Doom 4 better have...

...a shotgun that can shoot more than ten feet. Seriously, why is every game developer and player under the impression that you have to be a point blank range to hit anything with a shotgun? I swear that if real shotguns behaved like the one in Doom 3, then a damn chainsaw would probably be a good alternate to one in a combat situation.

It turns them into a boring situational weapon, and since it's not even realistic the only reason to add it is to follow the trend of newer games. So if Doom 4 ends up having a boring melee shotgun I'll do something terrible... like... like... make a mod to change it.

</rant>

Relevant.

Share this post


Link to post

first of all, shotguns shoot well over 50 yards "I hate how in modern games shotguns behave realistically".

Secondly, in MW2, im pretty sure the SPAS-12 shot like a mile away.

So your argument that shotguns dont shoot far enough (and also how you said realistically, which was why I added that first bit) is invalid.

Share this post


Link to post
yellowmadness54 said:

So your argument that shotguns dont shoot far enough (and also how you said realistically, which was why I added that first bit) is invalid.


The DOOM³ shotgun still had pathetic range, however. It wasn't all bad, since a lot of the combat in the game was close quarters anyway, and it gave you more incentive to actually use the machinegun. Still, it certainly wasn't as handy as the classic DOOM shotgun.

Share this post


Link to post
yellowmadness54 said:

first of all, shotguns shoot well over 50 yards "I hate how in modern games shotguns behave realistically".


An entire two characters after that I added "as in their weakness in range is greatly exaggerated in a way that's not even slightly realistic". I was being sarcastic. Edited my main post to avoid this conversation continuing.

Realism wasn't even my entire argument. I also added that it turns the shotgun into a situation weapon, which is boring and doesn't match the original Doom where the shotgun was the standard weapon.

The Call of Duty shotgun was nerfed because players complained about it.

Share this post


Link to post

I think I used the shotgun like 5 times throughout the entire playthrough I did recently. It's pretty useless. Machinegun is better close quarters than the shotty is. Also, a pistol with a GOOD firing sound would be nice, not some *splat* sound.

Share this post


Link to post
PRIMEVAL said:

I think I used the shotgun like 5 times throughout the entire playthrough I did recently. It's pretty useless. Machinegun is better close quarters than the shotty is. Also, a pistol with a GOOD firing sound would be nice, not some *splat* sound.


funny, I was the exact opposite. i thought the machine gun was useless entirely, and shotgun was the best.

the pistol would have been awesome with new sound effects, however, some huge awesome gun noise would not match its over all weakness.

Share this post


Link to post

Finally a Doom 3 thread that actually talks about Doom 3!!

PRIMEVAL said:

Machinegun is better close quarters than the shotty is.

I disagree. Try shooting a fat zombie at melee range with the machinegun, it will hurt you badly.

Share this post


Link to post
yellowmadness54 said:

Secondly, in MW2, im pretty sure the SPAS-12 shot like a mile away

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

Maybe compared to other CoD Shitguns. It still went barely any distance before the hitscan "pellets" magically disappeared.

As for the "super short range shotgun", it has probably got something to do with the multiplayer focus of shooters these days. People have continuously bitched about shotguns being "overpowered!" for quite some time. Hell, people bitch about CoD shitguns being "OP!!!!1", even in MW2 where EVERY FUCKING GUN (except maybe the F2000 and some of the SMGs) was overpowered.

Hell, I imagine if 343 studios' remake of Halo 1 maintained the original's shotgun range, people will be crying constantly on the forums about it being overpowered.

Share this post


Link to post
Xeros612 said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

Maybe compared to other CoD Shitguns. It still went barely any distance before the hitscan "pellets" magically disappeared.

As for the "super short range shotgun", it has probably got something to do with the multiplayer focus of shooters these days. People have continuously bitched about shotguns being "overpowered!" for quite some time. Hell, people bitch about CoD shitguns being "OP!!!!1", even in MW2 where EVERY FUCKING GUN (except maybe the F2000 and some of the SMGs) was overpowered.

Hell, I imagine if 343 studios' remake of Halo 1 maintained the original's shotgun range, people will be crying constantly on the forums about it being overpowered.


No...I can assure you the SPAS-12 literally shot across the map everytime I used it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUw8U70jQ8A
you were saying?

Share this post


Link to post
printz said:

I disagree. Try shooting a fat zombie at melee range with the machinegun, it will hurt you badly.


Those only happened the 5 times I used a shotgun :P

Share this post


Link to post
Xeros612 said:

wat
That's not even a third of the way across the SMALLEST MAP IN THE GAME. You were saying?

still a rather long distance, longer than you are saying.

