Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nycgamer

How do you think DOOM 3 will compete with Far Cry, STALKER, Hl2, Painkiller, etc.?

Intel17: go back and read the FAQ again. No huge images except in links, thanks :)

I agree about Doom 3 being superior to the other three. It's not close to being photorealistic, though, rather to resembling the graphics in computer animated movies.

Sorry Fredrik, wont happen again :)

Well Doom 3 isnt meant to emulate the real world, its supposed to be on a far off mars base and Hell :)

STALKER just used textures made from actual shots of the place. Far cry is all glossy and looks only marginally better than UE2, and HL2, well its a little behind doom 3 engine but i doubt the game will ever be released.

Intel17 said:

Far Cry does not compete graphically with Doom 3.

Doom 3

Far Cry

I think we know which game looks better. Far Cry's characters till cannot convince you that it is real. Doom 3 while still couldnt convince you it is real, does a DAMN good job and is extremely close.

Actually, I think it's rather tough to say exactly which has the best stuff from these screenies - Id's artists are clearly better, but what about the graphics engine itself?
I've seen other Far Cry shots that better provide the impression of the graphics being inferior to Doom 3's, however.

dsm, I didnt wanna make Far Cry look too bad, i just wanted to get my point across. ID software (read: Carmack) will always have the best engines. Epic is a close second and the rest of the developers are watever.

Intel17 said:

dsm, I didnt wanna make Far Cry look too bad, i just wanted to get my point across. ID software (read: Carmack) will always have the best engines. Epic is a close second and the rest of the developers are watever.

So I understood, I just felt that there are other Far Cry screenies that get this point across better (and I wanted to point out that the screenie you showed looked badass :-P).
Don't take it as criticism, just random babble ;-)

ToXiCFLUFF said:

IRL, you can't take down a whole camp of highly trained mercenaries on foot.

Heh, next time I argue I'll think first. (well, the game did say you had special forces training anyway)

Moving on...

I think what looks better is a matter of opinion. Far Cry's indoor scenes come close, but dont match what I've seen of D3. The detail is comparitavely simple, and it is using a mish mash of lighting methods. The characters seem to be rendered with exactly the same methods, but as DSM said, id's artists win this one. But the outdoor levels, while being a completely different piece of technology, are unsurpassed as far as I'm concerned. Using quite a simple premise of LOD's, the time tested heightmap and a magnificent pixel shader on the water, they actually managed to make something beautiful, rather than just technologically impressive.

Far Cry's interiors are awesome. While they may not be up to the standard of how Doom 3 looks, never the less they're convincingly creepy. You can't knock those lighting effects.

Yeah but in Far Cry it still uses standard light maps. What is most revolutionary about doom 3 is that the lighting is completely real time, dynamic and is on EVERY surface. Its like in 1996 when Duke 3d, Descent, Quake came out, the only game that was revolutionary was Quake, not because of its textures, but the fact they were REAL 3D models. Doom 3 is this kind of a step whereas HL2, Stalker, Far Cry are just evilutionary because they are only marginally better than Unreal 2003 engine.

Get what i mean?

Intel17 said:

uhh not really. When Unreal 1 came out it blew Quake 2 and every game out there away in terms of graphics. Only until Quake 3 came out did iD catch up and surpass, but then UT2k3 came out, and Epic was ahead again. Now Doom 3 is comming out soon, but then Unreal 3 will come out and blow it away. It's a seesaw effect constantly.

oscillik said:

descent had 3d enemy models/sprites?

i think not!!!!!!

Umm, yeah, it did. All the enemies are totally 3D, textured. The only sprites that exist in the first two Descent games are pretty much just pickups. Even those were thrown out the window in Descent 3.

Lengis said:

uhh not really. When Unreal 1 came out it blew Quake 2 and every game out there away in terms of graphics. Only until Quake 3 came out did iD catch up and surpass, but then UT2k3 came out, and Epic was ahead again. Now Doom 3 is comming out soon, but then Unreal 3 will come out and blow it away. It's a seesaw effect constantly.

Quake 3 engine has been modded to look as good/better than unreal engine 2.

Look at elite force 2 or jedi knight 2. Hell, look at Call of Duty!!

Unreal engine really isnt as moddable as Quake 3's engine, i mean Quake 3 looks worse than UT2k3/2K4 but thats because it had to run on P3 450's and Voodoos. Now with newer hardware available the Q3 engine can be used to its full potential with a few mods/tweaks.

I suspect doom 3 engine will be no different.

Lengis said:

uhh not really. When Unreal 1 came out it blew Quake 2 and every game out there away in terms of graphics.

Wasn't Quake 2 already something in the area of 2 years old by then?

Scuba Steve said:

Wasn't Quake 2 already something in the area of 2 years old by then?

About six months, but close enough.

DoomUK said:

How do I get this .rar file to work in Far Cry?

Unrar the file, move everything to the map: FarCry/levels. type in the console "\map kai_light2"

That is it

ToXiCFLUFF said:

Kumawar sounds like such a cash-in, I can't help but be put off even trying it out to be honest.

Is it because it deals with a current war as opposed to one that happened long ago? I find this interesting, since the issue of time passed has nothing to do with the actual principle behind whether or not a virtual reinactment of war itself is in some way objectionable.

Apart from the fact that games based on old wars are made when everyone has completely forgotten them. Yeah that.

nycgamer said:

Is it because it deals with a current war as opposed to one that happened long ago? I find this interesting, since the issue of time passed has nothing to do with the actual principle behind whether or not a virtual reinactment of war itself is in some way objectionable.

Yes, it's exactly that. People aren't so riled up over WWI/I as the current situation, for instance.

What about Stalker: shadow of chernobyl?, thats looking pretty damn good, dunno when it will be out though (probably not for a long time yet)

deathbringer said:

What about Stalker: shadow of chernobyl?, thats looking pretty damn good, dunno when it will be out though (probably not for a long time yet)

You meant S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadows of Chernobyl. One of the gayest video game names ever. Remember the 7 periods!

Personally, I think DOOM 3 is going to completely anihilate every game that is considered "competition" except for Half-Life 2. Depending on how both of them turn out, I think they are going to be neck and neck. But as far and improvement from the ORIGINAL version of the game. The coversion from Doom to Doom 3 is better no question compared to Half-Life and half-life 2