Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dude666

Hardware Question

Hi,

I've read all over the internet that the hardware requirements for Doom3 are...

1GHz CPU
256MB RAM
GF1 or Radeon 7xxx series card

I understand the CPU speed and the RAM requirements, but I'm not up to speed on the history of video cards that have been released since I got my machine. I have an NVIDA GeForce 256 that I got back in 2000. Can someone reply with a general list of the GeForce cards that have been release since this one and what the current best one is? (just looking for a basic list so I can know what I'm reading when I look for one on ebay).

Thanks

Actually, most of the 57xx series should handle Doom3 okay. Decently, anyway.

Also, for the record, the FAQ should be changed to reflect that A) not all GeforceFXes will run the game "excellently", and Radeon 9500s, 9600s, and 9700s will likely run the game "excellently".

Right now, the "Excellent" system requirements section says "GeforceFXes and Radeon 9800 series". This is an error.

If I disable the shadows, do I have a chance to run it on my TNT2? I don't care if I have to run it on 640x480
Sorry if this is answered in the FAQ, but don't know so much about videocards

Vegeta said:

If I disable the shadows, do I have a chance to run it on my TNT2? I don't care if I have to run it on 640x480
Sorry if this is answered in the FAQ, but don't know so much about videocards

Nobody knows. All that was said you need at least a vid card with directx 7 capabilities. I think the TNT2 is directx7 compliant. My guess is that if you disable all features you will get 15 fps in 320*160. Just buy a new card if the game is available to be sure.

No. The TNT2 will not run Doom 3. It requires DX7 compliant hardware, not DX7 compatible hardware. DX7 compliance requires a fully-fuctional fixed-function T&L unit.

Besides that it doesn't even almost have the fillrate to keep up with what the D3 engine does.

I really can't imagine a Geforce256 (the actual baseline) or R100 (original radeon) keeping up with doom3.

How much money do you have to buy a new video card?

And to answer your question:

(these are in order)

GeForce 256 --> Your Card
GeForce 2 Pro+GTS/MX (High end/Low end)
Geforce 3
Geforce 4 TI/MX (high end/low end)
Geforce FX 5800/5600/5200 series (high End/Midrange/Low end)
GeForce FX 5900U/5900NU/5900XT (Bleeding Edge/High End/Mainstram)
GeForce FX 5950 (Higher clocked GeForce 5900U)