Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DASI-I

Doom 4 should have...

Touchdown said:

Well, Carmack confirmed Oculus Rift support for DOOM 4.

What you see in the video is not part of the official Oculus Rift experience. However this is very well known on the Meant to be Seen community on which Carmack also posts and is owned by the CEO of the company.

I might be in minority but I'm not desperate to have all classic enemies in DOOM 4. I'm interested in what new demons will stand in our way.

What "Doom 4" needs, above all else, is diversity. "Doom 3" has these achingly repetitive environments and only a glimpse of hell. I want enemies that look very different form one another, weapons that have very different levels of effectiveness, maps that are very distinctive, etc. id owes it to the fans and to gamers in general.

Touchdown said:

I might be in minority but I'm not desperate to have all classic enemies in DOOM 4. I'm interested in what new demons will stand in our way.

Personally I wasn't particularly fond of the new enemies in Doom 3 and RoE. The bosses stank, the trites and ticks posed no challenge, the forgotten soul was redundant in light of there already being a lost soul, and tactically the vulgar and bruiser were only subtle variations of the imp and hellknight/mancubus respectively (though do I love the visual design of the bruiser).

Unless Id have the inspiration to do something interesting with any new creatures in Doom 4, I'd rather they play it safe and stick to the Doom/Doom 2 monster roster.

DoomUK said:

Personally I wasn't particularly fond of the new enemies in Doom 3 and RoE. The bosses stank, the trites and ticks posed no challenge, the forgotten soul was redundant in light of there already being a lost soul, and tactically the vulgar and bruiser were only subtle variations of the imp and hellknight/mancubus respectively (though do I love the visual design of the bruiser).

Unless Id have the inspiration to do something interesting with any new creatures in Doom 4, I'd rather they play it safe and stick to the Doom/Doom 2 monster roster.

The Imp, Hellknight, Archvile, Revenant and Pinky were awesome but yeah, they have to do better this time.

Original monsters are "classic" so to overly hardcore fans they can never be replaced or topped. Whether new D3 monsters were good or not is irrelevant. I'm still all for something new.

I'm more in favour of maintaining each monster's role, gameplay-wise. It doesn't matter what they look like - although they should match the general aesthetics of the rest of the game. In Doom, Pinkies are great for inciting panic in the player (Doom 3 did this decently, and was probably my favourite monster redesign followed by the imp).

Ideally, I would like the monster numbers to reach what we saw in Doom 2, so I'm all in favour of simple designs. If Doom 4 is supposed to be action-focused as opposed to Doom 3's horror-focus, then I hope this is a priority for the designers. Honestly, I wouldn't mind another horror-focused Doom game, but apparently that isn't what id Software is going for, so they may as well go all the way.

I think what's REALLY kept the original Doom games alive all these years is the user created content. As such, I think that they need to focus on the providing the most mod-friendly single-player experience possible for Doom 4, while focussing all their multi player skills into Quake 5.
After all, nearly everything I'd like out of Doom 4 goes for Quake 5 (Fatalities, stealth kills, alternate weapon fires, etc) but I realize that they need to take the series in separate directions to avoid feeling redundant (which I believe was Quake 4's problem), and I think that a highly modifiable package, and another free-to-play experience would be the perfect dichotomy.

Edit: And yes, I do apologize for posting that one outside the thread :P

If they do that, it should serve more purpose than an indicator of your health or the general direction of a projectile. But I like the idea of bringing it back!

Touchdown said:

I'm with you. If I wanted a complete remake of Doom I'd play one of the ten million remake WAD's out there.

Agentbromsnor said:

NO.

Yes and no. On one hand some of the fatalities are way too over the top but on the other hand Doom 4 needs better gore than the pitiful monster deaths in Doom 3. I am completely against fatalities made by the player BUT first person monster fatalities (like the Baron in the alpha), would be SPECTACULAR with an Oculus Rift

I think pretty much everyone wants substantially more gore than was in "Doom 3." Twitchy rag doll deaths aren't particularly satisfying. Hell, I don't even see blood dripping when an enemy gets hit, something the ORIGINAL "Doom" had. And don't get me started on those ridiculous gibs, which only effected the humans.

GoatLord said:

Twitchy rag doll deaths aren't particularly satisfying.

I was always more fond of the death animations in the alpha, even if they were rather prosaic in comparison to classic Doom's glorious sprite animations. The way the zombies stood up a few moments after dropping them, Quake style, was also a very nice touch.

And yes, Doom 3's gibbing looked incredibly stupid. Especially as it was achievable with any weapon.

GoatLord said:

And don't get me started on those ridiculous gibs, which only effected the humans.

Hit zombie with torch. Brain falls out.

