Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shaviro

New Doom3 (PC) Screenshot

S1lent said:

I really want to see like a 30 second clip of each of the monsters getting shot. Everytime I look at a pic of them I wonder what they are going to do or look like when they've been shot or wounded. Will a bullet leave a mark in them? Or will they just whip back?

There will be damage decals in the game. Check out the E3 trailer from last year and look at the pinky scene.

The aspect ratio and the way the Hell Knight is lit relative to the surroundings leads me to believe it's not a screenshot, but it looks awesome anyway.

The thing looks like a mess of sprouting, jagged triangles. I think it's hideous. And because it has motion blur, the image is doctored, which means it was made to look BETTER than the actual game.

No, it looks better in game because there it doesn't look like a mess of sprouting, jagged triangles.

Even with all that shit you guys are talking about, it still looks fine as Hell, I can't wait to be blowin the shit out of it personally, or having it throw me into a wall like a lard arsed zombie!

dammit oculdnt they wait another year for the release..i just blew away hundreds on 5.1 speakers set and high definition sound card anticipating that doom 3 will be relased maybe next year..NOW this...must kill fredrick

Thats pretty badass looking, I'm dissapointed about the hell knight having eyes though. I think it was cool about the whole eyeless thing, maybe that it would just be able to smell where you were and have some sort of evil sense oo somethin because it comes from hell and spends its life in the dark hunting in caves or something to that effect.

Fredrik said:

No, it looks better in game because there it doesn't look like a mess of sprouting, jagged triangles.

Provide an ounce of support for this statement because I can't make any sense of it.

AndrewB said:

Provide an ounce of support for this statement because I can't make any sense of it.

Obviously your either drunk as fuck or really stupid then.

Look kid, you seriously need to grow out of this "personal attacks are cool" phase.

AndrewB said:

Look kid, you seriously need to grow out of this "personal attacks are cool" phase.

I aint no kid you stupid fuck and by the way look man you need to shut the fuck up and go fuck yourself with a fuckin knife.

Tyockell said:

I aint no kid you stupid fuck and by the way look man you need to shut the fuck up and go fuck yourself with a fuckin knife.

Wow, you're quite the witty one.

AndrewB said:

I thought that he was saying that the models looks better when theyre moving. Its hard to prove, but the movies *do* look better than the stils even thoght there much more pixelated and blurry

and i thought the game *DID* have real motion blur? I know the illegal alpha has it when you get hit, and it looks cool

If it has motion blur, it should be implemented globally throughout the game. Otherwise it's just a lame trick/hack that Carmack spoke against in the beginning.

The Hellkight looks a lot better in game. Nothing is actually different about it in the alpha except the textures look a bit worse. But when you see it in motion and you see the way the light affects the bump maps and moves over the surfaces of the body, not to mention the self-shadowing, you get to appreciate it a lot more. This screen-shot is just butt ugly. Showing the HK at this size and with this lighting shows the deficiencies of the model and textures. The model is very angular/low poly looking and you can see some stretching in the textures, which don't look so hot anymore next to the unreal3 engine demo's high res textures. And the HK looks pasted in because the lighting on its body doesn't match the background, not to mention the photoshop blur on the hand. But like I said, it looks very nice in game, almost like rendered cg.

AndrewB said:

Unless you've played the alpha or any other version of the game, please be silent.

(Basically; you won't notice the triangle edges when the model moves).

Skeletor said:

i forget. is there going to be a baron of hell?

The Baron of Hell is a Doom staple. Why the Baron wouldn't show up in Doom3 is beyond me, but we'll just have to wait and see...

Fredrik said:

Unless you've played the alpha or any other version of the game, please be silent.

(Basically; you won't notice the triangle edges when the model moves).

I've played it and I've most certainly noticed it.

AndrewB, what game doesn't have some noticable polygonal qualities? If you hate Doom 3 so much, as it appears you do, why do you pay so close attention to its progress and specifications? Why not just play Doom and Doom 2 and be happy? : )

Fredrik said:

Strange, I didn't. My vision must be broken.

So is mine it seems!

Scabbed Angel said:

AndrewB, what game doesn't have some noticable polygonal qualities? If you hate Doom 3 so much, as it appears you do, why do you pay so close attention to its progress and specifications? Why not just play Doom and Doom 2 and be happy? : )

For a jagged mess of sprouting triangles, it sure does look better to me than any other jagged mess of sprouting triangles.

Who cares if its jagged, its made of polys so you cant get round it unless u want ID to design this game for a super computer (may not be far from truth). I mean ive made a 3d model or two and you can't complain coz it's hard work. I'm impressed with ID's method of modeling, the models may not be CG but the bump mapped textures more than enough compensate imo.

I bet the artists spent ages designing and modeling their little hellknight (he seems to be the monster we see the most) if someone came up to me and said "Err your model looks cac" i'd slap em within an inch of their life lol. ;D

I really doubt it is a photoshop or composite, since:

1). You'd have to be out of your right mind to cut and paste a huge monster like that from one scene to another just for a posterity shot for an already awesome engine. (And then subsequently modify it)

2). The background (would be a raster layer) does not seem to be affected by the motion blurring, and while it is still possible to do, it would take an insane amount of time to do it. Refer to #1.

3). It would appear that as someone else noted, the motion blur effect happens when you are attacked (slashed by an imp especially in the alpha). It does not seem that unlikely that it can't be done in the full product.

But I don't really know so it is opened for debate. But with my experience photoshopping things, I'd say you're nuts if you want to tinker with it that much to make it photorealistic.

AndrewB said:

And because it has motion blur, the image is doctored

Unlikely. Call of Duty has motion blur, so why not Doom3?