Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
iDiablo

No liquids? No Swimming?

aL BeasTie said:

but iD decided to keep the engine to themselves and no other game were really developed on it

actually, the Doom engine was the first game engine ever (i believe) to be licensed to other companies. Raven (which has been a close working partner with ID ever sense) used the Doom engine for Heretic and Hexen, and Strife was also made with the Doom engine. who the heck made Strife anyway?

Technician said:

I would have liked to have seen swimming in game. After all the engine can do it. The place is a huge Reactor so a busted coolant tank would be possible. Be neat to swim. Could be a mission to swim to point a to point b to switch to emergency water supply so the reactors don't go meltdown.

Ever think that the water rushing around Necular rods would be raidoactive waste and completely uninhabitable.

Well considering that the doomguy armor is a duel environmental suit I think he will be fine swimming in some eradiated water.

MasterOfPuppets said:

actually, the Doom engine was the first game engine ever (i believe) to be licensed to other companies. Raven (which has been a close working partner with ID ever sense) used the Doom engine for Heretic and Hexen, and Strife was also made with the Doom engine. who the heck made Strife anyway?

good point, I guess I kinda still think of Hexen and Heretic as iD games, but your right. But they were more in cahoots, it's a bit different nowdays when they actually give the engine over for a game they have no input in. eg. JediKnight 2 is using q3 engine, you'd hardly confuse it with a iD production.

I remember being in shock with what they managed to do with the doom engine for hexen. I still think they must have given that engine a major overhaul. Wow I am getting Weepy for that game ( I think it was the best doom engine game includeing doom ) I wonder if xp would even run it. But Then I may find myself disapointed as nothing in it is new anymore and we are getting used to ultra realistic shit and stuff now. :D

water on mars, wewt!!, why would they do it, fps suck when water is involved, just look at cs, how gay, and how many guns to u plan on firing underwater, u want ur bfg shot bouncing back? shurely not!

although a hell species for water would be cool... but thats too duke nukemish

There is no water on Mars.

There is no water in hell.

There is no water in Doom.

-E

Many of Doom's monsters were heavily influenced by D&D. Members of id(as well as former members) ramble on about their countless D&D sessions. :D

Endureth said:

There is no water on Mars.

There is no water in hell.

There is no water in Doom.

-E

People sort of need water, and since there are GREAT amounts of people there should also be great amounts of water. Don't mind me, i'm just the voice of reason.

Well, there's toxic waste in the game and it looks convincing as toxic waste - no more glowing green goo, but it's still primarily green.
It's also not used very often (I only recall a handful of places and only one where there was an actual pool of waste) which I'm ok with.

The omission of water I can live with. Never was all that excited about the water when Quake and Duke3d came out.

Now, I haven't been to Hell yet, but from what I can gather, there's no boiling blood there and that is a bit disappointing, but Hell, I've got my toxic waste - that'll do.