Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shaviro

Media/Info Disscusion Thread

Yeah you can clearly see they're really dedicated. There's little difference between Kenneth Scott sketches and the Menard's models. And this is the skinner guy who likes ot overdetail stuff.

Yeah so far I'm impressed. I'm not stuttering or shaking or anything, this is what I expected. Damn good graphics. I'm more impressed with the concept art, however, and how closely it matches the end result.

BTW, Doom had the Cyberdemon and Spider Masterminds long before Quake 2 had cyborgs so your argument that these enemies are Q2 designed is flawed.

Where can I find more sketches, either near final result or basic concept art, done by the id bios - Kevin Cloud? - Adrian Carmack? - Kenneth Scott?

The amount of official data is so fucking small, can't you just search for it?

As for non-Doom stuff, heh, that'll be tough. There's this Kenneth Scott interview down at Polycount, though...

deadnail said:

BTW, Doom had the Cyberdemon and Spider Masterminds long before Quake 2 had cyborgs so your argument that these enemies are Q2 designed is flawed.

Exactly, Quake2 was the first id game with the technology to support creatures similar to those found in Doom. That's why they're similar. Apparently id artists love that kind of stuff.

No Weedster, I'm way more gangsta than that guy.
Westside for life biatches!!1

Err, back to Doom 3...

BTW, check the vid at 5:34.53

For some reason, there is a butcher's cleaver below the BoH-type of creature's sketch.

the_Danarchist said:

The original looks cooler!

lol, you quoted?

original of which looks cooler? the piggy?

new imp does`t look bad.maybe it looks too cool to be an imp = ) the fireball attack is there,and the moving fireball looks believableit likely to be that Baron will have his green fireball attack(hope the fire ball attack can travel more far in the air than imp`s)
i`m happy that the occult,demonic thing will be in DOOM3.that will be DOOMISH.Hope that Baron will be look goat-liked.

Crix said:

Oh and the pinky's head action reminded me of a penis and foreskin, haha. I guess I'm more sick-minded than Flathead.

No actually that's exactly what came into my mind. But I try to keep the phallic references out of the forum whenever possible.

Zaldron said:

For some reason, there is a butcher's cleaver below the BoH-type of creature's sketch.

Yeah, almost looks like one of those cool stylized daggers out of Heavy Metal: FAKK2 or something. It would be interesting as a melee weapon, I guess... I get the feeling this is going to be the most bloody id game yet.

Off course I like the media given to us, but what I think is a bit strange (but what do I know1?) is that all the footage is exactly the same as shown at the Apple/GF3 technology demo in Tokio and at Quacecon 2001.

I noticed that JC said that the engine and other supporting tools where ready. But then I quess the where already done one year ago.

The other stuff is; the same scenes; the same animations (monster jumps, bathroom scene etc)

Why is this, enlighten me!

FlatHead said:

And the lost soul is just great in the way it looks much more human than the original, and it's now powered by some kinda sparkly engine instead of the Mystical Crappy Fire (tm).

(Hoping that Zaldron doesn't regard this as "non-constructive criticism") Why don't I like the new lost soul? Because of the exact same reasons you like it.
Hell, it doesn't even look like a soul anymore - more like some flying cyborg droid. The fact that the old one was levitating freely without any "support" gave it a really creepy "soul-like" feel to it and made me see it as a demonic "lost soul" - I just can't identify this cyborg thing as a "lost soul".
[edit]I wouldn't mind if this "thing" takes over the basic role of the old lost soul, if the "old" lost soul is somehow represented too. Imagine that the new pain elemental launches transparent, fiery skulls (the REAL new lost soul) at the player (kinda like the zombies in RtCW launch evil skulls at the player) which explode or something when they hit a wall or the player - that would be cool and would also make sense.[/edit]

I have to confess that I think it's a cool critter in itself, but I think it sucks that it replaces the old fiery skulls. Anyway, have any of you people HEARD/READ any official word from Carmack that this thing is indeed the lost soul?
I was actually thinking that those skulls that flew out of the "doorway portal" in the demo (which only Ling from this forum has seen), possesing the humans were the new lost souls (it would make sense to me), but if you guys have heard anything about the assumed "lost soul art"...?

999cop said:

lol, you quoted?

original of which looks cooler? the piggy?

Well, thats kinda why I quoted. grumblegrumble

I was talking about the parasite.

That picture is that blue because it's a picture of the monitor displaying the game, and not the game itself. My guess would be that the actual part of the map is only blue because of those 2 water containers.

The crosshair should be smaller IMHO.

NarcoTerror said:

The crosshair should be smaller IMHO.

Did it occur to you that you might be able to customize and even remove the crosshair?
Afaik id has always allowed players to customize AND remove the crosshair since they added crosshairs to their games, I can't see why they wouldn't keep it that way in Doom 3.

dsm said:

Did it occur to you that you might be able to customize and even remove the crosshair?
Afaik id has always allowed players to customize AND remove the crosshair since they added crosshairs to their games, I can't see why they wouldn't keep it that way in Doom 3.

There's usually a certain size that all crosshairs follow in a title. They should make them a bit smaller, unless there's some option to change it's size in the game itself.

And I do like crosshairs, so disabling them wouldn't be an option for me.

Relax, I'm pretty sure they'll change the crosshair or make smaller ones available - they did with RtCW.

Fredrik said:

I will definitely play with crosshair disabled.

(yuck)

Agreed.

And if it turns out to be freaking impossible I'll set back for the single pixel crosshair.

I'll start out by playing with a crosshair (especially because it would make sense as the marine's helmet has a flipped down visor with a heads down display), but I'll disable it once I get a feel for it.

I'm playing RtCW without crosshair now, and I can safely say that it's much cooler than when I played with crosshair on for several reasons.

Dark-tenshi said:

i`m happy that the occult,demonic thing will be in DOOM3.

IMO that is an absolutely essential element to ensure it's success and longevity.

magikal said:

IMO that is an absolutely essential element to ensure it's success and longevity.

I agree

I second that. However I'm curious on how they'll face this challenge. What will Hell look like this time? Doom's simplistic level design can't quite be translated into something more "3D". I wonder what kind of inspiration are they using for this.

Designing hellish catherdrals, burning churches and stuff like that has more lighting possibilities then just being out in the open with red lava everywhere and a red sky.

Exactly, altough people will say that's more quakish than doomy. But frankly I always thought Quake's cathedrals were the next iteration of what id attempted to archieve in Doom. There's an awful lot of gothic textures in the wad.

Zaldron said:

Exactly, altough people will say that's more quakish than doomy. But frankly I always thought Quake's cathedrals were the next iteration of what id attempted to archieve in Doom. There's an awful lot of gothic textures in the wad.

Quakes theme was kind of medievil in my opinion. And since doom III is in 2145 they could definatly pull off some gothic/hellish cathedrals with a more modern feel to them to escape the quake resemblence. Atleast I'm hoping that's what they're up to.

This got me thinking, if they're designing the last maps first how come we didn't see anything along that theme yet?