Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
dsm

Sound "design"

I just thought of something rather important regarding sounds.
I've recently been playing both HeXen (well, the demo version that is, I've lost my full copy of the game) and Doom, and I realized that a part of why these games r0x0rs imo, is that the sounds are well-designed, meaning that the sound, when blasting an imp away with your single-barreled shotgun (or a demon with the db shotgun) for instance, is so immensely satisfying somehow.

I hope that Id design the sounds the right way.

I agree. One of the major reasons Doom freaks me out so much is the sound/sound recording. I mean, The demons and zombies all made such weird (fucked up!) noises that most of the time scare the hell outta you, especially the heavy breathing and chuckling of the ArchVile, the scraping gargantuan hooves of the CyberDemon, and the death cry of the Hell Barons. These noises, in conjunction with the dark, morbid atmosphere, make for a thrilling nightmare. Id needs to pull this off with Doom 3, or I fear there will be a certain lack of horror in the game.

apart from the demon's cry.other sound like the sound when bullet hit some certain surface (metal door,concrete,glass ,water).it must be realistic as it can be.the cyberdemon hooves should shake all everything in entire screen(in physics way) and cause extra sound besides the footstep.hope that Greame Devine will do the best of his sound design.

Well, from what I have read in interviews etc. Id are focussing a lot more on sound this time around --> good sign!
So far, I have a lot of faith in Id to pull off well-designed sounds and it would be perfect imo if they made some of the sounds slightly similar to the sounds in the old games.

Sounds are far more important than graphics when you're trying to scare the player. At least we'll have a Dolby Surround engine in DOOM, but it's up to them record kickass samples.

Yeah, they better give us sounds which provide us with the same giddy joy when blowing imps away. With dolby surround they could make it awesome, but the sounds have to be good.

Hi everyone. In another thread, there were some conversations about other games that could go head to head with Doom3's graphics. Often, that's easier to spot because the graphics portion of the game seems to get the most attention.

But what about sound? Are there any games out their that really push the envelope at being immersive sound-wise? Anything we think could compare to Doom3's sound (whatever that will be)? I don't know much about games, but I'm interested in learning where this aspect of game technology is going. Do you need any special "GeForce-equivalent" sound hardware?

Thief II is by far the richest game when it comes to sound. Period.

Thanks Zaldron-- I'm going to try out the demo.

I never quite understood the differnces in 3D sound standards.

EAX (1 and 2), A3D (1 and 2), QSound, DirectSound 7. What the F#CK! Dolby 5.1 (surround). Does anybody know about this shit?

If someone want to hear something about Dolby...

Dolby 5.1 is "Dolby Digital":
It consists of 5.1 channels - front left, front right, center surround left, surround right, and an additional channel exclusively reserved for additional deep bass sound effects the 0.1 channel(up to 120Hz if I remember correctly).
Unlike analog Dolby Surround and Dolby Pro logic Surround Dolby Digital's main channels can all contain full range sound information. The signals within each channel are distinct from the others allowing pinpoint sound imaging free from noise and distortion.

Dolby Pro Logic:
Sources recorded in Dolby Surround are sources on which surround signals (three or four channels) are recorded onto two channels using Surround encoding technology. Dolby Pro Logic is a multi-channel playback system which decodes those Surround encoded channels into four channels (left, center, right and surround (the surround channel is monaural but played through two speakers)).
With Dolby Pro Logic's digital signal processing, channels with higher signal levels of the different channels of the source recorded in Dolby Surround are monitored, channels with higher signal levels are emphasized and the level of other channels is decreased in order to reinforce the directivity and achive an effective surround sound.

Dolby Theater Surround:
5.1 like DPL, but the channels are fully independent recorded, eleminating the risk of deterioration of sound quality due to interference between signals. The contra is that it needs a very high data rate with a low compression.
DTS is used in movie theatres and often there is a seperate CDR synchronized with the film played.

ok...my finger hurts.
I permanently had to look into my ger-eng dictonary because of spelling...I hope I've written the most things correct.

thx for info,revenant.i'm glad that my SB X-gamer live have dolby digital 5.1 support.so no need for upgarding it.{but i can see the future that i will be completely broked for upgrading my com for DOOM.)