Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Doom 4 teaser and how it compares to the reveal

You might have already seen it in another thread. It looks and sounds fantastic. This is definitely what they showed in the reveal. I'm quite pleased. Thoughts?

My thoughts?
When they say teaser they *really* mean it :)
Can't really say anything about it at all - other than it's nice to finally see something official after 8 years of waiting!

Well, they certainly know what we want to see. Super shotguns, demons, and a hellish setting. I absolutely love that out of all the Doom monsters they could have shown off, they picked the goofiest one of the bunch (except for the manc, maybe), and made no effort to make it look any less ridiculous.

I'm pretty optimistic.

Talking about goofy, the question of "Why the fuck is there a 19th century weapon in this futuristic setting?" suddenly becomes more poignant when you see it presented with the level of detail shown in the teaser. Part of me wants an explanation, and part of me just smiles and says, "That's Doom for ya!" I'm pretty much going to accept whatever the game throws at us, because it's clear now that id wants to evoke 1993/1994 all over again.

EDIT: This is nit-picky, but I'm a bit disappointed that the lighting isn't better, as it's glaringly obvious that not every object is casting a shadow. Now, that might not seem like a big deal, since the overall detail is high, but for fuck's sake, this is the PS4 era. It should have no problem casting shadows on all objects and retain a decent framerate, considering the best PS3 games can almost do that. Motion is a huge factor when it comes to selling realism, and guess what? So are shadows! I'll still support the hell out of Doom, but I think I'm seeing now how consoles are compromising the level of visual detail. Kinda sucks.

GoatLord said:

Talking about goofy, the question of "Why the fuck is there a 19th century weapon in this futuristic setting?" suddenly becomes more poignant when you see it presented with the level of detail shown in the teaser. Part of me wants an explanation, and part of me just smiles and says, "That's Doom for ya!" I'm pretty much going to accept whatever the game throws at us, because it's clear now that id wants to evoke 1993/1994 all over again.

EDIT: This is nit-picky, but I'm a bit disappointed that the lighting isn't better, as it's glaringly obvious that not every object is casting a shadow. Now, that might not seem like a big deal, since the overall detail is high, but for fuck's sake, this is the PS4 era. It should have no problem casting shadows on all objects and retain a decent framerate, considering the best PS3 games can almost do that. Motion is a huge factor when it comes to selling realism, and guess what? So are shadows! I'll still support the hell out of Doom, but I think I'm seeing now how consoles are compromising the level of visual detail. Kinda sucks.

They're aiming to make it a modern day blend of DOOM 3 and classic DOOM, and from what i see here, they've succeded. It most certainly looks like a revenant sprite filtered through 20+ years of design detail. If I was going to make a modern day revenant... i'd reckon it look pretty much like that.

GoatLord said:

Talking about goofy, the question of "Why the fuck is there a 19th century weapon in this futuristic setting?" suddenly becomes more poignant when you see it presented with the level of detail shown in the teaser. Part of me wants an explanation

It was explained in Resurrection of Evil to some degree. The gun is kind of the personal toy of one of the officers, with which he went bear hunting back on earth.

Well, my goal from last year was to stay in the dark once the game is unveiled so I'm not watching it. I'm just waiting for a release date.

But the new logo is pretty cool.

The lighting in Doom 3 allegeday sucked...the lighting in Doom 4 supposedly sucks...lmao. And people are questioning why there are shotguns in Doom...

I for one am really excited for a new Doom game, how about you whiny crybabys, aren't you thrilled?

That revenant is so expressive in just a couple of frames. id's animators were always fantastic.

I wonder if those cables on the arm will be modified, the clipping is outrageous lmao

Piper Maru said:

how about you whiny crybabys, aren't you thrilled?

wont b thrilled until betheseseda make fallout 4. y they waste there time on shity dum game

Eris Falling said:

wont b thrilled until betheseseda make fallout 4. y they waste there time on shity dum game

the basturds r ruining everything!

Piper Maru said:

The lighting in Doom 3 allegeday sucked...the lighting in Doom 4 supposedly sucks...lmao. And people are questioning why there are shotguns in Doom...

I for one am really excited for a new Doom game, how about you whiny crybabys, aren't you thrilled?

I'm incredibly thrilled. Doom 3's lighting was fantastic for very specific circumstances. My issue is that, a decade later, certain lighting issues still haven't been addressed. It doesn't mean it sucks.

It doesn't seem like DOOM/Tech 6 will win anyone over. People are already complaining about graphics all around the net.

Touchdown said:

It doesn't seem like DOOM/Tech 6 will win anyone over. People are already complaining about graphics all around the net.

lol. society.

Touchdown said:

Fedoras, Neckbeards, and Sperglords complaining about vidgya gaems GFX on the internet!!???? Say it's not so!?

GoatLord said:

I'm incredibly thrilled. Doom 3's lighting was fantastic for very specific circumstances. My issue is that, a decade later, certain lighting issues still haven't been addressed. It doesn't mean it sucks.

I get what you're saying, I was just being cheeky. :p

Touchdown said:

I don't give a single fuck about graphics. I just want the game to be actually fun.

I like the stop motion cheesy B-movie look. I was worried they'd go too hyper-realistic.

I've seen some people complain it looks too fleshy, which is like, guess you don't know what the Revenant actually looked like originally??