Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZiGZaG

No CO-OP?

I thought id was gonna release Doom3 with a co-op option to play up to 4 players. I ran out and got me and a bud a copy came home, tore open the box, about broke my cd tray getting disks in and about installing it, login, click multiplayer...I felt like wwhaamp wwhhaamp whaaaa...NO CO-OP! Only deathmatch and all the other forms of killing other people... ugh... and only 4 player deathmatch at that... what's up with that? not even up to 32 player so at least some sort of CTF mod could be made out of it, to possibly extend the life of the game... How many 4 player max mods can you make that would be decent... At least with Doom and Doom 2, you could build levels for fighting along side your buddy against demons from hell and build levels for deathmatching... This is one of the biggest down points for me anyway so far... I guess me and my bud can sit on the phone and describe where each other are at while playing heh *sigh* unless we want to run around killing each other wahoo<-sarcastic...

Doom3 is cool so far I guess... If you enjoy single player and 4 player deathmatch... not really worth the 60.00 with tax I just shelled out for it. Oh well... live and learn...

If ya need me you can call me at 1-850-555-solo I'll be playing with myself...er by myself...in SINGLE PLAYER!

I don't know why the hell you would assume that PC Doom 3 would be shipping with a co-op mode because this has been known for months now.

However, I wouldn't give up so quickly just yet as there is already a mod in the works to add co-op.

Cool, that makes me feel a little better. I never sat and combed the net for every snip of information on the game to know. I only thought that if id was release'n a Doom3 it would be like the first 2 as far as gameplay. Just disappointed me when there was no co-op play. I'm not much on playing through a game solo. If I do it's usually one time then I shelf it. Deathmatch is cool, but... I've gotta be in the right mood to sit and play it.

Thanks for the info.

I remember reading that coop would be in the game. This would have been a few months ago (not more than I year I believe), although the article could have been dated. I believe it gave the coop intentions to be like halo.

I feel your pain, I was dissapointed when I found out there was no co-op in the PC version. But like Dittohead says there'll be a co-op mod in one shape or another in the very near future.

Doom is extremly modable, that is probably the primary reason why I am getting the game, I wouldn't worry about its life span.

Black Hand said:

Doom is extremly modable, that is probably the primary reason why I am getting the game, I wouldn't worry about its life span.

to remind you co-op was a exclusive feature of the xbox version

Hmmm...interesting, I checked out the links...after scanning the .zip file about 12x for any trojans or virii heh... If this is a legit co-op mod have you gotten it to work? If so how? There's no text files in the .zip and I see it is a packfile. I transfered it to my other home PC that has no inet connection and tried to set it up under multiplayer there's no co-op still? Then I looked under the MOD section of the main menu; still no co-op mode?

So what does this packfile actually do? Just curious thought maybe someone could shine a little light on it for me...maybe I'm doing something wrong. Thanks!

ZiGZaG said:

Hmmm...interesting, I checked out the links...after scanning the .zip file about 12x for any trojans or virii heh... If this is a legit co-op mod have you gotten it to work? If so how? There's no text files in the .zip and I see it is a packfile. I transfered it to my other home PC that has no inet connection and tried to set it up under multiplayer there's no co-op still? Then I looked under the MOD section of the main menu; still no co-op mode?

So what does this packfile actually do? Just curious thought maybe someone could shine a little light on it for me...maybe I'm doing something wrong. Thanks!

Just a note:The only way to get cutscenes to work with it (the mod) is to kill your partner before the cutscene starts. At least that's what I think you have to do.

Oh and this packfile seems awefully small to be something as huge in my opinion as a co-op mod would be.

Thanks for any information on this.

Eternal Dreams said:

Just a note:The only way to get cutscenes to work with it (the mod) is to kill your partner before the cutscene starts. At least that's what I think you have to do.

Yes but have you gotten it to work? That's the question, if it works I really don't care about the cut scenes, or the new weapons as mentioned on the co-op3 website or any new creatures as mentioned on the co-op3 website...I just wanna run through this game with my friend.

Doom is what started us both on our long journey through multiplayer pc gaming when Doom first hit the market with it's shareware version. Shortly after we both learned how to make levels in DEU, shortly after that I learned how to run a bbs and hosted ALL Doom related files for the local market (.wad files, sound samples etc.). When Doom2 was released we both dove into running an 8 line bbs to host 2 4-player multiplayer games via the bbs system so you didn't have to do the 2 player dial-up direct connection play. It was a major deal here where I live, there was no other bbs like it at the time for over a 500 mile radius. That last until the internet became a household thing and Kali was developed *sigh* (the good old days where gone).

