Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DASI-I

Doom 4 should have...

And while you're at it, thrown in some Slipknot! Nothing like loud, ear shattering metal to deafen you as you plasma your way through demons in the base.

Piper Maru said:

And while you're at it, thrown in some Slipknot! Nothing like loud, ear shattering metal to deafen you as you plasma your way through demons in the base.

God knows we don't want this game to get atmospheric!

Agentbromsnor said:

God knows we don't want this game to get atmospheric!

Of course not! Why would you want to immerse yourself into the game right? Not only do we need to hear the sound of growling demons, we also need to hear the growling of metal vocalists. RRRRRIIIPPP ANDDDD TEEEEARRRR OOOOOOH YEAHHHHHH!

Piper Maru said:

Of course not! Why would you want to immerse yourself into the game right? Not only do we need to hear the sound of growling demons, we also need to hear the growling of metal vocalists. RRRRRIIIPPP ANDDDD TEEEEARRRR OOOOOOH YEAHHHHHH!

This is sarcasm right? I hope it is.

Played through Half Life 2 again. I don't want a story. I really really don't want a story. Everyone loves the characters, but replaying the game for the Xth' time, just sitting through speeches because their not cut scenes. I just wanted to keep playing.

I believe Doom 64 is the real Doom 3. :P

PSX Doom was just a combining of the first two games with changes.

Piper Maru said:

Doom 4 has to be EXACTLY the same as Doom and Doom 2! Oh and Metallica has to do the soundtrack lololol. Anything else is simply unacceptable.

Oh God, not Metallica.

I wouldn't care if Doom 64 was a ripped, pirated, unauthorized, unrecognized fan-port, it's still more thematically consistent than any of the other Dooms. A lot of this may be related to the new lighting, sound, and music, though.

Anyway, I love Doom 1 & 2, but I'm beginning to lose faith in the possibility of porting that kind of gameplay into the modern era.

NIИ music could probably do well in Doom 4, otherwise ambient music by Aubrey Hodges would be best.

Nine Inch Nails (Homer Simpson's voice)?! I think that would be just as disastrous as using any other licensed artist with drums and vocals. Those two elements just don't fit in a lot of modern FPSs, it's distracting. I dunno. I'm kind of torn on the issue. I'm a huge metal fan and I have played Doom with thrash and death metal tracks blaring many a time, and it worked perfectly. But when I try to imagine a newschool Doom with similar music, it clashes. Whatever id goes with, it really ought not to have vocals and drums, except perhaps in a few key parts. Even then, vocals probably won't work.

Agentbromsnor said:

For the same reason people don't like the 3D remakes of Doom 1 and 2. People have tried remaking Doom's run and gun gameplay for years, and while some were decent, they mostly were insignificant and more importantly, not a big success in the market.

I still think run'n gun is still fun just so long as the game has more to offer than just it's core gameplay.

id learned from a lot of the mistakes they made with Doom 3 and introduced new problems with Rage, which will probably be addressed with Doom 4. Does that mean Doom 4 will have gameplay issues? Possibly, if not likely. But it doesn't mean it can't be a memorable and fun experience. They scrapped the COD version of the game and they're taking their sweet time delivering what we (apparently) want to see. I believe wholeheartedly that it's possible for a modern 3D Doom game to be awesome without being a near-carbon copy of the originals.

And Pain (in the ass) Elementals that can be resurrected by an Archvile and spew Lost Souls that explode on impact and blind you.

mrthejoshmon said:

I reckon Doom 4 should have at least one thing:
Revenants... or Arahcnotrons, your pick.

Why not both?

MFG38 said:

Why not both?

Arachnatrons have too many moving parts. If anything they might be reduced to 4 legs. Also if iD employs Rage (Quake 2) injured AI, it might be interesting to see Arachnatrons trying to cope with 2 damaged legs.

Another interesting thing is the AI. Rage and Quake have soldiers limping away. Would an imp give a damn if its leg was hurt? Would the zombie soldiers?

GoatLord said:

Nine Inch Nails (Homer Simpson's voice)?! I think that would be just as disastrous as using any other licensed artist with drums and vocals.

Drums and vocals? Did you ever play the first Quake, or Doom 64? Sounds great to me, and it doesn't have drums or vocals.

I'm still kinda wondering what tracks Trent Reznor was working on before he quit on Doom 3.

Even then, vocals probably won't work.

Depends on the vocals, and how you define vocals. Breath of Horror from PSXDoom had vocals, despite being heavily distorted into a demonic howl.
Without special effects, choirs can have a pretty nice effect.
Take this remix of Message for the Archvile, for example. The ending in particular.

geo said:

Arachnatrons have too many moving parts. If anything they might be reduced to 4 legs.

What does that (moving parts) have to do with anything? And how exactly having 4 legs would be a reduction considering Arachnotrons already have 4 legs?

Agentbromsnor said:

Drums and vocals? Did you ever play the first Quake, or Doom 64? Sounds great to me, and it doesn't have drums or vocals.

I'm still kinda wondering what tracks Trent Reznor was working on before he quit on Doom 3.

Doom 64 isn't Trent but the original Quake is, and I agree, it's a great soundtrack. So if he took an approach like that it'd be cool.

Touchdown said:

What does that (moving parts) have to do with anything? And how exactly having 4 legs would be a reduction considering Arachnotrons already have 4 legs?

Woops. I guess I was thinking of Doom 64 Arachnotrons. My bad. Moving parts because it would just look funky seeing that many legs on uneven terrain. Having to animate it. But I guess they can just keep them on flat surfaces.

GoatLord said:

Doom 64 isn't Trent but the original Quake is, and I agree, it's a great soundtrack. So if he took an approach like that it'd be cool.

I know Doom 64 wasn't scored by Trent, but I named it because it has a similar ambient soundtrack to Quake 1.

I think one of the great qualities of ID Software is to create a unique game experience. Whether you like some of the games or not, they are mostly unique (not counting all the classic Doom expansions and such). I think this approach should be encouraged, not just the recycling of old material.

id definitely makes unique games, or at least they did. The sense of immersion, the atmosphere and the aesthetics of Wolfenstein, Doom and Quake are very distinct and unforgettable.

geo said:

Moving parts because it would just look funky seeing that many legs on uneven terrain. Having to animate it. But I guess they can just keep them on flat surfaces.

A technique for that is years old. DOOM 3 used (I think) Inverse Kinematics for placing feet on a ground, so that characters, including spider-like Sentry Bots would not hang above stairs locked in their 'box' but instead 'touch' specific steps in a believable way.

I think that the berserk pack should return but with new ability's like lifting objects and throwing them or allowing the player to run faster.
Also I think that the unmaker should return.

It should include

*The palsma rifle
*The Freds (credit to Clonehunter for this one)
*More ripping and tearing
*Soundtrack by Limp Bizkit. Or Waking the Cadaver
*At least one illusio-pit
*Realm667 monsters
*SP_HOT. Everywhere
*The bad guys should be the Russians. Not enough video games use Russians as the bad guys
*Impse

Doominator2 said:

I think that the berserk pack should return but with new ability's like lifting objects and throwing them or allowing the player to run faster.
Also I think that the unmaker should return.

I think this is a fantastic idea. It could be a good way to allow the player to temporarily run inhumanly fast, like in the original game, while normally just running at a decent pace (hopefully faster than Doom 3). I also love the idea of hurling objects, that would be a fun physical element.