Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shaviro

Drooly has eyes!

The Lotr cave troll looks cute, the HK looks badass - 'nuff said :-)

A cyberdemon with the size of the balrog from LotR would be nice. But, isn't the cybie about 7 metres tall? The balrog must be alittle taller than that, eh?

MRB_Doom said:

A cyberdemon with the size of the balrog from LotR would be nice. But, isn't the cybie about 7 metres tall? The balrog must be alittle taller than that, eh?

Like a shitload other people, you're being deceived by the fact that all the old Doom enemies seem rather small. Look at the old HK, compare it to the cybie, look at the new Hell Knight and imagine how huge the Cybie would be next to it.
I think the cybie will end up being about the size of Chton from Quake 1.
And actually, the Balrog seems to be the size of a Tyrannosaurus Rex to my eyes, which is a meager five metres tall.

dsm said:

Like a shitload other people, you're being deceived by the fact that all the old Doom enemies seem rather small. Look at the old HK, compare it to the cybie, look at the new Hell Knight and imagine how huge the Cybie would be next to it.
I think the cybie will end up being about the size of Chton from Quake 1.
And actually, the Balrog seems to be the size of a Tyrannosaurus Rex to my eyes, which is a meager five metres tall.

I liked the cybie when he was one hundred times bigger than his normal size, but it's quite difficult to get your dreams into a motion picture :(

MaCvILeWhOrE said:

while were at it, where the hell is dima? And Zaldron? I miss those guys :(

They grew tired of DW and left :-(
I know that most of the vets hang out in a hidden forum specifically for DW vets somewhere. The only way to join this forum is if one of those guys contact you (by AIM/email/whatever) and ask you if you're interested. If you are, you'll get a password and the url and then you can join the fray.
I've been told that they vote for new members.

dsm said:

They grew tired of DW and left :-(
I know that most of the vets hang out in a hidden forum specifically for DW vets somewhere. The only way to join this forum is if one of those guys contact you (by AIM/email/whatever) and ask you if you're interested. If you are, you'll get a password and the url and then you can join the fray.
I've been told that they vote for new members.

Hey, I'm actually a 01-01 member, how are we supposed to know if they're ever gonna contact any of us rather oldies, here from DW?

MRB_Doom said:

Hey, I'm actually a 01-01 member, how are we supposed to know if they're ever gonna contact any of us rather oldies, here from DW?

We aren't supposed to know - simple as that.
They just pop out of nowhere asking you if you wanna join and if you want, you'll get a password and the url.

And in case you didn't get it before: THEY decide who joins.

dsm said:

We aren't supposed to know - simple as that.
They just pop out of nowhere asking you if you wanna join and if you want, you'll get a password and the url.

And in case you didn't get it before: THEY decide who joins.

Sounds extremely restricted. Like a private club or something.

MRB_Doom said:

Sounds extremely restricted. Like a private club or something.

yea.. i personally don't like this idea, but.. it's up to them to decide how to choose their members anyway :p

The_Tonx said:

yea.. i personally don't like this idea, but.. it's up to them to decide how to choose their members anyway :p

I guess. It's a shame we didn't get a NCP or something when the invasion began here on the forums. Perhaps the oldies would still be here. I miss Jeremy :)

I don't think (or want) the cyber will be much bigger than the Hell Knight. A meter at most.

Heh, i've been here ever since the d3 forum started up WAY WAY back, I'm sure I'm a vet, or close to it, I don't expect to be let in though, they probably have special parties with STRIPPERS and the like.

And they probably have a theme song like the stonecutters...

Shaviro said:

I don't think (or want) the cyber will be much bigger than the Hell Knight. A meter at most.

Why not? It'd suck if it isn't big enough.

dsm said:

Why not? It'd suck if it isn't big enough.

It'd suck even more if it looked like a mis-proportioned and over-scaled freak.

Yeah, the creatures in Doom were pretty small now that we're trying to imagine what "realistically" we would see coming out of a hell portal. The hell-knight seems really badass and I think is the perfect height for a very average monster from hell. The cyberdemon should be bigger... but I think it should stay at around it's 6 to 7 meter height if it's going to have the same general body proportions.