I think the shotgun should be replaced with a sniperrofl

Share this post


Link to post

Not really, that's a really short distance, and it doesn't really do much damage.

Besides, this is an age of gaming where it's seen as "legitimate" for sniper rifles to be used proficiently in CQC via lucky-ass noscopes and that quickscoping bullshit all the 12 year olds gush over, so why not allow a shotgun to work outside of its game-niche a bit?

Share this post


Link to post
Xeros612 said:

Not really, that's a really short distance, and it doesn't really do much damage.

Besides, this is an age of gaming where it's seen as "legitimate" for sniper rifles to be used proficiently in CQC via lucky-ass noscopes and that quickscoping bullshit all the 12 year olds gush over, so why not allow a shotgun to work outside of its game-niche a bit?


HAI! quikskoping takez skill.

But with all seriousness, quick scope, no scoping is pathetic.

Share this post


Link to post
PRIMEVAL said:

...the shotgun... It's pretty useless.


Now you're just saying stuff to start arguments.

Share this post


Link to post

In multiplayer, the SPAS-12 had great range compared to most video game shotguns, but that's only a balance thing: the pump action shotguns are always fire the best (as opposed to the AA-12, which is nerfed horribly).

In single player/co-op, where balance isn't an issue with weapons, they behave more realistically, the shotguns shoot decently far and the AA-12 is a blast to use.

Is this the Doom 3 shotgun mod you guys were talking about?
http://www.fileplanet.com/144979/140000/fileinfo/DOOM-3---Classic-Shotgun-Mod

Share this post


Link to post
Megamur said:

Now you're just saying stuff to start arguments.


Actually, no one's saying anything overtly controversial. It's just that any criticism of the subpar arsenal in Doom 3 has been done to death already. We get it, the weapons suck. Download a mod/make a mod to cure it.

Share this post


Link to post

A shotgun with a long or reasonably lengthy barrel would have greater accuracy than a shotgun with a shortened or sawed off barrel. The one in D3 didn't exactly have a long barrel compared to Classic Doom's version.

Share this post


Link to post
Cyanosis said:

A shotgun with a long or reasonably lengthy barrel would have greater RANGE than a shotgun with a shortened or sawed off barrel. The one in D3 didn't exactly have a long barrel compared to Classic Doom's version.


*fixed

I really dont find a reason why the shotgun would need more range. In doom 3 most of the enemies were barely a few feet away.

Sometimes they may be on other platforms, but thats what a rocket launcher-plasma gun is for (because typically they are larger enemies)

I think the BFG needs a scope.

Share this post


Link to post

Why would you need to aim the BFG?

All I want for Doom 4 is good graphics, classic gameplay and a heavy metal/ambient soundtrack.

Also if FOX news doesn't hate it then I'm not buying it.

Share this post


Link to post
Marnetmar said:

Why would you need to aim the BFG?


that was the point, to say its just as pointless to increase shotgun range unless you need to do some imp sniping, which I doubt will happen in doom4.

Share this post


Link to post

I don't think you understand. In classic doom you could shoot demons from an extremely far range even though you didn't "aim". In doom 3 you had zero change of hitting them if they were more than five feet away.

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah, why are we trying to be realistic here? This is Doom we're talking about!

Share this post


Link to post
Marnetmar said:

I don't think you understand. In classic doom you could shoot demons from an extremely far range even though you didn't "aim". In doom 3 you had zero change of hitting them if they were more than five feet away.

The DOom 3 pistol is stupidly accurate, and the machinegun pretty much as well...

Share this post


Link to post
yellowmadness54 said:

I really dont find a reason why the shotgun would need more range. In doom 3 most of the enemies were barely a few feet away.


Too bad that the effective range was barely short of that. 3 feet OK, 4 feet? Ridiculous scattering. Unrealistic even if D3 Doomguy was using one of those:

Share this post


Link to post
Maes said:

Too bad that the effective range was barely short of that. 3 feet OK, 4 feet? Ridiculous scattering. Unrealistic even if D3 Doomguy was using one of those:


true. I think the pistol should have a better fire rate, or at the very least a tad bit more damage. I know, I know, its meant to be weak, but its pretty much useless even when its the only weapon you got aside from fists or flashlight.

I think the pistol should have a tactical chainsaw to go with it, as well.

Share this post


Link to post
printz said:

The DOom 3 pistol is stupidly accurate, and the machinegun pretty much as well...


I thought we were talking about the shotgun.

Share this post


Link to post
This topic is now closed to further replies.