Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

Video Card Troubleshooting

I have a 1.6 gigahertz Pentium 4 computer with, 768 megs of DDR Ram, a Radeon 9700 Pro. In Unreal Tournament 2k3, I only get 30-50ish fps...should that be expectd? I thought this card run it at a higher fps...it's not even doing much better than my Radeon 9000. I have the newest drivers and everything seems to be operating properly. Any ideas as to what's wrong?

have you tried comparison tests with other games?
what FPS do you get with Quake3? GLboom? HL?
have you tried changing some in-game settings like vertex shading, etc...?
I assume you are running winXP...

well first off 30 frames should be sufficient to play the game well at, but you should be getting more frames. Most people cant get great framerates in 2k3, with everything on, so dont feel bad. Run msconfig and clean all your crap up, and you could try just reinstalling your video card.

I have:

AMD Athlon XP 2000+ @ 1674 MHz
2 x Apacer 256 MB PC-2700 CL 2.5
Gigabyte 7VRXP
Hercules 3D Prophet 9700 PRO @ 9800 series (338/338 DDR MHz)

and 30-50 FPS is quite normal (I guess) in Unreal Tournament 2003 becuase I'm using 6 x Anti-Aliasing, 16 x Anisotrophic Filtering and texture quality and other such stuff at maximum.

No, you shouldn't be getting better framerates, and I'll tell you why - your processor. A 1.6Ghz Athlon is more than sufficient for Unreal Tournament 2003, but a 1.6Ghz P4 is pitiful, and hardly a match for your wonderful video card. Upgrade your processor as far as you can and you should see a significant performance boost.

Get an Epox 8rda+ A1 stepping motherboard and an xp 2100+ t-bred B aiuhb, can overclock that sumbitch from its stock 1.73 ghz to about 2.5 ghz with good air cooling. Save a lot of money too, and it'll outperform a 3.06 at gaming, multitasking it won't though. But most people don't multitask while gaming anyways.

Thanks, I'm glad to hear that it's not the card's fault. I was actually in the middle of an upgrade and I'm waiting for my new motherboard to come. :)