The problem is, at risk of sounding like a wise-ass, volume and therefore weight increases at a rate cubed whereas area (his hoof size) increases at a rate squared. A cyber demon the size of the Balrog would look silly and wouldn't have the OMG! presence that it should. If it's going to be that massive, it needs a bigger footprint. It wouldn't look realistic from a physics standpoint either. What will happen more likely is that they'll change the design substantially like they have with all the other creatures.

Actually, making a monster that looks totally unrealistic, eg. really thin, wafey legs on a giant beast could be great for the mood... you would really know that there are some dark and evil forces that created that monster.

About the berserk thing.... I just think it's too unrealistic. Berserk is almost a cartoon power-up. I don't think it fits in with Carmack's realism-driven vision.

And, who cares if they have private rooms? It's not like they have D3 info to hoard.

We can assume that the cybie's footprints is going to be bigger, if it's body and legs are going to be bigger.

berserker has to be there...nuff said...
i think it could look damn fucking sweet with a red haze, see your fist with that distinctive ring there and with the adrenaline pump your kicking some demon ass...
Now that you mention those eyes...Drolly looks even more badass then before...nice one dude...

Crix said:

The problem is, at risk of sounding like a wise-ass, volume and therefore weight increases at a rate cubed whereas area (his hoof size) increases at a rate squared. A cyber demon the size of the Balrog would look silly and wouldn't have the OMG! presence that it should. If it's going to be that massive, it needs a bigger footprint. It wouldn't look realistic from a physics standpoint either. What will happen more likely is that they'll change the design substantially like they have with all the other creatures.

I don't get your logic. The Balrog has many proportions similar to the cybie, so why wouldn't they be able to pull off a cybie the same size as the balrog? O_o

Cybie has more human proportions compared to the balrog. I just think that a 7 meter tall "humanoid" would look unimpressive. That's my main point.

I bet they'll really emphasize the new cyberdemon's goat-like features. I'm really curious what they'll do with him because frankly, the cyberdemon doesn't seem to fit in the universe that they've painted so far. Personally, I think the new hell knight is the coolest looking monster I've seen. It has such a terrifying presence. I almost feel like the monsters shouldn't have the ability to carry weapons... only the zombies should. Speaking of which, I hope they haven't canned that skull face zombie shown at the macworld demo. We haven't seen any pics of him since then...

Damnit, aren't I a member yet?? :( argh

I doubt too many of those human proportions will return in Doom 3 - they are not what made the original cybie cool.

Hm... that's one of the skeloton head guys but I was referring to a different one. I don't have the video here at work but I'm referring the skeleton head that we saw rotating to show off the cool bump mapping, shadows, etc. Wasn't there some collar or some clothing below the neck that made him look like a zombie marine? Maybe I'm mistaken.

That one lying against the wall is well... naked. heh I want there to be more armed zombies with pistols and shotguns. I think the minigunner is kinda gay so I hope he's not around that much.

Crix said:

I think the minigunner is kinda gay so I hope he's not around that much.

You must be crazy!
The chaingunner is by far the most badass Doom 3 character together with the tentacle commando.
What's so gay about a badass soldier guy with a cool-ass minigun?

dsm said:

I doubt too many of those human proportions will return in Doom 3 - they are not what made the original cybie cool.

Nevertheless the Cyberdemon has human proportions, and thus a Cyberdemon the size of a 'proper' balrog would not look right or work because of the fractal involved.

I'd like to see the Chaingunner become more erratic and wild in its shooting.

Crix said:

...but I'm referring the skeleton head that we saw rotating to show off the cool bump mapping, shadows, etc. Wasn't there some collar or some clothing below the neck that made him look like a zombie marine

Ohhh!! him! yeah, he was cool. But Carmack said 'These are the characters for our next game, some of them'. I think a couple of those were high poly models to show off the GF3...

Yeah, that skeloton face zombie may have just been part of the tech demo. But I would really like to see that character as a standard shotgun marine for instance.

I really like the tentacle guy! But I've never liked the chaingunners... probably because I can't imagine anyone just walking around with a chaingun when they aren't really expecting any threat.

I like the chaingun weapon and it makes sense for the player character to get to use one... in fact, the chaingun is one of my favorite weapons. But chaingunner enemies have always lacked personality compared to the shotgun marines and imps who had to walk around a bit and had different attacks. The chaingunner just stands in one place and fires an indefinite ammount of ammo at you until you're dead. I hope they will have worked this out or can somehow better justify this guy carrying around such a huge gun.