Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stygian

Your Opinion on the Newest Doom (Straw Poll)

So, by another words, you want say that all Doom 1/Doom 2/Final Doom "inspired" tracks (Metallica, ALice in Chains and others) aren't teenager music in 1980-1990? Lawl, epic revelation to me.

GoatLord said:

I've noticed some people--probably younger or just plain uninformed folks--regarding industrial and dubstep as synonymous, which is ridiculous because it's almost as if they can't tell the difference between overkill oscillating bass and the noise-driven post-punk leanings of industrial.

...who cares?

I mean, sure, there are plenty of ignorant plebs that don't understand the subtle differences that you care about, but really?

That's like getting mad at people that think "Doom" refers to "Doom 2" instead of "Ultimate Doom" or "Shareware Doom".

What are you going to do when Doom 4 is released and people think of that as "Doom" because it's called "Doom"?

Except referring to all those things as Doom is correct because they're all Doom games.

But when you're treating two very different things as the same it's another story. It's like someone that has no idea about computers referring to every PC as a Macintosh even if it plainly says "WINDOWS" right on the screen.

So far the music Ive heard is perfect. During the hell fight with the revenants theres that track playing from the cyberdemon trailer (after the "now this brave new world has gone to hell") which I fucking loved.

It's funny because I browse the internet to see reactions and forums like NeoGaf seem determined to hate the game for whatever reason while people around here are pretty positive (but not without a healthy dose of skepticism).

Well, from what I hear neogaf is populated with idiots anyway. They're probably eating up the whole "omg too violent" thing or something.

They seem to be the kind of people that can only think in extremes. It's either 10/10 or 0/10. For example, someone posted the automap Quakke posted on Doomworld and another said "absolutely pathetic level design" while the reactions here are almost always more balanced.

DooM_RO said:

They seem to be the kind of people that can only think in extremes. It's either 10/10 or 0/10. For example, someone posted the automap Quakke posted on Doomworld and another said "absolutely pathetic level design" while the reactions here are almost always more balanced.

lol That was me. I'm Ixion over there. It's definitely interesting how much more positive this forum is compared to NeoGAF. On one hand, you can say that Doom fans will be biased towards liking the game, but on the other hand you can say that Doom fans will be purists. But it seems NeoGAF wants Doom 4 to be like the classic games more than DoomWorld does.

GoatLord said:

I don't think we need teenage hard rock for Doom's soundtrack.

I agree, we don't need Slipknot or other shitty Nu metal bands. Turn that garbage off and put on some Yanni or John Tesh.

How the heck do you draw the conclusion about absolutely pathetic level design from that map?

Your music choices just too nostalgitic. And when Painkiller or Bloodrayne became shitty nu-metal teenage music?

All it would take is for someone to play Doom past the first level to realize that not every song is metal. If you want to have loud music that drowns out all the sounds so you can't tell where the monsters are, just turn off the ingame music and turn on Winamp.

Pretty much all the music chosen in that video was absolute garbage for Doom. It's even worse than Painkiller levels of boring useless metal. (I'm not a fan of metal in general but come on, at least it can have a tune sometimes and not just stupid grinding without any sort of melody or anything that could be even mistaken for pleasing to listen to)

I'll diss what I want (because I have absolutely no knowledge of what is what and which songs I should be expected to respect because they're popular and whatever)

I wasn't able to sit through that slog, but all the parts I've skipped to (every minute or so) had some really shitty (for the gameplay) music going on.

Antroid said:

because I have absolutely no knowledge of what is what and which songs I should be expected to respect because they're popular and whatever

They're the band that Adrian's Asleep and Bye Bye American Pie was ripped off from. You're not meant to respect them because they're popular, you should respect them because they're objectively well-made and memorable.

Jaxxoon R said:

They're the band that Adrian's Asleep and Bye Bye American Pie was ripped off from. You're not meant to respect them because they're popular, you should respect them because they're objectively well-made and memorable.

Well, none of that is well-made or memorable for me. Can't argue with objectiveness I guess, but I absolutely detest the idea of any of that playing ingame.

Also when I listened to that audio file with the doom songs and the "originals" that they were "inspired" by, in absolutely every single instance the doom version sounded loads better despite being a midi. Oh well. As I said, definitely not a metal fan.