Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NeoDaNeenjah

ATI Radeon 9200 (SE) or GeForce FX 5200

Hello all, I have a stupid HP computer with a damn Intel video card. So, unfortunately, my only option is a PCI video card. My question is... Which one will run Doom 3 better: ATI Radeon 9200 (SE) or the GeForce FX 5200? Additionally, will I even see greatly improved performance by getting a new PCI video card, or should I just sell Doom 3 on ebay or back to GameStop?

Any help is greatly appriecated,

NeoDaNeenjah

Both videocards will run it poorly and crappy. Wait for a Ati Radeon 9700 or 9800. If you are wanting Nvidia then go for the 5700 Ultra or above.

If you are desperate for an AGP slot then why not nab a new motherboard?

BlackFish said:

Both videocards will run it poorly and crappy. Wait for a Ati Radeon 9700 or 9800. If you are wanting Nvidia then go for the 5700 Ultra or above.

Well, this PC is a brand new system, just bought, and I am trying to get away with having to put that much more money into it. Does the ATI and Nvidia cards you mentioned come in PCI form?

Thanks

NeoDaNeenjah

he can't replace the motherboard, it's an HP! it's an integrated proprietary computer.

PCI is incredibly slow compared to AGP, don't consider it. ATI Radeon 9200 (SE) & the GeForce FX 5200 AGP models both run Doom3 not-so-great so on a PCI it would be murder, not to mention a waste of money.

I was in the same situation 8 years ago when i bought a Packard Bell. When it was time to upgrade i found out i couldn't and it pissed me off. I learned my lesson and began building computers.

No he means that it's not a standard form factor therefore a new motherboard that he would buy would very likely not be compatible.

With the power supply (possibly), the case (almost certainly), and maybe other components such as RAM. I know Compaq used to (maybe still do) use RAM with weird clock frequencies (125Mhz) so that non-proprietary RAM would be incompatible.

IF your going out to buy a new card get a radeon. GeForce cards used to be really good but ati passed them a while ago and now they jsut keep kicking their ass mroe and more.

Its funny that last year i thought the GeForce FX cards were going to be super good and now they only sell for 1/3 of a decent radeon.

And i would recomment getting a new motherboard that is compadable with your processor so u can get a 8x agp video card. Their performance is so much better than the pci cards.

ZyborZOR you CANNOT replace HP motherboards!

"If your PC is proprietary, don't even think about upgrading the motherboard. This includes all notebook and laptop PCs, and many of the models from the big brand names, such as Dell, --> HP <--and IBM. The problem with attempting to upgrade the motherboard in a proprietary PC is that the new motherboard will cost several times as much as a standard motherboard, if you can even get one. In some cases, you may want to buy a new case, put in the new motherboard and then transfer all the components you can from the proprietary PC, but even the standard drives may have been manufactured with non-standard connectors." - http://www.fonerbooks.com/upgrade1.htm

"GeForce cards used to be really good but ati passed them a while ago and now they jsut keep kicking their ass mroe and more."

FACT, Doom 3 uses OpenGL which Nvidia "jsut keep kicking their ass mroe and more" (refering to ATI). After all Nvidia did help in the development of Doom 3 so it's kind of a no brainer but im sure you knew that b4 you made that comment huh.

You can go brag about ATI in the HL2 forums cause ATI has their hand in that game (Direct3D) so it'll outperform nvidia obviously.

BlackFish said:

He's totally right they're both wal-mart cards.

Please keep further discussion related to the problem, not "Nvidia is better than ATI" or vice versa.