Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AveryMaurice

Spider Demon Is.... GONE!!!! (I Think)

Buy Doom 3... It's quite an interesting turn on Doom's franchise. You get the old Doom 1 feeling revamped with a much darker tone.

And here I come rescuing a thread otherwise laughably tripping into Hell, by saying this: yes, there IS a spiderdemon/arachnotron in Doom3, but in mods, not in the original setup. I think Total Recall[EDIT]Recall to Hell is set to have it, as well as Doom 3: Phobos (or how it's really called).

You won't find the Spiderdemon in original Doom 3, but there's no real need to despair. He'll come up eventually in the user-made modifications. If I'm not wrong, his apparitions will look very close to that artwork.

Doom 1 -> Doom 3:
Former humans (much more of a threat now, and overall a greater diversity of zombies)
Imp
"Pinky" demon
Baron of Hell (but named Hell Knight now)
Cacodemon
Lost Soul
Cyberdemon

Doom 2 -> Doom 3:
Mancubus
Revenant
Arch-vile

Didn't make the cut:
Spectre
Arachnotron
Spider mastermind
Pain elemental

Many new monsters as well. More zombies (including civilian zombies), and several new weak demons (wraith, maggot, trite, tick, cherub...) plus a few new bosses (the Vagary, the Blind Guardian...).

The Spider mastermind and Antorchoron aren't there but atleast you'll face the Vagery and Saboath. They're charming, at least.

Mancubus II said:

Team Future decided that, with a much more menacing spider mastermind concept art piece in the making of doom 3 book, this creature was much better suited as the arachnotron. Check out this Doom 3: Phobos action shot and for a more detailed shot check out the modeller's gallery (which incidentally also has some WIP shots of the spider mastermind!).

It has been two weeks I've ordered that damn book.

A pretty crafty team. The female warrior model however seems like some sultry and cartoonish sci-fi eye candy. They could try something rough. But still, the sweat and effort put into it was visible.

Tann&Jerri said:

The female warrior model however seems like some sultry and cartoonish sci-fi eye candy.

If you mean this it's not for Doom 3...

That artist's gallery only has 2 pieces used in Doom 3: Phobos. Everything else is work for other stuff.

Great concept model for the Spider Mastermind. That fanmade version looks like it did take some hard work but from what I saw, it didn't look too big.

Repentance said:

Great concept model for the Spider Mastermind. That fanmade version looks like it did take some hard work but from what I saw, it didn't look too big.

Yea! A spider mastermind should be at least 3-4 times taller then the player!

I think the Cyberdemon is (was?) already very tall. The Spiderdemon should be even bigger, in order to make the Doom 3 engine feel impressive (note: Doom 1&2 can't really handle giant sprites or things but Doom 3 should well be able to do giant objects).

Repentance said:

If you mean this image, that is the arachnotron, which is much smaller. We do not have any size comparisons for our spider mastermind at the moment.

meh hopefully the Spider MasterMind will show up in doom 4, mabey along with Bephomat. one can only hope. in doom3 in my opinion probabley the closest think to the spidermastermind is the BFG sargent boss like 2 levels before the Cyberdemon.

in the mean time anyone wanna take a guess on what kind of weapon that cannon thing is on the masterminds shoulder was suppose to be? i kinda looks like a rocket launcher to me

walligig said:

in the mean time anyone wanna take a guess on what kind of weapon that cannon thing is on the masterminds shoulder was suppose to be? i kinda looks like a rocket launcher to me

All the little tubes around the middle part and the lack of a loading area/ eject breech area make it look like some kind of plasma gun rather than something that fires physical projectiles like rockets/bullets.

walligig said:

Bephomat.

Is that a robotic Baphomet? :)

BTW, the Doom3 Phobos Spider Mastermind looks really great, it got the more scary/less cartoony Doom3 look spot on.

i don't know. i just said that cause prolly atleast 75% of all doom2 mods end with him as a boss. its become sort of a tredition so i thought it might be cool if he atleast made an appearence. then again they might not cause no where in the doom manuals does it say that the head on the wall at level 30 in doom2 is suppose to be Bephomat.

I was just joking... you made a typo and I find "Bephomat" sounds like some sort of evil machine. The demon you mean is called Baphomet.

A Doom3 version of the Icon of Sin wouldn´t be too hard to create I guess, it would only need some scripting, but no fully animated model since it´s only a mural with an alcoven.

Tetzlaff said:

but no fully animated model since it´s only a mural with an alcoven.

It works in Doom 2, but the mural + hole design in a Doom 3 mod would just be too tacky for words. Good idea though.

It wouldn´t be tacky if it was done right. It wouldn´t be the mural that is acting, but an evil entity behind the wall that sends out those cubes. Invisible things can be scary as well.

Tetzlaff said:

It wouldn´t be tacky if it was done right.

A massive head of a beast held in place by pipes and hooks would not be "done right" in a modern game if it wasn't modeled and animated. For that matter, the model would have to be very intricate and stunning to provide the right game-ending punch - it would have to seem very much alive. You're not selling me on the mural approach.

I think it could be done.
The "wouldn't work for a modern game" card is often played, but I don't buy it. The same thing could be said for Doom2. That thing never ever seemed like a living monster either, but they made it work.

I can imagine ways it would be cool. I just can't picture them as a satisfactory conclusion to a game full of complex hellspawn. Perhaps my imagination is at fault here.

I guess I'm just getting pickier with time, but I'm not as impressed with Doom 2 map 30 as I used to be. The demon's face could have been given some depth within engine limitations with a mid-texture sculpture, or something, and the rest of that map is just plain lazy.

Even way back then when it was new, I found the Giant Wall Monster approach quite underwhelming.

Didn't some of the doom 1 and 2 monsters "merge" to form the doom 3 monster that we all know?

For example. The hell knight in Doom 3 is a hybrid of Baron of Hell and the classic hell knight.

Doom 3 cacodemon was originally going to spit out lost souls, from what I read anyway, and now they scrapped. They still kept the brown coloring, thus making him a hybrid of the cacodemon and pain elemental.

And the ticks and trites, although not the same, will forever replace the arachnotrons, while the Vagary replaces the Spider mastermind.

What other missing monsters are there? Oh yes, the spectre. As we all know, the doom 3 pinky didn't really get a popular role in the game, unlike Doom 1's Pinky demon. The Pinky demon and spectre in the classic dooms were common, while in doom 3, the pinkys were quite rare. Like the machine gun, which took over the chaingun's role in classic doom, while the doom 3 chaingun became more of a heavier weapon, I theorize that the Maggot took over the classic pinky's role as the common run up to you and melee you enemy, and the wraith took over the spectre's role as surprise you and melee you enemy.

uhh like I said up there, if i were to compare something to the Spider Mastermind i think its alittle closer to the CPU Boss then the Vagary just because of both of there cybernetic traits.

And is there really not a Pain elemental in doom 3? i swear i remember one like in one of the levels right before the Cyberdemon. hmm wierd mabey it was just acouple of cacos i remember.

well you can say the spider mastermind split into the vagary and sabaoth, and the cyberdemon split into the guardian and cyberdemon.