Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ultimate Demon

DOOM 3 video shown @ E3

Disorder said:

How many games are out there with spiders? I honestly don't remember any, except Daikatana and Doom itself.

The Doom I/II/III 'spiders' aren't really spiders as they are supposed to have 8 legs...

Well, and the new Doom monsters aren´t really spiders, they don´t have 8 legs like a spider :)

I remember SiN having spider robots, and also heard Unreal2 has some spideresque monsters.

EDIT: yeah... what you just said :)

Job said:

I wonder if Doom III's chaingun will use the same rounds as the pistol (which'd be kinda dopey) or it's own variant of ammo?

Hmm, I haven't tried the Doom 3 Alpha, but I was under the impression that the pistol uses its own brand of ammo, while the machinegun uses a different type.
I would assume that the machinegun and the chaingun share ammo.

Can anyone confirm the stuff about the pistol and machinegun ammo?

dsm said:

Can anyone confirm the stuff about the pistol and machinegun ammo?

I don't remember for sure, but I actually think they shared ammo.

Fredrik said:

I don't remember for sure, but I actually think they shared ammo.

If that's the case, then I'll jump on the wagon for the "Hope-the-D3-chaingun-has-its-own-ammo-type" people.

Disorder said:

The more I watch the trailer, the more I fear the game is heavily scripted. There's a lot of scripted stuff in there. That's great the first time, but by playing a certain segment of the game again you'll see that half of the stuff is not happening spontaneously.

People keep saying that but I don't mind. Seeing the Half-Life scientist get nailed by the Tentacle Beast for the second or third time isn't as suprising as the first, but still pretty neat.

Also, this looks suspiciously like a Revenant with twin shoulder cannons :

There are approximately infinitely many different ways to design a corridor, and it looks like id has managed half of them with Doom 3.

Lord FlatHead said:

[pic with revenant]

Yay! Glowing eyes! I already like the D3 Rev way better than the old one.

Fredrik said:

There are approximately infinitely many different ways to design a corridor, and it looks like id has managed half of them with Doom 3.

True. Nice curvey hallways, kinda remind me of Unreal 2 but cooler.

Lord FlatHead said:

REVENANT IMAGES

It can't be anything else if you'd ask me. That's the new revenant I'm sure. I love it.
And if you pay attention, it seems that it has transparant legs or something. You can see that better in the trailer.

Lord FlatHead said:

I wouldn't quote those images if I were you.

Images removed. Why do they keep bitching about it here anyway? By the way, I've looked again and it didn't seem to have 'transparant' legs. I'm not sure but in some frames it looks like they glow in the dark.

Disorder said:

Images removed. Why do they keep bitching about it here anyway?

I believe it has something to do with the server being less happy about having to "host" too many images - but don't take my word for it. I'm no Admin.

Yes that IS the new Revenant... and he's looking great! :)
His missiles are still heat seaking and like you see in the video, he's fast and he kicks you around ;)

dsm said:

I believe it has something to do with the server being less happy about having to "host" too many images - but don't take my word for it. I'm no Admin.

No, it's just annoying to scroll down an endless list of images you've seen already.

fun-da-mental said:

Has anyone noticed shadows in screenshot, looks much better now.

What do you mean, the screenshots look better ? I think that's just because of the video blurring the edges, and the fact that they appear to be using more than one light in all of the scenes - which means none of the shadows are completely black.

Shaviro said:

Yes that IS the new Revenant... and he's looking great! :)
His missiles are still heat seaking and like you see in the video, he's fast and he kicks you around ;)

I hope his rockets are small enough to fit within those wee, tiny guns on its shoulders - they're still a bit too small for my taste, considering that they're rockets. (heh, I never thought I'd find myself being unhappy about a weapon being too small).

And yes, I've noticed that the shadows are far better in the screenshot with the half-spiders, but I have assumed that they would be in the later versions of D3 for a long time.

dsm said:

And yes, I've noticed that the shadows are far better in the screenshot with the half-spiders, but I have assumed that they would be in the later versions of D3 for a long time.

