Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CLAN#MEYER

AMD or NVIDIA.

DOOM has not been working for me the past couple of days and just got it working so I wanted to share some info for those of you facing similar issues

Doom no matter how I launch it(admin,exe,shortcut,steam) it would stop at loading so after messing with it for a while now I rolled back the newest AMD driver to the last one now it works

my specs
i5 4570
12g Ram
AMD R9 290X
2TB HDD

If you want better performance for DOOM 4 and don't want to break the bank, stick with AMD.

Vulkan is heavily based off of AMD's Mantle tech (as is DirectX 12). All AMD cards with the GCN 1.0+ architecture were built for Vulkan/DX12. My 4 year old HD 7950 runs the game solid 90+ fps with Vulkan, and my R9 Nano hits the 200 fps cap occasionally.

The RX 480 just came out early July. It is the AMD equivalent of the GTX 980/1070, and even exceeds it at times. Its also only $200 for the 4gb version - half the price of a 1070. In DOOM 4, the RX 480 beats out the 980 in Vulkan and is on par with the 1070.

Nvidia GPUs do not have hardware Async. AMD GCN 1.0+ cards do; therefore, they benefit exponentially more from DX 12 and Vulkan than Nvidia cards do.

Also, you're gonna see a lot of GTX 970 cards drop in price - AVOID THEM unless you are okay with false advertising (they are truly 3.5gb cards, not 4gb) and want to gamble with low GPU usage issues. I think there's still a thread on the Nvidia forums regarding the GTX 970 and the gpu usage problem that has hit 300+ pages. That's just downright irresponsible.

If you don't mind not being futureproof, pick up an NVidia gpu if you find it cheaper than a modern AMD gpu. Otherwise, let Nvidia learn from their mistakes for a bit with drops in sales, and force them to improve.

The Linux VGA-passthrough world has already dumped Nvidia in favor of AMD as well.

You can google all the above if you want to verify.