Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dima

So guys, do you think my pc will handle it? :)))

Fredrik said:

Of course it is, it consumes less electricity.
*ATM* yeah, wait for the HammerClaw....

Nope. Actually the AMD Athlon 1.5 ghz consumes more electricity than the Intel Pentium IV 2.2 ghz.

Wait for the clawhammer? heh Wait for the Prescott.

Actually the AMD Athlon 1.5 ghz consumes more electricity than the Intel Pentium IV 2.2 ghz.

Which indicates that it's more powerful.

You guys went a bit offtopic but nevermind about that :)

While I do prefer Intel processors and would probably never buy an AMD processor, I can safely say that AMD processors are certainly better in some aspects than Intel processors.

It's a well proven fact that AMD processors working on the same frequency as Intel processors scream better results than the Intel ones (they can even perform better on lower frequencies than the Intel processors on higher frequencies!!)

Anyone who doesn't belive me can go and look for himself on any site dealing with hardware :)

Dima said:

You guys went a bit offtopic but nevermind about that :)

While I do prefer Intel processors and would probably never buy an AMD processor, I can safely say that AMD processors are certainly better in some aspects than Intel processors.

It's a well proven fact that AMD processors working on the same frequency as Intel processors scream better results than the Intel ones (they can even perform better on lower frequencies than the Intel processors on higher frequencies!!)

Anyone who doesn't belive me can go and look for himself on any site dealing with hardware :)

Like i said earlier: frequency is not everything in a processor. AMD uses shorter pipelines which makes the job done faster per clock cycle than Intels longer pipelines.

Shorter pipelines result in more heat and more electricity usage. Please stop comparing the processors in frequency as it has no real value.

Fredrik: You really ought not to start discussing something you don't know anything about. Please get some facts.

[rant]I will not discuss this subject any longer as it's off topic and only results in a flamewar between lamers from each sides without facts. I think both AMD and Intel make good, fast processors. Anyone who doesn't think so must check up with the facts. They are simply wrong[/rant]

The AMD Sledgehammer and the weaker Clawhammer will be out this fall, and are "supposed" to be starting at 3 ghz, with twice the transistors of the p4 chips. Check on Yahoo for it, it's also supposed to have a 550 mhz frontside bus as well. I read a preview on it and it looks really cool. Keep in mind that if a p4 2ghz could run doom 3 at a decent speed like it did at E3, then I'm sure a chip with a 1000mhz more will be able to handle the task, plus the next gen cards that will be out by then. Basically, all the next gen stuff is supposed to be released this fall/winter correct? So by the time the game rolls around in the spring, the prices of the cards and processors will have dropped decently.

Fredrik: You really ought not to start discussing something you don't know anything about. Please get some facts.

I know for one fact that AMD's processors are more powerful than Intel's, and also orders of magnitude cheaper. What else is there you need to know except the fake stats Intel provide in their ads?

So by the time the game rolls around in the spring, the prices of the cards and processors will have dropped decently.

hmm.. Okey then, I am going to save my money to buy a nice gaming rig, to play DOOM III and all those nice future FPS games
maby a nice 24" monitor to go with my powerfull rig :D

Fredrik said:

I know for one fact that AMD's processors are more powerful than Intel's, and also orders of magnitude cheaper. What else is there you need to know except the fake stats Intel provide in their ads?

I agree with Fredrik.

Maonth: I know everything needed to know about processors, frequency is important trust me, though it is not as important as I made it out to be, sorry about that...

Both AMD and INTEL processors are good, you're right, though it's obvious that AMD processors are better than Intel ones and like I said in my previous reply, that's a fact proven billion times on all sites dealing with hardware, etc...

