Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dark santaclaus

about shadows

Lectrix said:

But i would wait if it meant more levels/monsters to battle, coz i don't want Doom 3 to be a short game, like all these new generation games. :(

Sadly, it seems like Doom 3 will be "short". I think Carmack said a veteran FPS player would be able to beat it in a weekend or so.

But when you say that new generation games are short, I'll have to disagree. Classic Doom is just as short, if not shorter than most FPS games today - I can beat all original three episodes in less than two days. Maybe I could beat them all in just one day if I felt like playing the old levels for that long.

No, it's just you who're too damn skilled ;-)

Lectrix said:

LOL, It amuses me to read these reply's, no offence, they all sound like nice idea's but im sure ID arn't going to concentrate on such difficult and compelling area's (Monsters grab your feet :) would be funny but i don't see it happening) compared to the simple style of shoot and run that doom has to live up to.

Rather, the run'n'gun style Doom3 has to surpass if it is to be a massive and enduringly popular game in the current climate of the genre.

Yeah thats what i mean't Toxic sorry :)

But DSM, I never found the original doom game short, took a while to do all the three episodes when i first played it all that while back, then they brought ultimate doom with that "thy flesh consumed" episode, took a while. But i just got that XIII game and it was 4 cd's, i thought wow, must be a big game, but no, i was wrong...

Lectrix said:

But DSM, I never found the original doom game short, took a while to do all the three episodes when i first played it all that while back, then they brought ultimate doom with that "thy flesh consumed" episode, took a while. But i just got that XIII game and it was 4 cd's, i thought wow, must be a big game, but no, i was wrong...

The original Doom didn't seem short because back then, most people weren't as skilled (at FPSs) as they are now, so it took them lots of reloads and lots of careful consideration to progress which amounted a lot of time. Most of us, if not all of us here have played the FPS genre for years, hence, we can easily blaze through most FPS games without much trouble.

In my understanding Doom3 is only short when you deliberatly speedrun through the game. But if you take the story seriously, interact with the various things in the levels (the scripting system allows a lot to do with computer terminals and the like) and explore your environment, then it hopefully won´t be short.

At least I´m faithful that id Software´s level will have a good exploration factor like their previous titles, with a "spacey", non-straight progression through the maps (Unreal2 was so damn annyoing with it´s poor, strictly one-way room-corridor-room level design), clever shortcuts and secrets.

Lectrix said:

im sure ID arn't going to concentrate on such difficult and compelling area's (Monsters grab your feet :) would be funny but i don't see it happening) compared to the simple style of shoot and run that doom has to live up to.

Doom3 isn´t simple run-and-gun... for example if you stand on a Zombie he won´t be able to raise again, so that´s not very far from the monsters grabbing your feet idea.