Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
dsm

"Growl, snarl"

Onto the element on monster growling sounds.
In the older games monsters only made noise, when they were aware of your presence. In Quake1, however, they occasionally let out a growl (or whatever the sound they make is) even when they hadn't seen you.

I'd be happy if the monsters are a little more active in the new game (which I believe that they will), extending upon general activity before state of alertness to beyond the level of the two first Quake games.

I remember the end of Doom's backstory saying that "you can hear animal-like growls echoing through the distant corridors", but whenever I start the game, there's nothing to hear.
It should be so that the player don't really know if the monsters have been alerted to his/her presence imo.

Let me see your thoughts on this matter.

I'd be happy if the monsters are a little more active in the new game (which I believe that they will), extending upon general activity before state of alertness to beyond the level of the two first Quake games.

i'd like to see them stalk you, that would be cool.

Monsters should be able to make sounds on their own. Its not like they just sit there motionless forever until they see an enemy. I especialy like the chirping that the headcrabs made in Half-life. It was kind of eerie, like the cooing noise the spitter made in Jurassic Park.

The best monster noise I can think of was the Tentacle in Half-Life. It's just scary as hell to be creeping around the exterior of the rocket test silo, hearing the loud banging of the Tentacle's "fang" following you around. And then that loud lowing noise it makes... Scary as hell.

The Tentacle map, i believe, was one of the best parts of HL. It actually felt like the thing was hunting you, and got supremely frustrated when it coudn't find you.

Yeah the Tentacle zone rocked idea-wise. Too bad it felt too much like a stupid arcadeish challenge.

Oh yeah! THe tentacle was awesome. That part was great because you couln't kill it and you had too keep quiet so it didn't kill you. Took some strategy to get past that part. The sounds it made were sweet. Very creepy...when I first got there, I didn't know what to expect...kept me guessing until the part when it break through the glass and kills the scientist...top notch!

Eerie, its as if this entire thread was mysteriously posted in the "Trains in Doom3" post.. nahh, guess its just me.

Annny way.. I always though QuakeII was pretty sweet, I got into that game to where I felt like I was there, and thats pretty rare. DoomIII should have interesting monster interactions, like them tlaking to each other in some demonic language, or grownling sounds.. AND THE ARCHVILE EVIL GRIN GRIN LAUGH! Mwa-ha-hahah!!

I aslo want to see monsters jump over fences and stalk you {instead of walking into walls moving their legs repeatedly}.. fuck.. gay 56k.. die

I remember Makron's laughter from beyond Death pretty intimidating. That's the kind of low, deep voice I would've expect from an Archvile. I suppose it should communicate through telepaty, since it doesn't appear to have any mouth.

common monsters may growl in the strange demonic voice that player be not able to understand.but if the archvile use telepaty to communicate with player,we are supposed to understand all of his word.besides the laughter,the player can hear him say the word like "where are ya" " i can't see you"

i want monsters make helluva scary babbling...or some would cry like a child or a mad man, just to make the game very creepy.

I agree bane, I think though that the Arch-Vile should be quite "intelligent", unless there is a mouth in the new model then yeah telepathy sounds cool, it should also be able to speak english....So you KNOW it is there, and not mixed in with indistuingishable growls and snarls..

it should also be able to speak english

That is the worst idea I've heard since someone on the Newdoom forums suggested strippers in the game.

If the Archvile's gonna talk "english", it's better then to give him a very primitive graps of the language. Kinda like the Nihilant from Half-Life, his thoughts were so crude and savage towards you that they were interpreted as some really bad english.

Thank you fredrik, such an interesting take on my suggestion, it has been noted and duly ignored. Thank you for participating :P

Zaldron: Yeah, That is what I should of said, Not an mastery of english, but enough to convey his intentions of turning YOU into roast marine burger. Kinda like the nilanth yeah, good point, but similar to Quake 2 as well, if you remember a couple of enemies muttered words that sounded like a word, The Berserker said something similar to "Intruder" the Iron Maiden said something like "Traitor" you get what I mean?

it should also be able to speak english

That is the worst idea I've heard since someone on the Newdoom forums suggested strippers in the game.

I wouldn't say that the idea is as bad as the suggestion from Newdoom, because English-speaking monsters has been used in Half-life (Slaves tend to say: "DIE!" and Nihilanth says a number of things in English as well).
But I must admit, that I abhor the idea of Doom monsters speaking English. That'll make the game seem "cartoonish".
Besides, the whole Doom universe was inspired by the Aliens movie and those Aliens didn't speak English.

How would the demons also learn to speak English anyway? WHY would they learn to speak English? You only learn to communicate to solve conflicts. Demons don't want to solve the conflict peacefully. They are mindless beings, who are only interested in causing pain, death and destruction.

Your idea would've fit better in Quake 4 imo.

Yeah, thats a good point dsm, but you must remember I only think the Arch-vile should have basic communication, now also remember that the base of the story was that the UAC had commissioned Gates on mars. (or in the book (the one that didn't suck) these gates were long forgotten alien constructs) These gates were for research into teleportation, however they found a new dimension (Hell) instead. The poor bastards sent through the gates and came back mumbling gibberish before exploding, these could of been studied by the demons in a crude manner and they reached the conclusion that humans needed to be eliminated.. but you must realise that this is only an idea

That'll make the game seem "cartoonish".
Besides, the whole Doom universe was inspired by the Aliens movie and those Aliens didn't speak English.

Play a little System Shock 2 and listen to The Many, the combined voices of males and females of all ages. It's really fucking scary.

Well... it wouldn't be a disaster if some zombified human said "diiiieeeeee" with a dark evil voice... or something like that. But an arch-vile? I can imagine that... "Sir, may I offer ye a cup of tea?"

