Best level in Doom 3?

For me it's most definitely Central Processing.Besides the fact that it is a remake of the original Central Processing level, it uses a few Doom 1 textures and it has loads of action, especially on veteran.What do you think?

Share this post


Link to post
DooM_RO said:

it uses a few Doom 1 textures

I'd like to know which exactly. And to answer your question, I also like CPU but especially its sequel which feels very Doom 2 with all its Archviles and Revenants, not to mention Site 3, which looks cute from the introduction screen, but bombards you with screamers immediately.

Also the Martian caverns are interesting, because they're so specific to Doom 3.

Share this post


Link to post
printz said:

I'd like to know which exactly. And to answer your question, I also like CPU but especially its sequel which feels very Doom 2 with all its Archviles and Revenants, not to mention Site 3, which looks cute from the introduction screen, but bombards you with screamers immediately.

Also the caverns are interesting, because they're so specific to Doom 3.


I'm pretty sure it's TEKWALL2, COMPWALL, COMP2 and SKSPINE1, everyone who forgot the level should play it again on veteran, it resembles Doom 1 the most

Share this post


Link to post

I love Classic Doom 3. It's an interpretation of KDITD on the awesome D3 engine.

As for the main question, I liked the atmosphere in the first level of Doom 3. Everything was fine, there were no monsters (yet...), though something just felt plain wrong...

Share this post


Link to post

[PROTOTYPE] said:
I love Classic Doom 3. It's an interpretation of KDITD on the awesome D3 engine.

As for the main question, I liked the atmosphere in the first level of Doom 3. Everything was fine, there were no monsters (yet...), though something just felt plain wrong...


I liked it when it was released but when I look at it now it doesn't impress me anymore.The Doom 3 mod which shows the most potential is Doom 3 Phobos, made by the RTC 3057 team.Visit their moddb page, it's incredible.

I was wondering when was the last time most of you guys played doom 3?One year ago, two, three?Perhaps if you played it now, you would have a different opinion, I would love to see some of the bias regarding doom 3 cleared, it has a lot of nice qualities, you know.

Share this post


Link to post
DooM_RO said:

The Doom 3 mod which shows the most potential is Doom 3 Phobos,

I'm curious, what does a Doom 3 mod-in-progress need in order to interest classic Doomers, like Phobos does? Is it because of the name and some of the guys who work on it being classic Doomers themselves, or is it the substance?

Share this post


Link to post

The Hell level, without a doubt. In Perfected Doom³ (starting in version 6.2.0), the campaign is expanded where you'll also fight the Icon of Sin before returning to Delta Complex.

Share this post


Link to post

Whatever the first area was called, where the demon invasion started and I was still hopeful that this was going to be a good game. Doom 3's base levels have long since blurred into one boring blue-gray trudge.

As for what I need out of a Doom 3 mod, more monsters that are easier to kill alongside interesting architecture and texturing. Combat was the most boring part of Doom 3, and something Classic Doom 3 really failed at. They increased the monster count, but they still seemed able to take you out way too quickly, especially the shotgun guys, while your weapons still felt mostly ineffective.

Share this post


Link to post

DooM_RO said:
Perhaps if you played it now, you would have a different opinion, I would love to see some of the bias regarding doom 3 cleared, it has a lot of nice qualities, you know. [/B]

Doom 3's graphics held pretty well in time, and today it's still a decent-looking game. An interesting fact is that, back in 2003, when the game was released, there were nearly no PCs capable of supporting it's graphics in Ultra-High mode, and the ones that did were waaaaay over affordable...

Share this post


Link to post

Doom 3 is fun to some degree, but it (like so many games these days) has the problem of having almost no standout areas. Like Dragonsbrethren mentinoed, the levels all start to blur together. I can't even remember what half of them are named.

Granted, that's not really a grievous sin compared to a lot of other modern game tropes, though Doom 3 did a better job at avoiding them than most. Enemies still used projectiles, for one. :P

Share this post


Link to post

My favorite was the level where you eventually stumble across the cyber demon and run through his legs. I loved the atmosphere of that stage.

My complaint about Doom3 was too much tech-style levels and not enough Hell levels.

Share this post


Link to post
DooM_RO said:

I'm pretty sure it's TEKWALL2, COMPWALL, COMP2 and SKSPINE1, everyone who forgot the level should play it again on veteran, it resembles Doom 1 the most






Share this post


Link to post

^ Yeah, that's the part I'm talking about.I wonder if we can find more classic doom references in d3?Not easter eggs but actual level design inspiration.

Share this post


Link to post

First Delta Labs level. I love how the first few minutes you don't actually get attacked, but you do see monsters here and there, and hear them. And generally the place is more trashed than Alpha, giving the feeling that you're closer to the source but that the demons have pretty much cleared the area and moved on. I love the atmosphere of that level.

Share this post


Link to post

I like the Hell Level, Delta 1, the excavation levels, and I actually like the first Alpha level too. I don't really remember the rest.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now