I've just watched this trailer of Battlefield 4.
http://youtu.be/j59W7vClDnQ
Doom 4 will have a hard time trying to beat that graphics and animation.
I've been posting about destructible environments before. This video shows what I have in mind. I don't care if mass destruction events are scripted or not as long as they are massive (i.e. cool) and look realistic. Gigantic mutant from Dead City in Rage was epic but the scene of it breaking off chunks of building looked unrealistic).
So for me massive destruction and massive waves of enemies please! :]

Graphically that's the best thing I've seen so far. And I'm sorry, but DOOM 4 will not be better than that, probably it won't even reach that graphical level.

I've personally wanted to see destructible environments in "Doom" since I was a kid. I think there ought to be at least some destructibility; id can't get away, at this point, with only having the barrels blow up.

macsmol said:

I've just watched this trailer of Battlefield 4.
http://youtu.be/j59W7vClDnQ
Doom 4 will have a hard time trying to beat that graphics and animation.
I've been posting about destructible environments before. This video shows what I have in mind. I don't care if mass destruction events are scripted or not as long as they are massive (i.e. cool) and look realistic. Gigantic mutant from Dead City in Rage was epic but the scene of it breaking off chunks of building looked unrealistic).
So for me massive destruction and massive waves of enemies please! :]

All this neat technology, and what do companies create with it? Realistic simulator games... *sigh*, I will never get that.

On the topic of music, I just found the soundtrack to Club Doom for PSX on YouTube. I know alot of people relate heavy metal music to Doom, but how about listening to this while mowing down monsters? :P http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtH-L5CZFA0

Touchdown said:

Graphically that's the best thing I've seen so far. And I'm sorry, but DOOM 4 will not be better than that, probably it won't even reach that graphical level.

A lot of it comes down to what they do with id Tech 5, really. Game engines can be improved and expanded with each iteration, and with the next gen consoles right around the corner, anything is possible.

EDIT: as an example, the engine used for the COD series was originally based off id Tech 3, but has undergone numerous improvements with each iteration. Of course, we won't see as big of an incremental improvement as what you see between Quake 3 Arena and Black Ops II between Rage and Doom 4, but it's the same concept.

In any case, I'd love to see someone use an engine like Frostbite 4 or CryEngine 3 to create a game with a unique artistic style, rather than ones that just replicate real world settings. The Dead Space games, for instance, have an amazing level of artistic integrity and stylistic design choices. They already look great, but imagine them on either of the two engines I mentioned above.

Agentbromsnor said:

All this neat technology, and what do companies create with it? Realistic simulator games... *sigh*, I will never get that.

Battlefield is not a "Realistic simulator" It is a multiplayer focused Modern military shooter. That's like calling Ace Combat a Flight Simulator.

The question I think you're asking is "Why is all this technology being used for what is basically a CoD clone?" and the answer is that they are the only kind of games that sell well enough justify the ridiculous amounts of money it takes to make games look like that.

I miss the days when the most technically impressive games looked like they were fun to play, and gave the impression that more than 2 minutes was spent on their conceptualisation.

Boss: What will make us a shitload of money this year?
Drones: A MMS, replete with scripted "cinematic" sequences and no attempt to stray from the stale MMS formula which has been reproduced countless times already. We'll throw a shiny new engine at it, while making no attempt to do anything artistically interesting with the technology at our disposal.
Boss: Make it happen.

Agentbromsnor said:

On the topic of music, I just found the soundtrack to Club Doom for PSX on YouTube. I know alot of people relate heavy metal music to Doom, but how about listening to this while mowing down monsters? :P http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtH-L5CZFA0

From a graphical fidelity standpoint, Doom 4 is going to have heavy competition. Those have got to be some of the most realistic graphics I've ever seen, and the animation quality is simply amazing. That said, Id Software is very good at establishing a very good art style but even that will have to compete with Bioshock Infinite. It's going to be very hard to beat New Columbia.

I'm very interested in which generation DOOM 4 will be. It all depends on that, really. For instance it all changes if now with PS4 coming and new Xbox not far behind, id decides to turn it all up to utilize the additional power. If they do, we might have something really good looking. Unfortunately it's even more probable that they will primarily stick to the current gen. It also depends on whether Tech 5 scales up as well as they've been saying. And if it does end up being a cross-generational game, will it be massively upgraded on new consoles? Or just simple touches? It's now less of a question of how much benefit 30fps gives compared to 60, and more of how id adapts to the new generation coming. If at all. They might just save it all for the next project.

DooM_RO said:

From a graphical fidelity standpoint, Doom 4 is going to have heavy competition. Those have got to be some of the most realistic graphics I've ever seen, and the animation quality is simply amazing. That said, Id Software is very good at establishing a very good art style but even that will have to compete with Bioshock Infinite. It's going to be very hard to beat New Columbia.

No replies to my music suggestion yet though. :P

I've read up on the specs for PS4. By the time it arrives in December, it will have been nearly two years behind PC hardware. It won't be much of a problem making it cross-platform, I imagine. Or maybe it will be, if it's really that far behind.