3/4 spiders actually :P

One thing I think looks stupid is how some monsters run up to you, then stop before they attack. It's doesn't make sense since they'd obviously get a lot more force by adding up their full velocity and mass to the strike. Might be an animation issue, but weird since some other monsters still do it right.

dsm said:

I hope his rockets are small enough to fit within those wee, tiny guns on its shoulders.

If you'd watch the video, right at the end of the scene you see the Revenant fire his rockets. They're pretty small and pretty bright, as far as I can tell. Looks cool, don't worry.

dsm said:

If that's the case, then I'll jump on the wagon for the "Hope-the-D3-chaingun-has-its-own-ammo-type" people.

I'm on that wagon. The doom pistol looks like a modafide 9mm. Chain gun bullits are huge. There no way ya can fit them in a pistol.

The new reverant is sweet. I looks like it has transperent skin. I think that it will be cool if light shines thorgh it.

Fredrik said:

One thing I think looks stupid is how some monsters run up to you, then stop before they attack. It's doesn't make sense since they'd obviously get a lot more force by adding up their full velocity and mass to the strike. Might be an animation issue, but weird since some other monsters still do it right.

I assume (and hope) it'll be fixed in the final version - it doesn't make sense if they react like that.

I just find it funny how a lot of the D3 monsters seem to be melee enemies. How about some more ranged attackers?

dsm said:

Yay! Glowing eyes! I already like the D3 Rev way better than the old one.

He almost looks ethereal... Very true to the original, yet cool in it's own right. And that's a lot coming from a full-fledged revenant-hater. Are there any other pics of Doom creatures in game? Such as the mancubus, (only saw the archie in a tentative game logo), arachnotron, baron, etc?

Fredrik said:

When I saw the video, and the revenant attacked, it seemed it did a sort of charge...no pause before the melee attack. Very cool, very dangerous.

Fredrik said:

And I thought I was the only one to be annoyed by that. It's not really all that bad, though it simply can be improved. It should slow down before it stops, but not suddenly stop as if it used the parking brake. Hopefully id will notice this flaw too.

Oh, and the Revenant does indeed fire it's missiles just before the scene cuts to another scene. It looks like the missiles act drunk, which looks cool. It seems as if they look for their target while rapidly flying forward.

dsm said:

I assume (and hope) it'll be fixed in the final version - it doesn't make sense if they react like that.

I just find it funny how a lot of the D3 monsters seem to be melee enemies. How about some more ranged attackers?

There will probably be lot's of gunwielding zombies I guess. The alpha's intro already showed something like three different soldiertypes walking around. If all of them become zombies, consider yourself unlucky :)

dsm said:

Ya that sucks. I liked doom cuz most monsters had range attacks. Hopfaly there will be more.

Disorder said:

By the way, do you guys expect to see more of Doom III for this E3? Or is this it?

hmm.. nah I don't think there will be anything major...

Job said:

He almost looks ethereal... Very true to the original, yet cool in it's own right. And that's a lot coming from a full-fledged revenant-hater.

Yay, I'm not alone!
Pleased to hear about those rockets, it's gonna be sweet when Doom 3 comes out!

There will probably be lot's of gunwielding zombies I guess. The alpha's intro already showed something like three different soldiertypes walking around. If all of them become zombies, consider yourself unlucky :)

Well, I know there'll be lots of gunwielding, projectile-firing enemies, but I still find it kinda funny that there seems to be THAT many melee enemies. Here are the ones I know and assume are melee only:

Zombies (fat and thin).
Heavy Chainsaw dudes. (heh, I couldn't help making that connection, since the chainsaw guy reminds me of the old chaingunner)
Pinky
Hell Knight (I REALLY want him to have at least one projectile attack, not just to make him more true to the Doom 2 HK, but also to have one less melee-only enemy)
(presumably) Head 3/4 spiders
Lost Soul'esque heads.
Tentacle commando.

That's, like, 7 enemies. Seems like quite a lot to me. I sure hope they attack you in very different ways, otherwise it's gonna be a little repetitive with all these melee thingies.

hmm.. nah I don't think there will be anything major...

And you don't call that video anything major?
Dude, that video just 'converted' a bunch of D3 sceptics :-P