Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xenaero

Will doom3 take away alot of players from classic doom permenatly?

I'll definetly stop playing Classic Doom.........at least till i finish Doom3 :P

Melfice said:

To sum it up the community will probably be split in two between editing under classic doom within sourceports and Doom 3 editing, and the major factor being how well of a rig that map author owns.

My computer can adequately play Quake, Quake II and the all the Quake 3 Arena derivatives perfectly well. Same goes for the Unreal engine games and most other true 3d games out there. If I had wanted to make the move away from classic Doom to a true 3d engine I would have done it years ago. The release of Doom3 isn't going to make any difference.

Edit: A personally I think the more telling question is whether the mods move the Doom3 forums above the Classic Doom forums on the forums homepage :P

My computer can adequately play Quake, Quake II and the all the Quake 3 Arena derivatives perfectly well. Same goes for the Unreal engine games and most other true 3d games out there. If I had wanted to make the move away from classic Doom to a true 3d engine I would have done it years ago. The release of Doom3 isn't going to make any difference.

Those games are beside the point as we're talking about the Doom franchise in general. Not to mention, those games are also far from as advanceed as Doom 3 is in graphics, technology, and what they are capable of doing, which is what will draw alot of people to want to edit for Doom 3 if they do.

Melfice said:

Those games are beside the point as we're talking about the Doom franchise in general. Not to mention, those games are also far from as advanceed as Doom 3 is in graphics, technology, and what they are capable of doing, which is what will draw alot of people to want to edit for Doom 3 if they do.

Those games are entirely the point. Doom3 is just another technological step forward from previous generations of next-gen engines after Doom. If people had wanted to move on from classic doom they would have done so already. The only thing Doom3 really has in common with classic doom is the name. Gameplay-wise (and that's the real reason why people still play classic doom) Doom3 is not going to offer anything that could lure a classic-doom player away.

I'm afraid to say I'd incline my step toward Doom3 permanently, not only it looks fantastic new classic but also it will bring up tons of user mod. :D

In other words I'm tired of playing doom/doom2/final doom/etc stuff..
me want new brand Doomish experience and it's very glad to see Doom3 comming in 2-3 weeks.

I think if it has as much atmosphere and interesting stuff to do as doom1 did.. then yeah, I'll probably leave classic doom behind for a while.

Thats the thing that turned me off to doom2. I LOVED doom for it's atmosphere and 'this could be real' feeling to it. but doom2 was just a mess :/

We'll all be stoked when Doom 3 comes out, and yeah, we'll probably all stop playing the originals, but slowly, we'll all come back and D3 will just fit in with the usual gaming rotation.

Yeah, I'll put away my Classic Doom, but I won't be getting rid of it. Not at all. Why would I?

I'm pretty sure I would have played DOOM 3 in the future had DOOM and DOOM II never existed.

Melfice said:

I think you missed the point entirely. Ok, Doom3 shares it's name with the previous Dooms, but aside from the name and what little plot there is, Doom3 is a completely different game. If you can make the half-assed point that Quake and Unreal are so technologically inferior to Doom3 and that's why gamers will abandon them in mass for Doom3, then you could also mention that this was the reason gamers abandoned Doom for Quake, which isn't really much of a case seeing as that there are still a lot of mappers and players dooming.

So, chances are if Doom has survived "the next big thing" for many years, there's no reason to say otherwise now.

Even if Doom 3 ended up being anywhere near as great a breakthrough as Doom was, I'd still return to the classics for a number of reasons:

1. Nostalgia - I'm a sentimental fool who likes to be reminded of his first Doom experiences.

2. The old Doom engine's capability to throw hordes of monsters at you - admittedly, this wasn't what "made Doom" for me, but it's nice to fight a huge army of demons for a change and I'm pretty sure Doom 3 can't throw such an amount of monsters at you (that'd be quite an achievement if it could).

3. Fast pace - again, the fast pacing of the classics didn't mean much to me, but it does set the classics apart from modern shooters and is nice for a change.

4. Cool music that I never really tire of.

5. I'm working together with a bunch of guys on a rather ambitious mod project for classic Doom (in the ZDoom engine) and I'd hate to leave that behind, because it's interesting to work on.

DD_133 said:

This question popped into my mind and I was wondering, because doom3 is so cool/great/fantastic looking, will it draw away a large portion of the calssic doom crowd permenatly into it's gloomy modern depths? My point may be baseless but heh.

No, I think Doom3 will attract more people to the original Doom and Doom2, rather than drawing people away from them.
And for the record, just because Doom3 will be out in a little while doesn't mean I'll stop playing and mapping for Doom and Doom2, no way, not for a very long time.

Linguica said:

Of course not, what a dumb notion

Yeah, now I feel stupid for asking. -_-

DooMBoy said:

No, I think Doom3 will attract more people to the original Doom and Doom2, rather than drawing people away from them.

Stupidity can be concealed! ;)