Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FrankWest

Impossible? [Surviving the Hell invasion in Doom 3]

Does anyone think the Hell invasion in Doom 3 is impossible to survive? I mean seriously you get Z-secs having handguns firing at you and you take the bullets like there nothing.You get demons that can shoot fireballs from a distance.You go to hell itself and you escape it...the Doom 3 marine must be the luckiest guy ever.Does anyone think the invasion has a survival possibility or is it just plain impossible if this were to occur in real life.

Not necessarily, just that there is no room for error in real life. Of course disregarding that most levels and scenarios are designed with the player character's inhuman abilities (stamina, reflexes, recklessness) in mind.

I've always considered NIGHTMARE! to be the "canonical" difficulty of the Doom games, so surviving the Hell Invasion in Doom 3 wouldn't be impossible. It would be every bit as easy as beating the entire game on the highest difficulty, without saving, loading, pausing or dying, the first time that you ever play it.

Sure, there is a chance to survive, but if Hell really did have power to take over, it'd be pretty damn hard I would imagine.

hervoheebo said:

Of course disregarding that most levels and scenarios are designed with the player character's inhuman abilities (stamina, reflexes, recklessness) in mind.

And also disregarding that the computer-controlled enemies act with a subhuman intelligence. And that there is no equivalent to hellspawn or shotgun-toting zombiemen in real life.

Tetzlaff said:

Every First-Person Shooter would be impossible to survive in real life.

If that were true, then everyone that ever went to war would be dead. And it'd be a bitch to recruit people for SWAT or SEAL.

kristus said:

If that were true, then everyone that ever went to war would be dead. And it'd be a bitch to recruit people for SWAT or SEAL.

Because those games are so realistic, right?

If the Doom 3 invasion was real, then not every single marine would die so easily like in Doom 3. (I mean come on Bravo Team, you don't see the freakin shadows hovering over you?) But if you had the armor that the Doom 3 marine had you would die instantly, because I'm pretty sure he should have died when going outside onto Mars's surface with no helmet.

Creaphis said:

It would be every bit as easy as beating the entire game on the highest difficulty, without saving, loading, pausing or dying, the first time that you ever play it.

zzz because shooting a gun is as easy irl as it is in Doom 3... Pretty sure it would immensely harder because you're actually there, not playing a character. The mechanics/logistics of it all would way more brutal than a game.

Well, I can imagine a well trained marine being able to shoot various types of guns with ease rather than, say, an average video game nerd. However, the real hard part comes in at the expense of enemy projectiles. Bullets will not do minimal damage like in DooM, they are very lethal. And I'm sure fireballs / plasma balls can really hurt. Medkits probably won't heal your perfectly and you actually have to take time to apply it rather than step on it. Same goes for ammo and armor. But the difficulty to shoot a gun would vary from person to person. Only a marine or a Clevelander will have the best chance there.

Krispavera said:

It's a game dude, who cares.

mmm, DOOM 3 seems survivable. I mean, how hard can it be?
All you have to do is go through
Hell and back while fighting 10ft tall minotaurs with organic metal rocket-launchers growing inplace of thier arm while some fat wad of brown with dual-projectiled flame throwers (RPFT rocket-propelled flame thrower) fires at you non-stop in 3 shot bursts while you spontaneously combust due to some skeleton making robot sounds.

Doesn't sound even remotely hard.

Atleast it isn't MW2 where super-man apperently comes out of nowhere and digs his knife into your chest.

yellowmadness54 said:

...10ft tall minotaurs with organic metal rocket-launchers growing inplace of thier arm...

I think the cyberdemon is supposed to be like 25 feet tall...

kristus said:

There's a big difference between shooter campaigns and actual military experience. Real soldiers see a lot less combat than an FPS hero. They also have a lot of coop allies that actually have human intelligence. If they are wounded but not lethally, they get to go home to recover in a hospital, instead of just waiting 10 seconds behind a crate before continuing onwards.

yellowmadness54 said:

mmm, DOOM 3 seems survivable. I mean, how hard can it be?
All you have to do is go through
Hell and back while fighting 10ft tall minotaurs with organic metal rocket-launchers growing inplace of thier arm while some fat wad of brown with dual-projectiled flame throwers (RPFT rocket-propelled flame thrower) fires at you non-stop in 3 shot bursts while you spontaneously combust due to some skeleton making robot sounds.