Now here it is all these years later and we now have Doom3 and I can't run through the game with my friend like the "ole days" unless I wanna create a game to kill him.

I know this was long and prolly nothing anyone cared to even know, just someone tell me if they have gotten any co-op mod to work yet. Thanks

ZiGZaG said:

Yes but have you gotten it to work? That's the question, if it works I really don't care about the cut scenes, or the new weapons as mentioned on the co-op3 website or any new creatures as mentioned on the co-op3 website...I just wanna run through this game with my friend.

Doom is what started us both on our long journey through multiplayer pc gaming when Doom first hit the market with it's shareware version. Shortly after we both learned how to make levels in DEU, shortly after that I learned how to run a bbs and hosted ALL Doom related files for the local market (.wad files, sound samples etc.). When Doom2 was released we both dove into running an 8 line bbs to host 2 4-player multiplayer games via the bbs system so you didn't have to do the 2 player dial-up direct connection play. It was a major deal here where I live, there was no other bbs like it at the time for over a 500 mile radius. That last until the internet became a household thing and Kali was developed *sigh* (the good old days where gone).

Now here it is all these years later and we now have Doom3 and I can't run through the game with my friend like the "ole days" unless I wanna create a game to kill him.

I know this was long and prolly nothing anyone cared to even know, just someone tell me if they have gotten any co-op mod to work yet. Thanks

I'm still waiting to GET Doom 3. :P There were movies of the mod runining though and Player 1 had to kill Player 2 a few steps before the game's final cutscene started. I don't think he did that on purpose. :P

ZiGZaG said:

... I transfered it to my other home PC that has no inet connection and tried to set it up under multiplayer there's no co-op still? Then I looked under the MOD section of the main menu; still no co-op mode?

If you don't have an internet connection how are you planning on playing coop?

ZiGZaG said:

Oh and this packfile seems awefully small to be something as huge in my opinion as a co-op mod would be.

Thanks for any information on this.

These are questions that you should be asking the developers, see link above.

ZiGZaG said:

Whether you care about cutscenes or not, stuff like that is really dependent on a SINGLE player experience. Doom 3 was not inherently designed for coop play, and I would bet that the xbox version will not be like the single player adventure, but rather a side game you set up, like deathmatch. If you have ideas or suggestions about how this mod should work, once again I implore you to write to the developers.

Of course, this all goes back to the first point in this post, how do you plan on Co-oping with a friend without an internet connection? Are you just going to be set up on a LAN with no outside connection to the world?

Mancubus II said:

If you don't have an internet connection how are you planning on playing coop?

Of course, this all goes back to the first point in this post, how do you plan on Co-oping with a friend without an internet connection? Are you just going to be set up on a LAN with no outside connection to the world?

Yes I had it setup on LAN...duh...

If it will work on LAN it will work on the internet using IP address to connect...

I'm not asking developers anything, someone here posted the link to download the file. I only thought someone from here besides me had downloaded the same said file and tried it out. I was only asking if anyone here had gotten it to work...that's it, that's all. If you haven't gotten it to work or haven't even tried then why worry about making a post questioning my intentions? This is a forum discussing Doom3 isn't it? I would only assume that means all aspects of the game including mods. I really never post in forums first off because it always ends up in flames from someone about something they have no real insight on. I found this forum and stated my point of view and got some really intellegent information from the people here. I also only started posting here because from what I've been reading people here seemed rather informative and intellegent in their observations.

I appreciate any ideas or help with what this thread has turned into discussing and that is getting the above packfile and figuring out if it works and how to make it work. If it doesn't work then oh well, let's find something that does.

I am rather enjoying the single player experience, and I know Doom3 was never intented to be a co-op game. That is what mods are for? modified versions of the game to make it do what it was never intented to do or be...right?

ZiGZaG said:

...If this is a legit co-op mod have you gotten it to work? If so how? There's no text files in the .zip and I see it is a packfile. I transfered it to my other home PC that has no inet connection and tried to set it up under multiplayer there's no co-op still? Then I looked under the MOD section of the main menu; still no co-op mode?

I don´t even have Doom3 yet, so I cannot say ANYTHING about the files. I was just browsing the fansites and discovered it.

I got it to work...

It will not show "co-op" persay in the multiplayer options. You've got to start the game as a deathmatch game with 2 player, 0 frag limit, 0 time limit.

