Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Naked Snake

To make DOOM 3 suck...

...ID would need to do the following. (I know I'm forgeting some so help me out here)

-No cutscenes : Now this would be plain fucking stupid.

-Having no new monsters : Once again, but then again this would kinda make some people happy.

-Weak story : I feel if I don't feel envoloped in the story I don't really feel all to thrilled, cause I want to know why I am wasting my time to fight in the first place.

-The new weapons suck : If ID makes the new DOOM have shitty weapons *cough* Uzis *hack* I don't think I'm gonna play it.

-The maps are small or DOOM II ish : I liked DOOM II but the maps needed alota work, and I hate small maps, I want to be immersed in the map, if its large, I feel kinda spooked.

-The sound effects sound like a fat, greasy guy just started making weird sounds in a mic : Damnit, if I shoot off a shotgun I want to hear a goddamn shotgun, not a crappy sound attempting to be a shotgun shot.

-Netplay = ASS : I'm not much on netplay but damnit, if DOOM 3's netplay blows I think many DOOMERS will be hesitant in buying it.

-Source code is not released : Many DOOMERS would be dissapointed, coders or not.

-The map editor is hard to use : Ex. BUILD

-If it relies to much on cheap terror : Ex. monsters bursting through a floor or something, just to jolt you. Once and a great while in DOOM 3 should this go on, not every 1 map.

-The game is small : Damnit! We want TONS of maps to play in, maybe episodes.

-Don't fuck around with the customers : No super huge patches and make sure the goddamn game is as bug fucking free as you can get it.

Feel free to add your input.

I disagree in a single point:

Custscene interupt the flow and make you lose the feeling of identity with the main character (when you suddenly see "you" acting independant from a 3rd person view, which is common in cutscenes), and because of that cutscenes suck. Scripted sequences are the deal!

hmmm...i don't think i will mind, either way, as long as the gameplay is good. personally? i'd like to see some cinematics...

I disagree in a single point:

Custscene interupt the flow and make you lose the feeling of identity with the main character (when you suddenly see "you" acting independant from a 3rd person view, which is common in cutscenes), and because of that cutscenes suck. Scripted sequences are the deal!

I think he means cinematics in general. I also sometimes use the terms interchangebly. I think scripted sequences are the best way to go with this type of game, but a beginning and ending cutscene wouldn't hurt things I don't think.

I could use cutscenes ONLY if they are :

1) Memories. No need to play facts from the past, because obviously you could screw up everything. :)

2) External events. Imagine a NPC (I won't go into details if there's gonna be NPCs or not, it doesn't matter) starts telling you a story. I wouldn't mind a scripted sequence showing off an entire different scenery, other characters etc etc...

If it's temporally in-game, then interactive scenes are the shit. Carmack's making sure this engine doesn't eats all the CPU to optimize the rendering code, but instead allowing the designers to enhance the level of interactivity between your avatar and the surrounding world. While this may not be fully utilized in DooM, it's a great feature for any licensed game. Gameplay is limited to the engine's capabilities, afterall.

As long as they make the scripted scenes as cool as Half-Life. Sometimes it was creepier to hear about what was going on than actualy seeing it.

-The new weapons suck : If ID makes the new DOOM have shitty weapons *cough* Uzis *hack* I don't think I'm gonna play it.

*cough*biogun*hack*sniper rifle*sniffle*tripmines*gag*laser pistol*spew*

-The sound effects sound like a fat, greasy guy just started making weird sounds in a mic : Damnit, if I shoot off a shotgun I want to hear a goddamn shotgun, not a crappy sound attempting to be a shotgun shot.

uh...uh...*wheeze*...ugh...guh
My god! What are you doing to that microphone?
uh?

-Netplay = ASS : I'm not much on netplay but damnit, if DOOM 3's netplay blows I think many DOOMERS will be hesitant in buying it.

AKA, if they don't make it in-game its gonna suck, especialy if you have to use Gamespy or MSN GamingZone.

-The map editor is hard to use : Ex. BUILD

For the 999th time, why does everyone say this? BUILD is an easy engine to use (even I can figure it out). It was hard at first, but all you have to do is read the FAQ...it tells all!
Personaly, I think editors like the one Quake 2 and Half-Life used, or the Unreal editor were more complicated. Especialy when they always froze when compiling...

-If it relies to much on cheap terror : Ex. monsters bursting through a floor or something, just to jolt you. Once and a great while in DOOM 3 should this go on, not every 1 map.

*cough*Resident Evil*cough*

-Don't fuck around with the customers : No super huge patches and make sure the goddamn game is as bug fucking free as you can get it.

*cough*Half-Life*cough*
Damn, I have one helluva cold tonight. Damn you Valve! I don't WANT counterstrike beta .666!

Also, THE WHOLE FUCKING GAME BEING OF ONE COLOR - but I'm afraid they can't help it

What is the fucking deal with that? I mean, in Quake it was completely because of the technological aspect between lightmaps and 8-bit palletes. What's the deal with consistent themes throught the game?

No cutscenes : Now this would be plain fucking stupid.

I haven't played RTCW yet but apparently they're using loads of in-game cutscenes.

Source code is not released : Many DOOMERS would be dissapointed, coders or not.

id always releases the game source (not the engine source) sometime after the game's released.

The map editor is hard to use : Ex. BUILD

BUILD was the easiest editor EVER, you snowturd. Ideally I see the Doom 3 editor as kinda a cross between Q3Radiant and 3DSMax. Listen up, people : your l33t WadAuthor skillz just won't cut it when it comes to Doom 3 editing.
Be prepared.

Don't fuck around with the customers : No super huge patches and make sure the goddamn game is as bug fucking free as you can get it.