It just occurred to me that it's quite possibly id will introduce an enemy that has the souls of many in it. Like kind of the backstory they had for Quake 3's "Klesk" bot - a mad, destructive demon who is fighting to stop the noises in its head. A few people at id had apparently written a decent backstory to Quake 3 involving Klesk, but it never made it into the game.

My name is Legion, for we are many.

LorD BaZTArD: Yeah, yeah, it's only an idea and it's fair enough. Now, I wasn't rippin' your head off or anything was I?
Frankly, I don't really know about the idea of yours. The immediate associations I get, when I hear the suggestion "an English-speaking demon" are all horrid. But then again, Zaldron might have a good point there. It all depends on HOW it's implemented, I guess.

I always thought it damn strange that the Doom monsters stood there moving their feet back and forth without moving anywhere. Looks very peculiar. Try doing it yourself. It's not actually possible!

I think that the Doom 3 monsters should have a /roam parameter, or a /guard parameter, where they follow a certain line and never stray from it.

Hell, it would be an improvement over Doom if you walk into a bog and instead of being fully clothed, machine gun in hand and standing on it, the chaingunner is actually pants down taking a shit :)

This is a pretty good debate, and rather funny. But my thoughts are, nothing at all should speak English when your on the Mars bases. But once you enter Hell, there should be like one or two demons that you can hear talking with sick demonic voices.. like Zaldrons idea with System Shock II.. man that was fuckin scary..

I also think there should be spirits in DOOMS "Hell" {if there is one}, but not all evil spirits want to kill everything.. some were just bad people.. so I think every now and again you should see a ghost run out from behind a corner and fade away, or walk from a wall, or into a wall. Maybe even suddenly appear in front of you and make its head spin really fast where its like blur, and then dissapear.

As for sounds of evil pain, there shouldnt be TOO much, maybe everyonce in a while a scream of a baby, an evil "Mwa-ha-haha", clicking sounds, glass breaking, etc.. but I can tell you one thing.. Doom64 and its music/setting.. scared the FUCK out of me!

I always thought it damn strange that the Doom monsters stood there moving their feet back and forth without moving anywhere. Looks very peculiar. Try doing it yourself. It's not actually possible!

I think it's supposed to look like the monsters are standing still, while breathing heavily (just look at how every monster in Q1 and Q2 stand still, while breathing heavily).

Jeremy: You just gave me an idea!
Hop 'bout when you're in Hell, you can hear the souls of the damned, babbling incoherent stuff in English (and perhaps other languages)?
My idea about what the souls in Hell should look like: Some sort of ghostly whind that occasionally blow around in the area, then fades - occasionally, you can see a distorted face pop out of thin air(The "mass of faces" texture comes to mind).

The DOOM monsters can do it because they have the special satanic superpower skills to do so.

The Berserker said something similar to "Intruder" the Iron Maiden said something like "Traitor" you get what I mean?

I think what the Berserker says is "Trespasser!" when he lays eyes on you. As for the Iron Maiden, she says somehting unintelligible to my ears.
Speaking of ambient sounds like the enemies trying to stalk you down, I think it would be all so eerie if you made it to a level where Archie's at, and you can hear eerie, scary, evil laughter dritrfting down the corridors. That would be awesome.
I also like the sound the Berserker makes when he's not trying to kill, meaning he hasn't seen you yet. He scrapes his spike arm on his hammer arm.
Maybe the enemies could something like this, other than make growling or clicking noises or breathing heavily. Maybe the Imp could scrape his claws together, or the Baron could be heard stamping his hooves on the ground.

The Berserker said something similar to "Intruder" the Iron Maiden said something like "Traitor" you get what I mean?

I think what the Berserker says is "Trespasser!" when he lays eyes on you. As for the Iron Maiden, she says somehting unintelligible to my ears.
Speaking of ambient sounds like the enemies trying to stalk you down, I think it would be all so eerie if you made it to a level where Archie's at, and you can hear eerie, scary, evil laughter dritrfting down the corridors. That would be awesome.
I also like the sound the Berserker makes when he's not trying to kill, meaning he hasn't seen you yet. He scrapes his spike arm on his hammer arm.
Maybe the enemies could something like this, other than make growling or clicking noises or breathing heavily. Maybe the Imp could scrape his claws together, or the Baron could be heard stamping his hooves on the ground.

The iron maiden didn't say intrueder, that was one of those little guard bastards that said that (either the light guard, shotgun gaurd, or machinegun guard), all I remember the Iron maiden saying was soemthing that sounded like "JOYVA!".

And why was it when she was getting ready to shoot her rocket, why did she sound like she was about ot have a fucking orgasm? :P

And why was it when she was getting ready to shoot her rocket, why did she sound like she was about ot have a fucking orgasm? :P

Probably because firing the rocket GIVES her a fucking orgasm.

Yeah, its the guards that say 'Intruder', but it comes out more like 'Truder!', which I mock them for.

Probably because firing the rocket GIVES her a fucking orgasm.

Heh. Read the description for Grunts in Quake.

Now that I think about it, Quake II had some horrible sound effects, despite being such a great game.

Now that I think about it, Quake II had some horrible sound effects, despite being such a great game.

Yeah, the sounds was the only thing about Quake 2 that really bothered me. Weapons sounds were decent, but the sounds, which the monsters made were rubbish. Now I come to think of it, I hope that the Doomguy in Doom 3 doesn't make a ridiculous jumping sound like the sounds all three Quake games had - Quake 1 and 2 had that wussy "huh!" (made all male characters seem like complete wusses), and in Q3A the Doomguy's jumping sound sounded like a cough or something.

At least its not like Hexen 2, where when you surface for air you start gagging even if you're under for 2 seconds.

*HuuuH*GAG*COUGH*