Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dsm

Who's NOT looking forward to Doom 3?

BlueSonnet said:

From what i've heard, doom3 will most likely take up 10gb of hard drive space

10 gigs? i don't think so.

BlueSonnet said:

From what i've heard, doom3 will most likely take up 10gb of hard drive space, so it's easy to imagine how big tcs and mods are going to be. It's therefore going to be quite a strain on my 56k. Methinks the simple solution is to get a cable and speed up my Connection speed.

Do you know anyone who has tried the full version of Doom 3? No? Then how the Hell would anyone know how big it's gonna be?

Id might have come up with some sneaky way of allowing custom maps to not take up so much space, whereas the actual game launcher and engine itself will be what takes up space.

Of course, I don't know a shit about technology on this point, so I could be totally off anyway.

Doom 3 maps will supposedly take next to no space since theres no lightmaps and whatnot. I think I read "smaller than Quake 3 maps" somewhere.

Yay.

dsm said:

Do you know anyone who has tried the full version of Doom 3? No? Then how the Hell would anyone know how big it's gonna be?

Actually, taking another look at the source of information, there are other estimates going around, which are mostly lower. This is the place where i got the info. The thread is 3 months old though.

http://www.forumplanet.com/3dactionplanet/doom/topic.asp?fid=2308&tid=884513&p=1

btw:I'm just the messenger.

On the other hand i've heard the doom alpha is a hefty 3.7gb download so it does have me slightly worried about future downloading (slightly of course, because it's not a serious issue)

And no, i'm not telling you where i got this info from, and i wouldn't recommend anyone to do go find alpha stuff either, unless they're one for risks.

Fuck the alpha too. Like dsm has pointed out 47 (or is it 48) times, the alpha isn't going to give u any kind of clear picture of what the final game will be like.

BlueSonnet said:

btw:I'm just the messenger.

On the other hand i've heard the doom alpha is a hefty 3.7gb download so it does have me slightly worried about future downloading (slightly of course, because it's not a serious issue)

And no, i'm not telling you where i got this info from, and i wouldn't recommend anyone to do go find alpha stuff either, unless they're one for risks.

Kill the messenger! KILL THE MESSENGER! ;-P

The Alpha is unoptimized and its requirements may not at all be remiscent of the final product.

I know that the Rtc-3057 demo was up to an around 30 mb zipfile at some point shortly before release. A few days before release of the demo, the guys went through the file to "clean up" unwanted wasted space.

So there.

Point taken DSM. Case closed.

btw Aeromaster: yes i've heard an umpteen amount of times that the alpha shouldn't be taken as seriously the final outcome and i don't tke it too seriously either. Again i'm just the messenger (or a dead messenger lol)