Don't count on it. Because it's primarily a single player game I don't think it'll be as patch-heavy as, say, Quake 3 or Half-Life, though id are going to be releasing plenty of patches afterwards. That's just how it is these days.

if DOOM3 is going to have only original doom2 weapons (and berserk pack!)i won't mind that.i think it was perfectly balanced IMO and i have no idea about new weapon for DOOM3.maybe sniper rifle and flamethrower?
(No..not the tripple barrel shotgun or chain rocket launcher)

if DOOM3 is going to have only original doom2 weapon (and berserck pack!)i won't mind that.i think it was perfectly balanced IMO and i have no idea about new weapon for DOOM3.maybe sniper rifle and flamethrower?
(No..not the tripple barrel shotgun or chain rocket launcher)

Sniper Rifle:only if they made the reload after 1 shot and take a bit, to avoid campers.
Flamethrower:hmm...I dunno...

You know, guys, Doom could just have some weapons that are for multiplayer, and some for single-player. For example, in multiplayer, you don't want to have alot of weapons that encourage camping, whereas in single player having a sniper rifle really wouldn't matter all that much because it's just you and the monsters...and who the hell gives a shit HOW you kill them. As for all-new weapons, i'd like to see the old ones revamped into more futuristic looking ones. IMO, the plasma rifle from Q3 was awesome, the chain gun should be like the minigun from UT, and the BFG (if they have it), should be similar to the Redeemer from UT (resembling more the old school one than the one in Q3). They shouldn't look extremely real like the HL ones. Those just looked like crap...

MP's not the focus there. I highly doubt they're actually going to create entirely new weapons just for MP. Maybe in later patchs, or a mission pack or something...

MP's not the focus there. I highly doubt they're actually going to create entirely new weapons just for MP. Maybe in later patchs, or a mission pack or something...

ok, then NO multiplayer weapons, then!!

The map editor is hard to use : Ex. BUILD

BUILD was the easiest editor EVER, you snowturd.

Yay, finaly someone agrees with me...

BUILD was simple once you finished reading the FAQ, but it's by no means effective. All that 3d-navigation crap made the level editing harder in 90% of the cases. And the 2D view's useless for fine-tuning.

To make DOOM 3 suck...

1. Long load times between levels (go in a hallway (load) get scared and go back (load) )

2. Unlimited saves (see old topic)
3. Dumb AI
4. Dark environments
5. No Human like enemies (ehhhh I get attacked by an..an..ehhh..an..)at all
6. Triggered events (I walk in and monster1 goes to the left, a fire starts to burn and monster2 walks towards me)
7. Make it 3rd person (!!!)
8. Long cutscenes (super long loads)
9. No Humor or too much humor
10. Teleports (I hate teleporting)
11. Less then 40 hours of playing
12. Call it DooM: Episode 3, the return of the IMP's
13. Make it less violent.. Why do we have to resolve everything with violence? Do you want to talk about it?
14. A release date well in 2003

1. Long load times between levels (go in a hallway (load) get scared and go back (load) )

Um...why would it do that?

2. Unlimited saves (see old topic)

That would be cool cause then you would never run out of saves, this would help mod makers too.

3. Dumb AI

Demons are pretty dumb.

4. Dark environments

I want to be spooked when I play DOOM 3.

I'm not scared of humanoid creatures, if something was like 10 legged with 5 heads I think I would shit myself.

6. Triggered events (I walk in and monster1 goes to the left, a fire starts to burn and monster2 walks towards me)

So instead of ingame events you would prefer cutscenes?

7. Make it 3rd person (!!!)

DOOM is first person, but I like chasecams, a chasecam option would be cool.

8. Long cutscenes (super long loads)

On shitty computers maybe.

9. No Humor or too much humor

This is DOOM not Duke.

10. Teleports (I hate teleporting)

Hmm...why? Teleports take you to new parts of a level. I dont want to go through levels that have no real change in style. Teleports are cool cause as soon as you teleport you are most likely to be attacked.

11. Less then 40 hours of playing

You cant time a game, it all depends on skill.

Please tell me what you're on.

13. Make it less violent.. Why do we have to resolve everything with violence? Do you want to talk about it?

No, I want to shoot it, not talk about it.

The longer it takes for ID to make it the better and less buggy it will be, you dont want them to rush through this.

4. Dark environments

Well, judging from the MacWorld and QuakeCon shots, the game will be pretty fucking dark in most places.

I can assure you there's going to be more zombies than you can shake a stick at. I'm not sure why you would want to shake a stick at a bunch of zombies anyway.

I agreee with Zaldron : these kinds of events should be handled by monster AI, not always by very specific set-pieces and scripted events.

December 10th 2003 is exactly 10 years after the shareware version of Doom 1 came out. Releasing Doom 3 on that date would, to quote deadnail, "rock".

Yeah but that's a lot of time. The game should be done by December 2002, IMO.

But what if its kinda buggy at that time? Dont you want ID to release a stable product instead of a rushed job?

However, I doubt ID has the people (Blizzard has it's own cinematics division), to make such quality cinematics (some will argue this but guess what...it's true). I would love some nice pre-rendered cinematic movies though.

(the quake 3 intro was kinda cool though).

Sanjay

However, I doubt ID has the people (Blizzard has it's own cinematics division), to make such quality cinematics (some will argue this but guess what...it's true). I would love some nice pre-rendered cinematic movies though.

(the quake 3 intro was kinda cool though).

Don't worry about that, they just hire an external studio like Blur Studios (who made the RtCW intro).

To make it suck ...

every time you stay still for more than 2 seconds, the paper-clip office assistant pops up.

ROFL

To make it suck ...

every time you stay still for more than 2 seconds, the paper-clip office assistant pops up.

ROFL

ditto

nah! Call it 'Doom episode 3: Attack of the Imps' and make merchandises dammit! :P