Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alphawolf

Will Doom 4 be as editable as Classic Doom?

AirRaid said:

Build times are awful in Source mostly because you have to precompile all (or most of) all the lighting data which takes aaaaages. Doom3 at least has the edge there, since there's no radiostity calculations at compile, so at the very most it takes like 10 mins for a full compile of a map. And I believe there are several "shortcut" options for just testing your map out.

Well, my shortcut was not compiling the lighting at all, which doesn't exactly help when you are trying to see what the map is going to look like.

@printz: agreed, but still as maps get more and more complex, it just seems like it will take more resources and better hardware

BTW: The only 3D mapping I tried was in Source. Anyone know if other games have quicker build times or different optimization methods?

I doubt I'd be able to make my first Doom 4 map in 3 days, learning everything from scratch.

So no, it won't be as easily editable. The theoretical editability depends on the quality of the tools they provide though.

julz_d said:

BTW: The only 3D mapping I tried was in Source. Anyone know if other games have quicker build times or different optimization methods?

I found UT2k4 to be pretty quick to edit for and pick up a couple of years ago. I was doing it for a Games Design module for my degree though, and probably got some help getting started.

Cube 2 is pretty easy to edit, but it's also limited; the most obvious limitation being that it takes forever to deform cubes into round or curves shapes.