Doom 4 should have...

Waffenak said:

Damn fine way to introduce new enemy class, wasted potential

Indeed, it would make their introduction of just literally being stood there in a corridor (Which is indeed a complete shock for the first time, you have never seen them before then suddenly a snarling monitor mouth is chasing you down with Mancubus weapons) pale in comparison to the (Hopefully ingame) shock you would get from your terminal blinking at you and then hunting you down.

I wish they did a better job on the Vulgar appearance though.

Share this post


Link to post
mrthejoshmon said:

I wish they did a better job on the Vulgar appearance though.


Are you kidding? The Vulgars look way more demonic than Imps & Co. with their spikes and whatnot. I don't see any space for improvement on that.

Share this post


Link to post
MFG38 said:

Are you kidding? The Vulgars look way more demonic than Imps & Co. with their spikes and whatnot. I don't see any space for improvement on that.

Except the Vulgurs look some what similar to some of the other new monster presented in the vanilla version of Doom 3 such as the Maggot and the Wraith.

Share this post


Link to post
Marnetmar said:

No it wasn't. Not ideal=/=Entire game is shit


I'll give you this. Doom 3 had sick atmosphere. I actually did feel like I was on a base on Mars. However, everything else was pretty mediocre, especially the combat.

Share this post


Link to post
MFG38 said:

Are you kidding? The Vulgars look way more demonic than Imps & Co. with their spikes and whatnot. I don't see any space for improvement on that.

I meant appearance as in how they were introduced into the game, that was executed quite bad.

Share this post


Link to post
mrthejoshmon said:

I meant appearance as in how they were introduced into the game, that was executed quite bad.


Oh, okay. My bad.

Share this post


Link to post
doom_is_great said:

I'll give you this. Doom 3 had sick atmosphere. I actually did feel like I was on a base on Mars. However, everything else was pretty mediocre, especially the combat.


You pretty much summed up how I feel about Doom 3. I've rarely played games that felt so believable in terms of their location. This was especially apparent in the infrequent outdoors scenes, which were a tragically small portion of the game, but probably for the best, as they weren't a whole lot of fun.

Share this post


Link to post

I still play Doom 3 (I actually found a badass marine companion mod that allows for friendlies in the game) The only problem is I just seem to know exactly ever monster ambush there is, even in ROE and The Lost Mission...

But then again I know all the "classic" Doom's off by heart... I am wasting my life :P

Share this post


Link to post

On topic, I don't want DOOM 4 to feel like a 4:3 Carbon Copy of the originals. It should have the same spirit, but in my opinion it should be the DOOM 3 that we never actually got. Maybe a sequel to DOOM 2 properly or a sequel to DOOM 64. I want to see blood and gore, bones shattering, realistic physics, and in terms of music perferablly a mixture of heavy metal and ambiance. Death Angel - The Dream Calls for Blood, the album itself has some songs that I think would fit in a new DOOM game (the instrumental, not the vocals (unless you want to hear a dude that sounds like Tom Araya)).

1/2 of the game should be in Hell.

Share this post


Link to post
GoatLord said:

You pretty much summed up how I feel about Doom 3. I've rarely played games that felt so believable in terms of their location. This was especially apparent in the infrequent outdoors scenes, which were a tragically small portion of the game, but probably for the best, as they weren't a whole lot of fun.


Yeah, Doom 3 had the greatest atmosphere of any game I've ever played. The ambiance, the sound of machinery moving, the occasional hiss of the pipes, the structure of the levels and the base and the materials from which it was made, etc. all made me feel like I was on a base on Mars. If id had made the combat the way it should have been with loud guns, loud explosions, lots of blood and gore, and also taken some risks and come up with some creative gameplay ideas, Doom 3 could have been an amazing game. There is so much they could have done with Doom 3 but failed to do so.

Share this post


Link to post

I think the engine really held id back, too. Hell, I know it did. The largest environments in Doom 3 are about the size of a backyard. There was just no way for 2004 hardware to handle maps that were as spacious as many of the original Doom/Doom2 levels with the idtech4 engine. But you're right, there were a lot of risks simply not being taken, that should have been. I'm still a little astonished that the most iconic weapon in the franchise--the fucking shotgun--was so weak and useless in Doom 3. It was good for crowning imps and that's about it.

