Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
dsm

A "Doom 3" mod suggestion

Many aspects points in the direction that the new Doom game is likely going to be remake of the original. If the new Doom game IS a remake, retelling the story for the first Doom game, couldn't it be an idea to make a retelling of Doom 2's storyline?

I'm not talking about rehashing the old levels from Doom 2, but actually take the story for Id's new Doom game and make a continuation, based loosely on Doom 2's original backstory.

How does that sound?

You will need lots of real world city textures then, that´s for sure :) If Doom3 takes place in extraterrestrial military bases, Mars canyons and space stations, then it´s lacking those textures.

Of course I know that lots of real-life textures are required and I think that the maps must be limited to night-maps as well, due to the fact that the lights are limited in the "Doom 3" engine.

Oh and the retelling doesn't HAVE to be *right* after Doom 2's story, just contain some of the major aspects (starport is infested, blah blah).

At least I'd wager that the starport part could be done with the space-station textures in the new Doom.

Right now, I can't see why it can't be done.

You think the lights are limited? Because the small video only showed dark interior scenes? Doom3 could have bright Mars desert environments too.

You think the lights are limited? Because the small video only showed dark interior scenes? Doom3 could have bright Mars desert environments too.

Well according to Zaldron and all the other tech guys, light is fairly limited, due to tech reasons - and I also remember having read that in an interview with Carmack.

But maybe making *one* HUGE light representing the Sun, shining over the entire map is possible?
Personally, I don't think that's possible - for some reason I don't.

It's IS possible. In fact, a light emitter based on the idea that the Sun's so big and so far away that the lightrays are paralell to eachother (commonly called direct lights) is the fastest option when it comes to properly shadowed lights.

To simulate sunlight, id only needs 2 lightsources. One direct light from the sky, based on the sky's color, and another one that comes from the ground and makes no shadows, of the average color of the terrain (to simulate radiosity). In fact, dynamic shadowing using ortogonal raycasters is so easy that Carmack actually thought of this for Quake 3. It's the omnidirectional and spotlights what really slows down everything.

Ahhh, not bad.
Then there's just the problem with real-life city textures -someone needs to take pictures of building walls etc. in a city.
Anyway, it was just a suggestion with the intention of giving future "Doom 3" modders something to think about :-)

We're talking of a game based on a date more along 2200 to 2400. Check drawings and photos from cities in their 1800-1900. Quite a difference.

Besides photosourcing doesn't quite work anymore. A photo gives you the combined looks of base, bumpmap and glossiness. You'll have to edit too much, it's much better to draw them, and if you don't have id's skills, use photosource textures as mixes.

We're talking of a game based on a date more along 2200 to 2400. Check drawings and photos from cities in their 1800-1900. Quite a difference.

The difference isn´t that big, at least here in Europe ;) Many cities in Germany or France for example are mostly characterized by houses from the 19th century, just a few modern buildings here and there and small things like cars, phones, lights and commercial stuff remind the present time. SciFi movies often try to create completely new city environments, but I don´t think that´s very realistic.

No, of course it kinda looks the same in all of Old World. But now we're facing larger populations and a rapidly evolving science. Changes should be pretty drastic, since sometime we'll be forced to greatly modify the infrastructure of our cities if we want to stop pollution and modernize the systems.

I know that I'd download such a mod if anyone managed to make it. That and any remaking of the old Doom and Doom 2 levels :P