I found this out by looking through the deathmatch "maps" I removed the .pk4 file from the /base directory and loaded the game and looked at the maps then loaded the .pk4 file and checked the maps again. It adds all the maps for the single player game. When you start the game at Mars City which is the first thing you load when playing single player. It starts the game with the first cut scene. When it's finished if you have "warmup mode" enabled it will finish the cut scene and go into warmup. This is when another player may join the game.

If anyone wants to d/l the above file to try a co-op game over the internet PM me here.

you should play the game the first time around alone (preferably at night), on veteran with the sound cranked up.. you're not going to get scared by the game if you're playing it with your friend in the same room or playing co-op.. it will ruin the whole experience

You play your game the way you want to play it and I'll play my game the way I want to play it. :P

I've already sat up and tested the game with my bud after all *shrug* and I've already played it through 1 time solo before hand. heh.

ZiGZaG said:

You play your game the way you want to play it and I'll play my game the way I want to play it. :P

I've already sat up and tested the game with my bud after all *shrug* and I've already played it through 1 time solo before hand. heh.

So how does the co-op act? Buggy or smooth? Oh what weapons/ammo and the cut scenes?

sandmanfvr said:

So how does the co-op act? Buggy or smooth? Oh what weapons/ammo and the cut scenes?

Yes it does have its share of issues. For 1 I just sort of got tired of reloading the game and gave up until something more "stable" comes out. One of a few things would happen trying to run it. You either 1) Get telefragged when your friend joins the game no matter where you are standing 2) Crash to Desktop when friend joins. 3) Friend locks up after 30 seconds of being in game 4) Friend is in game no lock ups but can hardly see a thing (screen is almost entirely black). We tried a few different settings and tried a few different server settings and still nothing. So we basically made a Last Man Standing game to see if he could connect properly. He could and we ended playing deathmatch for a few hours laughing at each other over the phone. I will only say one thing "Hey man quit camping!" :P

There's some weird bug which makes clients joining the server only see a black screen and red line (I haven't seen this myself, though). When one of my friends was able to finally connect correctly to the server, he could run around the map just fine, but he couldn't see any of the monsters; he could only hear them and see the imp's firball. Eventually he just lagged out (Not a problem with my server though, playing deathmatch in sp-only levels is buggy).

Here's a few pics I took playing with him before he lagged out (And him looking directly at the monsters is a total coincidence. At least he could hear them, though):
http://www.nextdimension.org/other/doom3/d3coop/

Things like scripted sequences and cut scenes really ruin coop, though, since only the host can activate them and only he can see the cut scenes.

Removing the cut scenes would be fine with me really if it would just be stable playing...Even just the person who creates the server is the only one who can activate the PDA voice recordings or pick up the PDAs etc would be fine...Sort of like Baulders Gate when the whole game would just stop when a member of your party activated a story sequence.

I really honestly think id or some really good mod group out there will come up with a good co-op solution. Me and my bud was talking on the phone last night and he said something that sort of made sense. He said "They more than likely did not add co-op to the game at release becasue it would take away from the solo erie scare atmosphere of being pretty much the only person alive on a mars station trying to battle your way out and kill the demons of hell." More than likely when id comes out with the expansion for D3 they will add co-op themselves. At least I hope they do because then you'll know it's done right.

Beware of DOOM 3 Exploits

A post over at the Guru3d.com forums warns of a possible DOOM 3 CD key stealing exploit that everyone needs to be careful of. Apparently someone was advertising a co-op mode .pak file that when installed gives server admins the ability to access your CD key. Always be careful of of scams such as this and remember to never give your CD key out to anyone for any reason.

Yeah, I downloaded a Coop mod file called Pak005 and it worked, I managed to hook up with other people and play excavation until we got to a cutscene.

I really hope it wasn't the hack so I can keep my CD key still safe.

SkyNet said:

Beware of DOOM 3 Exploits

A post over at the Guru3d.com forums warns of a possible DOOM 3 CD key stealing exploit that everyone needs to be careful of. Apparently someone was advertising a co-op mode .pak file that when installed gives server admins the ability to access your CD key. Always be careful of of scams such as this and remember to never give your CD key out to anyone for any reason.

Thanks for the warning, I believe there is a sticky now at the top of this forum area now.

I hope that informed everyone. I was skeptical about the whole thing, and since people over here seem pretty-well natured I didn't want anyone's copy destroyed.
Glad I could help!