Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

Can Doom 3 Expansion be beaten without the artifacts?

Has anyone managed to safely (preferably without save-scumming) win Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil on "Veteran" without using the Grabber and the Artifact unless required? I'm trying, but I think I'm going to have lots of trouble dealing with huge Revenant ambushes (and I was warned there are going to be Bruiser ambushes too), while the player character is a weak sitting duck (too slow moving) with very little ammo available.

Pretty sure I only used the Hellstone thing for those god awful boss fights. The game is certainly a little more challenging than Doom 3 though.

I've beaten it on Veteran a couple times, but not without the Artifact. Most of the game would be doable without it I guess, though it'd be an incredibly long and arduous process, involving more player deaths than I could count. The Maledict (final boss) would be damn near impossible without the artifact, simply because of the parts where he rains meteors down from the sky. Because of their speed, distribution and unpredictable appearances, it's really damn hard to avoid getting hit at least once every time he does that move. And I'm pretty sure one meteor hit kills you on Veteran.

There's only one artifact, it upgrades after you pwn bosses. It would be impossible to finish the expansion without it because the first thing that you see after receiving the artifact is a trap that can only be beaten, if i recall it right, by using slow-mo. After that there are rows of crushers, same deal. All ambushes are beatable without the artifact, but some of them would require more than a few retries. So, there you have it.

I've played through the majority of the game without the artifact and grabber. There are a few places where you need them. Like on the first boss and the subsequent timing BS they got put after it. Also I'm pretty sure you need the artifact for Betruger. But I've not tried that fight yet. But the two other hell hunters are perfectly beatable without it. It's the best way to play the game imo. Had a lot more fun with that playthrough than the previous one.