Share this post


Link to post

I hope that it will return to a simpler time of not asking questions such as "How can a marine carry 10 different guns, body armour and a teeny flashlight?" and all of the original DOOM and DOOMII demons and monsters, plus the extra ones added in DOOM3, for a fully fleshed out, boomstick approved kill-a-thon.

Share this post


Link to post
mrthejoshmon said:

I actually found a badass marine companion mod that allows for friendlies in the game

One thing I hate about modern games and for the love of the holy mother of ass dont want in Doom 4 is a companion. The concept can either go 2 ways: The companion is completely useless, or the companion is someone who practically dose the whole game for you while you sit back and watch.

Share this post


Link to post

I hope they get weapons sounds right this time, Doom 3 shotgun sounded like someone banging steel sheet, it just sounded bad and weak. I want deafening shotgun blast in corridors and shockwaves sended by exploding rockets

Share this post


Link to post
Waffenak said:

I hope they get weapons sounds right this time, Doom 3 shotgun sounded like someone banging steel sheet, it just sounded bad and weak. I want deafening shotgun blast in corridors and shockwaves sended by exploding rockets

And the pistol sounded like a nasty fart, it sort of ruins the atmosphere a bit when you think of it that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Doominator2 said:

And the pistol sounded like a nasty fart, it sort of ruins the atmosphere a bit when you think of it that way.


Farts always ruin the atmosphere unless you farted around others then its okay

Share this post


Link to post
TendaMonsta said:

A Badass Fast paced Arena DeathMatch mode.


A la Quake III Arena? Because if yes, I'm all for it.

Share this post


Link to post

a new power up that shift you health/ammo and viceversa

for example if your have 100 life and 1 shotgun, your life will be 1 and shotgun 100, shift all your life minus 1 to the current weapon

two version of this, one for shifting life to weapon and one for the opposite

Share this post


Link to post
Amph said:

a new power up that shift you health/ammo and viceversa

for example if your have 100 life and 1 shotgun, your life will be 1 and shotgun 100, shit all your life minus 1 to the current weapon

two version of this, one for shifting life to weapon and one for the opposite

sounds like more of a "screw-you" than a power-up to me.

Share this post


Link to post

The berserk pack can be capable of dual wielding huge weapons like, DOUBLE BFG!,DOUBLE ROCKET LAUNCHER!,DOUBLE CHAINGUN!

Share this post


Link to post

I hope the berserk pack grants you the power to bear hug your enemies.

Share this post


Link to post
Doominator2 said:

The berserk pack can be capable of dual wielding huge weapons like, DOUBLE BFG!,DOUBLE ROCKET LAUNCHER!,DOUBLE CHAINGUN!


For some reason, I don't think dual wielding would work in Doom, except for the shotguns.

Share this post


Link to post

Dual chainguns would work also if they're stylized as the smaller handheld kind.

Share this post


Link to post
Avoozl said:

Dual chainguns would work also if they're stylized as the smaller handheld kind.

The chainguns do have handles.

Share this post


Link to post
DooM_RO said:

For some reason, I don't think dual wielding would work in Doom, except for the shotguns.

The shotguns especially wouldn't work for dual-wielding. How would you pump the single-barreled shotguns, or break open the double-barreled shotguns, with only one hand?

And that would basically be the "guns akimbo" power-up from Blood. Too bad that game never got the sequel/update it deserved.

Share this post


Link to post
Megamur said:

The shotguns especially wouldn't work for dual-wielding. How would you pump the single-barreled shotguns, or break open the double-barreled shotguns, with only one hand?

Just dip the guns below the screen, its been done in practically every FPS that had Dual Wielding.

Share this post


Link to post

Somebody should release a mod that brings Terminator 2 "spin-cock" style shotguns into play. Example of what I mean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwGBR9Sdtzg

Warning: I was unable to find the Terminator 2 scene on Youtube, so the above example leads to an extremely shit CoD video. Proceed with caution.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now