Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arioch

Half-Life 2 vs. Doom 3

I believe he was referring to your attitude, rather than the length of time you've been here.

Besides, relatively speaking (i.e. when you're compared to him) you are a newbie... although he's a newbie compared to me, so nyaah, or something :)

I can agree with that, but I don't see how your attitude has to do with Half Life sucking, or how thinking that Half-Life sucks qualifies you as a newbie. I might be missing something though.

The_Aeromaster said:

I can agree with that, but I don't see how your attitude has to do with Half Life sucking, or how thinking that Half-Life sucks qualifies you as a newbie. I might be missing something though.

Maybe it's the way you run off with "Half-Life sucks, blah blah blah" without presenting any reasons to back up your opinion.

Whatever. I am not going to make any assumptions on gameplay, because I haven't played the finished product of either. But on graphics alone, the H-L2 pics look pretty crap to me - inferior to the more recent games on the current Unreal technology, never mind the Doom3 engine. What I saw was pretty low detail models, quake2 resolution lightmaps - to be honest, apart from the amount of polygonal detail, overall it doesn't look leaps ahead of the original H-L to me.

Whereas Doom3 looks goddamn incredible. And sounds even better. As in in-game sound.

Budget permitting, I will be getting both though.

Howd'ya figure? As far as I can tell DooM3 is also going to a modern shooter with cutscenes, storyline etc. I am predisposed towards Doom3 though, because I really like the satanic settings and styles in Id's games. I prefer surreal kinds of environments to ones modified on reality. Like I'd love to see Doom3 (or just most games) with a little more imagination with the environments - I'd love to see some dusty green marble around rather than a goddamn interior of a space station. Still, the hell scenes might be good.

I hope they innovate with both though - all you seem to find in many games (and in a few Doom mods too surprisingly) these days is attempts to emulate Half-Life. How many times have you had to shut down a nuclear reactor, blow a hole in a wall, turn on an auxilliary power generator or crawl through a vent?

Some of these things had been done before H-L, but the proliferation of repeats only came after it.

BBG said:

Maybe it's the way you run off with "Half-Life sucks, blah blah blah" without presenting any reasons to back up your opinion.

I resent that... I just came in and said "Fuck Half-Life 2".
Only reason I can give is Half-Life sucked.

The_Aeromaster said:

[sarcasm] Yeah cause i just started coming here a week ago.

No becuase you outrightly said something stupid and uncalled for.. I will state it again.. newbie.. its has nothing to do with your date, just the way you act. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has them and they stink.

The_Aeromaster said:
I resent that... I just came in and said "Fuck Half-Life 2".
Only reason I can give is Half-Life sucked.

alright! alright! your not a newbie, you’re just a dumbass, OK?

Ct_red_pants said:

I lolled..

Your parents will now be instructed to love you less.

Ct_red_pants said:

Everyone's entitled to their own opinions. Now, go kick arse for the lord! :)

Lengis said:
Weren't vs threads banned?

/me rolls eyes

Uhhh, take a look at the fellow who started the thread...

Arioch began (just in case you forgot):
The obligatory comparison thread. I can't believe nobody has started this one.

Nether can I
Doom 3 and Half Life 2 actually do warren a comparison.

ravage said:
Everyone's entitled to their own opinions. Now, go kick arse for the lord! :)

alrighty...
/me throws a bible at imp.

OK, let me restate>
Fuck anyone who thinks that thinking Half-Life 2 will have nothing on D3 means anything except what it states.
Anyone who loves slang, please welcome, Mr. Dique
[crowd goes fucking nuts and hot women pass out from insanely intense orgasms]

The_Aeromaster said:

OK, let me restate>
Fuck anyone who thinks that thinking Half-Life 2 will have nothing on D3 means anything except what it states.
Anyone who loves slang, please welcome, Mr. Dique
[crowd goes fucking nuts and hot women pass out from insanely intense orgasms]

How old are you?

And this thread is on the highway to hell..

Ct_red_pants said:

alrighty...
/me throws a bible at imp.

I was talking about Blau 2. :)

NiGHTMARE said:

IMHO Doom 3 will have a better engine, but HL2 will have better gameplay.

I'm glad Shapeless isn't the only one with super mind powers, apparently NiGHTMARE can see into the future.

These screenshots have me fearing HL2 kicking doom3's ass. But having just looked at the zombie with the chainsaw pic, i can relax. :)

BlueSonnet said:

These screenshots have me fearing HL2 kicking doom3's ass. But having just looked at the zombie with the chainsaw pic, i can relax. :)

I have that too. It's things like that, that make me realize that I'm probably more of a fanboy I'd like to be.

I seem to be the only person who thinks that half-life 2 looks pretty average graphically, maybe even sub-par to some modern FPS's.

Still, I can't wait to play it. From what I read, it sounds like the gameplay will be awesome.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

I seem to be the only person who thinks that half-life 2 looks pretty average graphically, maybe even sub-par to some modern FPS's.

heh, no.. I think so too.

In terms of eye-candy, HL 2 is about on par with Unreal 2 (IMO). Subtle use of bump maps (no normal maps though), lightmapped shadows, etc. Not very next-gen, I would say. But it seems much more scalable than the Unreal engine at this point of time, catering to users with 700 MHz PCs. Certainly can't compete with DOOM 3 engine, not even close. Those ppl who say HL 2 has better graphics than DOOM 3 are probably rabid fanboys.

However, the physics and animation quality in HL 2 looks to be top-notch. Incredible facial expression, bullets that leave traces on the environment... Those are features yet unseen in modern FPSes, thus the hype and excitement. But then, DOOM 3 will probably have these features too (just that HL fanboys don't bother to notice), since you can already leave bullet holes on monsters in the alpha build. However, I hope that whoever working on the physics engine will implement the use of bumpmaps with normal lighting for wounds, instead of flat decals.

Furthermore, HL 2 physics engine is licensed from Havok, and IIRC, many games in development (eg. Deus Ex 2) are also using the same engine. As you can see now, HL 2's tech is not that special or impressive: just plain hype. Come to think of it, HL is not about graphics, but rather, focuses on gameplay, story and AI. And I think it will excel in these areas, and beat DOOM 3 in the aspect of AI. If I'm not wrong -- which I seldom is -- both games will have great gameplay and and a gripping story to boot.