Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
dsm

Doom 64 influence

Originally posted by dsm
Such a story would be lame imo, two similar "Hell" incidents so close to each other? Nice try though.

Same technology is bound to fail alike. Besides one could interpretate the failure not as a fuck-up from the humans, but how "Hell" takes control of the situation once the tissue of reality is softened by the slipgate complex (term stolen from Quake but what the hell, the promise was the same as Doom's, only the menace was different).

Because the UAC didn't want to ruin expensive equipment...

Son of a bitches. I'd like to kill a UAC representative in Doom. Like, after the whole deal is done.

Originally posted by dsm
Because the UAC didn't want to ruin expensive equipment...

I would rather destroy everything rather than leting some cheap equipment and demons over run the base and earth

Well firstly, they don't know what's happening on Phobos (even if they did, they probably overestimate the marines) - they send in marines to investigate.
Secondly, since Phobos is so far away from Earth, they have no idea that the demons are able to get to Earth (it's still a mystery to me how the demons got to Earth in the first place - it's not really explained in any of the games).

Once the demons are loose on Earth, they don't want to nuke their own home and risk killing thousands of potential survivors.

[edit]The reason I think a prequel would be lame is that the story would be nothing not heard about before no matter how I look at it, it'd also kill the "the-UAC-were-the-bastards-who-first-created-a-gateway-to-Hell" aspect, which I happen to like so much. Besides, there's PLENTY material to do a sequel - I have thought up next to a dozen possible continuations of Doom 2's storyline[/edit]

Originally posted by dsm
Well firstly, they don't know what's happening on Phobos (even if they did, they probably overestimate the marines) - they send in marines to investigate.
Secondly, since Phobos is so far away from Earth, they have no idea that the demons are able to get to Earth (it's still a mystery to me how the demons got to Earth in the first place - it's not really explained in any of the games).

Once the demons are loose on Earth, they don't want to nuke their own home and risk killing thousands of potential survivors.

[edit]The reason I think a prequel would be lame is that the story would be nothing not heard about before no matter how I look at it, it'd also kill the "the-UAC-were-the-bastards-who-first-created-a-gateway-to-Hell" aspect, which I happen to like so much. Besides, there's PLENTY material to do a sequel - I have thought up next to a dozen possible continuations of Doom 2's storyline[/edit]

Well in Final Doom the demons where flying a giant ship so maybe they came whit the same ship?

The backstories for final Doom is probably the worst excuses for game backstories I've seen - a huge spaceship made out of steel and flesh??? Oh come on!

Originally posted by Fredrik
Any additional music should IMO be used only in relation to special events.

That reminds me, I should finish my article about how to set up and implement a good scripted soundtrack based on in-game happenings and events.

Originally posted by dsm
The backstories for final Doom is probably the worst excuses for game backstories I've seen - a huge spaceship made out of steel and flesh??? Oh come on!

And a portal to Hell in Doom!! oh please.....

Originally posted by dsm
a huge spaceship made out of steel and flesh??? Oh come on!

Why? That part rules. I dunno what you picture, but I picture something very cool.

Ok, the fleshy spaceship indicates that the demons are a little too much like humans. That goes against my basic idea on what demons are like - THAT's what I don't like. They're demons dammit, not spacealiens! Just about as ridiculous as if the demons spoke English.

The gateway to Hell is a lot more interesting and mysterious imo - humans try to build a teleporter which fucks up with reality so that a rift to Hell opens. The demons of Hell apparently corrupts the rift and ultimately turns it into an actual gateway to Hell.

It's called cyberdemon for a reason y'know.
It's mechanically enhanced demonlord and not a friggin' spacealien.

That reminds me, I should finish my article about how to set up and implement a good scripted soundtrack based on in-game happenings and events.

Weren't you going to do an article about Doom 3's music for me once ?

Originally posted by FlatHead
Weren't you going to do an article about Doom 3's music for me once ?

Heh, yeah, that's what I was talking about :P

Originally posted by dsm
It's called cyberdemon for a reason y'know.
It's mechanically enhanced demonlord and not a friggin' spacealien.

I always assumed some kind of overling alien took the demonic creatures from various places and gave them enhancements. So teh Mancubus has flamethowers added; the Cyberdemon has a rocketlauncher and iron hoof stuck on. Maybe the Barons of Hell were just big angry things like our own lions and tigers before so they gave them enhancements.

I'd like to see Doom 3 take that enhancement thing further.

Originally posted by pritch

I always assumed some kind of overling alien took the demonic creatures from various places and gave them enhancements. So teh Mancubus has flamethowers added; the Cyberdemon has a rocketlauncher and iron hoof stuck on. Maybe the Barons of Hell were just big angry things like our own lions and tigers before so they gave them enhancements.

I'd like to see Doom 3 take that enhancement thing further.

But the Mancubus ( my fave ) hasn't got any flamethrowers but some kind of rocketlauncher. Well Zaldron Hell has just forgotten one thing and it is that hell never gave the demons a brain!