Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shaviro

Your favorite DOOM III monster?!

RRROOOAAARRR said:

Plus I'm an eyecandy fascist, so a pixel-fest like DOOM/DOOM II doesn't appeal really; I know that's tantamount to heresy around here, but there ya go.

That's understandable since you never experienced Doom when it was new - we can't expect people like you to like the old Doom.
As long as you don't post shit like: "Doom is sooo old, I don't understand why you guys like that primitive shit" - if you did that, you'll soon have a bunch of blood thirsty Doomers at your heels (me included).

But I respect your preference for newer, better looking stuff (actually, I'm like that too, but Doom was the top of eyecandy when it was new and in a way, I still see it like that, plus it has first class gameplay - much better than any of the Quakes imho).

I don't mind that "lost soul" concept now that I know that the "old" lost souls are in the game (saw them in the video) - the one in the sketch is likely a new enemy taking over the role of the old lost souls (floating head, which launches itself at the player) and that is something I find really cool as that head looks great imo (thank you id for not making it the new lost soul with a rocket engine) :-)))

And the big critter with the mechanical legs IS the pinky (Carmack's own words!) and the old cyberdemon was acceptable because it seemed like the demons stole human tech to create cyborg demons - this cyborg pinky is harder to accept for us old-school doomers because we are used to seeing the pinky as a 100% organic monster.

Actually I remember a PC-savvy friend of mine raving about DOOM when it came out, he'd been playing it networked at the University here in Aberystwyth, but at the time I wasn't all that aware of PC stuff at all ( hell I don't know shit now! )...when I got my first PC at the start of '00, I got some PC gaming mags to see what was hot and what was not, and Q3 was the game they were all raving about, so I got it and was hooked. I liked Unreal Tournament a lot too, but in the end it was Q3's superior physics/feel that won the day.

I hate it when people get all "Oh that's shit because it says Unreal on the box, I know even though I haven't played it" or whatever, I have very little tolerance for intolerance :-).

RRROOOAAARRR said:

Plus I'm an eyecandy fascist, so a pixel-fest like DOOM/DOOM II doesn't appeal really; I know that's tantamount to heresy around here, but there ya go.

I would tell you to try JDoom or something but the game still looks shit compared to, say, Doom 3. The only thing I can say is you AT LEAST should play the Doom shareware to maybe get a taste of made us all, myself included, cream our jeans back in 1993/1994.

Heh, I'm so bad about this that I even have trouble accepting Quake 1...I have trouble suspending my disbelief when I'm supposed to be being scared by the Pixel Creature With No Vowels In Its name...:-)...

The graphics you get when you play JDOOM are nice but look kinda artificial. The DOOM graphics sort of don't fit with filthered rendering (especially not the sprites).

QlQuake is however awesome.

RRROOOAAARRR said:

Well I'm arachnophobic, so I guess I'll just have to hope there's a "clean underpants" pickup in the game near there...:-)...

so am I...I never thought the arach or mastermind were creepy in any way, tho...

The arachnotron and SM aren't as creepy as REAL spiders - real spiders are all hairy and give the impression of being directly disgusting.
The Doom spideys are both just mechanical legs and a smelly brain - no, that's not scary ;-)

dsm said:

The arachnotron and SM aren't as creepy as REAL spiders - real spiders are all hairy and give the impression of being directly disgusting.
The Doom spideys are both just mechanical legs and a smelly brain - no, that's not scary ;-)

The scary part of them is the sound.

Afaik, the sound has little to do with arachnophobia - people with arachnophobia are afraid of the SIGHT of spiders, and most real spiders don't make much of a sound.
I may not be directly arachnophobic (frankly, I don't know), but I don't like spiders - it's not that I run away screaming if I see a wee tiny li'l spidey, but I feel disgust when I see one of those fairly big, hairy spiders with a cross on their bodies (if it's one of the really big ones).

Anyway, I agree on the Spideys' sounds being scary - I distinctly remember the shock I got when I first heard the Spider Mastermind's horrible whine ("UUHHRRIIIIIIIIIIIIHHHHHRRRRR!"), but I was surprised how damn easy it was to defeat - just whip out your trusty BFG, zap him and don't mind that he shoots at you.

I feel just like dsm when it comes to spiders.

It's worse with maggot/grub/worm/centipede kind of creeps here though. I run if I see one :)

I love spiders :) I had a tarantula once ( had it almost 3 years ) and it was so cute and hairy. i usually picked it up and let it walk all over me :) But i hate wasps and their cousins

Ultimate Demon said:

I love spiders :) I had a tarantula once ( had it almost 3 years ) and it was so cute and hairy. i usually picked it up and let it walk all over me :) But i hate wasps and their cousins

A spider...cute?`

damn.

Spiders rock. I keep a few of them over my bed. Their webs trap those annoying mosquitos.

Some spiders are cute. Those of medium size that are not hairy and are locked up behind glass and concrete walls.

Ultimate Demon said:

This just goes to prove how immensely different people are emotionally.
Hell, I could never for the life of me understand why some girls are scared to death of mice :-)
Yeah, I hate wasps too, one of these small bastards stung me when I was about five years old and for no reason at all (I was just running about in the garden when that cowardly bastard stung me on the back of my neck - damn it hurt!) - that's why I enjoy killing them.

However, I'm not in the least afraid of tame snakes - snakes are really cute.

Shaviro said:

How do you guys like the new IMP?

I made a poll about that in the polls forum.
Anyway, I think it rocks, no, it's PERFECT!

Shaviro said:

We better get back on topic. How do you guys like the new IMP?

I cannot really accept the current new concept of the Imp right now, as far as I have only seen it from the screenshot. It might be a lot more wonderful than I could ever expect in the footage, however, from what I'm seeing right now, green skin, no spikes/horn, face is way too dark to be seen. I might later change my aspect to the new Imp until I see the video. I'm getting DSL very soon.

about the last monster that ate the player in video,i wonder how tough it will be,and how to deal with it.minigun maybe the good counter weapon.i think it would be cool,if id make the monster can grab the player alive,and the player maybe able to shoot the monster before it eat him.

I think whoever was playing blatantly jumped down there to finish off the demo. It doesn't look like it was supposed to keep progressing that way. I'm more than sure it's the same one as the beginning, who kept patroling the place. In fact, that place could very well be the passage where you see him for the first time.

The pistol wasn't powerful enough to even annoy him. It did not react to gunfire.

The pistol wasn't powerful enough to even annoy him. It did not react to gunfire.

i really love how hopeless that scene looks.
/evil smile

Dark-tenshi said:

i really love how hopeless that scene looks.
/evil smile

Same here >:E

Zaldron said:

That probably means that it has a high pain tolerance, but it might only be about as tough as the cacodemon (still tough, but not on par with the BoH).
Damn, I'm looking forward to give that freak some payback with my trusty shotgun when the game's out >:-]