Intel should though get credit where it deserves, their only real weapon against AMD - frequency, yes Maonth, the one thing you make it sound so unimportant :))

If it wasn't for the simple fact that Intel are always ahead of AMD in terms of frequencies, AMD would have had a bigger part of the market a long time ago :)

Now I think someone should close this topic before it becomes something unpleasant :)

/me calling FlatHead to the rescue! :)

Fredrik said:

You compare the 2.5ghz P4 with the 1.7ghz AMD. You could as well compare a 300mhz Pentium with a 1400mhz Athlon.

ROLF

Fredrik said:

You compare the 2.5ghz P4 with the 1.7ghz AMD. You could as well compare a 300mhz Pentium with a 1400mhz Athlon.

geez. Here we go again.

1) When you compare CPU to CPU you compare the flagships. So you are suggesting we should compare them to the same frequency? No. Like i said. AMD uses shorter pipelines. It would not be fair to compare a P4 1700 to an AXP 1700.

2) Go check with anandtech.com http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1615

And the P4 lead in all tests.

Now would you like an interesting fact? For the price of the 2.5ghz P4, you can get two AMD Athlon 2100+:s, both at 95% the performance of the P4, build a dual system and get a computer that's at least 50% more powerful. Cool, huh? Now this is the vital reason why AMD owns Intel completely. It's not interesting to compare two objects of completely different price classes as if they would be equal. If you want the *fastest* computer, you can get one at 1000x the speed of the P4 from Cray as well.

Fredrik said:

Now would you like an interesting fact? For the price of the 2.5ghz P4, you can get two AMD Athlon 2100+:s, both at 95% the performance of the P4, build a dual system and get a computer that's at least 50% more powerful. Cool, huh? Now this is the vital reason why AMD owns Intel completely. It's not interesting to compare two objects of completely different price classes as if they would be equal. If you want the *fastest* computer, you can get one at 1000x the speed of the P4 from Cray as well.

Price has no infuence in the quality of the processor. Yes AMD has the advantage in bang for the buck, but Intel has the fastest processor. Hurray. We finally agree?

Shaviro said:

Price has no infuence in the quality of the processor. Yes AMD has the advantage in bang for the buck, but Intel has the fastest processor. Hurray. We finally agree?

Following your logic, I am surprised that you haven't mentioned IBM as the world's best manufacturer of processors.

Fredrik said:

Following your logic, I am surprised that you haven't mentioned IBM as the world's best manufacturer of processors.

I am not talking about the 'professional processors'

Shaviro said:

I am not talking about the 'professional processors'

AMD/Athlon are professional processors. Apparently, you think Intel's processors are not? A-ha. Point proved.

Fredrik said:

AMD/Athlon are professional processors. Apparently, you think Intel's processors are not? A-ha. Point proved.

You should go back to kindergarden. You know what i mean.

Shaviro said:

You should go back to kindergarden. You know what i mean.

You should learn the fact that AMD is superior to Intel. Everybody around here can confirm it for you, you're the one who won't listen.

Fredrik said:

You should learn the fact that AMD is superior to Intel. Everybody around here can confirm it for you, you're the one who won't listen.

They can confirm all they want. The tests prove different.

Shaviro said:

They can confirm all they want. The tests prove different.

Uh I've seen at least 10 tests that show AMD processors to be superior to Intel's. Sorry that I'm too lazy to hunt for an URL, but anyone else can confirm this too.

Fredrik said:

Uh I've seen at least 10 tests that show AMD processors to be superior to Intel's. Sorry that I'm too lazy to hunt for an URL, but anyone else can confirm this too.

The latest tests (Intel P4 2533 vs AMD AXP 2100+) prove Intel to have the fastest processor ATM. Face the facts. I am not ashamed to say so when AMD is in the lead.

Shaviro said:

I am not ashamed to say so when AMD is in the lead.

Oh I've heard different things from you previously, mister fanboy.

Fredrik said:

Oh I've heard different things from you previously, mister fanboy.

You heard wrong, then. I am an Intel user, not an Intel Fanboy. I see things with an open mind, not like other persons...

I hereby pronounce that the person who gets the last post of us two is retarded.