Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lord FlatHead

More Trent Reznor rumours

One year ago, the engine seemed to be working perfect. I think almost two years of tweaking and further development must be enough. I guess most of the work they should be doing right now is mapping and moddeling the storyline.

I also read that Id is going to update their site pretty soon. I think there can be only one reason / immediate cause for doing this. DOOM 3.

So bets are on at www.bet-registration.com/doom3
EUR 10,- minimum

Well I don't know, when it comes to adding creative content and superb design you could be working on it for a long time. Look at Deus Ex, or even worse, DNF.

One year ago, the engine seemed to be working perfect. I think almost two years of tweaking and further development must be enough. I guess most of the work they should be doing right now is mapping and moddeling the storyline.

The engine seemed to be working perfectly?
Dude, the macworld presentation only showed a wee bit of what the engine could do, not the entire engine. I believe that Id hadn't done much more than what we saw in this video at that time. They propably hadn't coded the full aggression behaviour of the monsters. Sure, we saw the brown think lunge at us, but we didn't see what "Mr. skull-face" or "Mr. zombie" could do to harm the player and we saw absolutely NO weapons whatsoever.

If they DO release the game in 2002, I'll say that they rushed the game. Carmack once stated that each new game took a bit longer to make than the last game.
If memory serves me correctly, Q3A took a bit more than three years to make - Doom has only taken a little less than a year and a half so far (please correct me if I'm wrong). When we approach late 2002, it's still not even two years since "Doom 3" was announced.

The level design for Wolfenstein 3D took a month and a half. Doom, nine months. Quake 1, a year and a half. Seeing a pattern ?

The truth is simply that it takes long, hard work to make assets for a top-of-the-line 3D game these days. Some developers try and tackle this by assembling huge teams, but clearly that doesn't always work (Daikatana, for instance). id is a small software company - a team of a dozen highly skilled, focused people working crazy hours to bring us a great game.

The first year of Doom 3's development was mostly pre-production work (storyboards, design documents, character sketches) and programming the core engine. At QuakeCon, six months ago, John Carmack said the rocket launcher - arguably an important weapon in the game - hadn't even been modelled yet. I think this shows thad id have learned their lesson : it doesn't just take focus and genius to make a game, but patience and hard work as well.

And to think they actually enlarged the group to tackle this project shows you how complex it is compared to the Quakes.

Well I think the Quake soundtrck was good. And like Zaldron said, Quake was based around another dimension...

And why does most of the people here have an avid distaste of NIN and Trent Reznor?

With regards to the soundtrack, they should play the music in times of high action (like in movies) and cut it out it times of when something unexpected is about to happen (like in horror movies etc...).....just a thought.

And why does most of the people here have an avid distaste of NIN and Trent Reznor?

It's a matter of musical tastes. I for one can't understand why some people could even enjoy Quake's soundtrack, but I know that there seem to be a lot of people who enjoy it nonetheless, and with this in mind, I realize that my music taste is different from most other people.

With regards to the soundtrack, they should play the music in times of high action (like in movies) and cut it out it times of when something unexpected is about to happen (like in horror movies etc...).....just a thought.

That's excactly the "middle-way" I was talking about earlier, during my little discussion with Revenant (He doesn't want music in Doom 3, I *want* music in Doom 3).

Lots of situations, where there is no music, but lots of eerie, scary environmental sounds, some situations where there is a general creepy atmosphere, where ambient music is playing, and finally, some good hard-pumping music in situations with lots of action.

SOundtrack? We don't need no stinking soundtrack! Ambience is the way to go, especially with a game pushing realism as Doom 3 appears to be.

absolütley.

Reznor didnt get in enough time to creat the music he wanted for Q1. {as you can notice by how each song repeats itself about fifteen times..}

He said himself, he'd have much more time to work on DOOMs music and make it good. Besides that, im sure he's upgraded his mac since Q1 was released ;)

BUT.. Only time will tell.. we'll see

IMO environment sounds are much more important than music, they are an essential part of the game design, while music is more an addon. Most games I play with music turned of, just listening to the world´s sound.

BTW, I never listened to Trent´s Quake soundtrack, I only have a copy without music. Can I download the tracks somewhere?

Heh, just saw on Doomcenter that a musician named Jamie Robertson (you probably know about him already) has sent in his idea of what Doom 3's music should be like.
This mp3 ain't bad, but at some point (2 and a half minute into the song I think) it gets a bit too cheesy.

download the tracks over kazza and audioglaxy, but the only ones worth getting are...

damnation - children sceaming and string pulling.. classic!
hall of souls - guiness world record of most distorted guitar right here, static wiht notes
theme (raped) - this is good for the first 2 minutes, but gets boring quickly.
intermison - too simple, but only 1 minute anyway
parallel dimensions - best song hands down, 7 minutes long, clever surprise with the growling towards the end

so out of 10 tracks only 5 are even close to worth listening to on their own, the rest are TOTALLY boring wihtout the gme

the sound effects on the other hand, are beyond fantastic, quake had the best "sound" of any game hands down

hall of souls - guiness world record of most distorted guitar right here, static wiht notes

listen to some mortician, buddy

BTW, I never listened to Trent´s Quake soundtrack, I only have a copy without music. Can I download the tracks somewhere?

I can send you them if you're able to recieve them in one way or another.

the sound effects on the other hand, are beyond fantastic, quake had the best "sound" of any game hands down

so "hands down" means "hey i'm ironic!"?

so "hands down" means "hey i'm ironic!"?

its an expression for "bets off" as DEFINITLEY

The hell?

i was commenting on the "most distorted guitar, etc" statement...if you wanna hear a guitar that's REALLY (and i mean really) distorted and down-tuned, listen to a new york death metal band called "mortician"...

there...

Trent Reznor AND Robert Prince should give their best to give you all what you want !

TIME TO DIE, FRIEND !

Maybe because there are fewer stupid newbies for you to trash?

Yeah, those were the days.

/me flashes back, but flashes back to far before even the egg was fertilized that created him, and loses all motor control

I played Quake all the way through this weekend, and also watched Full Metal Jacket, and I realized 2 things:
1) The Quake sountrack is actually pretty good for ambient music.
2) One of the tracks on the Quake soundtrack sounds like one of the ambient scores on FMJ: the one when they go into the building to kill the sniper.

Yeah, some of Quakes music tracks gave a decent atmosphere, while others were completely weird and out of place (the track playing in the human base levels - wtf?). There was *one* track in Quake1 I actually found fairly half-decent, I don't remember which track it was, but it played the first time on e1m4 - The Grisly Grotto. That track sounded evil enough and didn't have too many horrible artificial sounds, but it was monotonious as Hell - just went on and on along the same lines.

Well, Quake's sounds are horrible.

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!?!?!? Quad damage? Chocking?!?! chainsaw dragging?!?!?!? THE ROCKET LAUNCHER!?!?!?!?!

were talking the most well desinged sound effects EVER, tehy fit the game PERFECTLY, and actually had BASS

i was commenting on the "most distorted guitar, etc" statement...if you wanna hear a guitar that's REALLY (and i mean really) distorted and down-tuned, listen to a new york death metal band called "mortician"...

there...

nope, it must be a different kind of distortion im talking about, mortician sounds more Base-y and it was still clear what NOTE the guitar is on, harmonics and everything is still there. In the hall of souls maybe reznor wasnt doing analog based distortion or something, because it was more "static", less "inside of a running engine"

IMO the music should be like Doom64. Dark Citadel in particular had a good track.
Quake's soundtrack was rather shitty except for song 5, which was really good.