Not to mention that Doom3guy's movement speed is closer to reality than Doom1guy's. Or do real humans move even slower than the guy in Doom 3?

printz said:

Not to mention that Doom3guy's movement speed is closer to reality than Doom1guy's. Or do real humans move even slower than the guy in Doom 3?

I can move faster than D3 guy while not on sprint in real life, but way slower than if he were on sprint.

Hes either too slow or too fast.

Cyberdemon is MUCH taller than 10 feet. You walk between his legs with ease and I assume the Doom marine is about 6 feet tall, give or take a few inches. Cyberdemon has to be at least 25 feet tall. It's tall, but I've seen taller (Unreal Titan is 30 feet tall).

PRIMEVAL said:

Cyberdemon is MUCH taller than 10 feet. You walk between his legs with ease and I assume the Doom marine is about 6 feet tall, give or take a few inches.

Ah, you mean the DOOM³ Cyberdemon. That's possible. The classic Cyberdemon is probably around 12 feet tall or so, since the DOOMGuy's head goes up to about groin level on a classic Cyberdemon.

He's supposed to be as big as a house in the original, but that's subjective. But still, that's more than 10 feet, probably 15 at best maybe.

PRIMEVAL said:

He's supposed to be as big as a house in the original, but that's subjective. But still, that's more than 10 feet, probably 15 at best maybe.

Well, doomguy is atleast 6ft or so. Seeing as to how the cyberdemon is a bit taller, it may be somewhat 10-13ft at most.

Its big, but not that big.

In doom3, it is certainly around 25ft.

PRIMEVAL said:

Unreal Titan is 30 feet tall.

I don't mean to go off-topic but those scared the shit out of me in Unreal as a kid and to think I never actually completed the game until two years ago. What an experience.

Cyanosis said:

I don't mean to go off-topic but those scared the shit out of me in Unreal as a kid and to think I never actually completed the game until two years ago. What an experience.

They are beastly. My favorite monster of the game. For about a year, I was too scared to go past the first level X)

Its a game of course.

Anyone going to hell or a lava filled cavern would die. Heat rises and with no ventalation it would be 400+ degrees inside. Maybe the space marine suit could withstand that, but then there's the need for oxygen.

I'd say the cyber demon is 20 feet tall in DOOM 3. 8 feet from the ground to its crotch so its legs can be open and the marine can walk through. Torso is longer than the legs and the head and horn height.

A lot of the population would die from shock over seeing anything like real life demons or anything so hideous and deadly.

Another thing to consider is what would the demons be after? Obliterate the planet? The US would roll out tanks to overwhelm the cyber demons or bomb them. Would they be after food like an animal? Kill us when they're hungry. Would it be to make us them like the zombies? Would it be to procreate like xenomorphs?

Would they care if we hid from them or would they smell us out and kill us all?

Plus since imps shoot lavaballs and vulgars shoot plasma, would killing them reveal their blood is super heated? Like a xenomorph has acid.

Depending on what they want, an imp can probably take out 100 people in a week. Send 1 cyberdemon per 5,000 people. Heck have a cyberdemon climb skyscrapers one handed and just missile everything. If I can climb something with 2 legs and a hand, I'm sure they could. Sure there would be planes and rockets to shoot them down, but the jets and tanks would get destroyed in the process.

geo said:

Another thing to consider is what would the demons be after?

Chaos.

Plus since imps shoot lavaballs and vulgars shoot plasma, would killing them reveal their blood is super heated? Like a xenomorph has acid.

Possibly. I seem to recall a scene in one of the DOOM³ titles where a scientist is dissecting an Imp (whose body has somehow not vaporized like all the others you've killed. Go figure) and its exposed innards seem to be steaming or smoking like they're very hot.