Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Antroid

So that one recolored screenshot that everyone likes...

Oddly that screenshot is not showing up on my end.

Edit: It turns out adblock was fucking up.

I kinda like that shot actually... I'm okay with the current look too though. It would be cool if the game had extra options like the ability to revert to classic doom colors and use big head mode. Oh, and paintball mode.

The 1st Gamer said:

It would be cool if the game had extra options like the ability to revert to classic doom colors and use big head mode. Oh, and paintball mode.

Some people in the other places I've seen this screenshot recolor have mentioned serious sam 3's color options: it had customizable saturation, contrast, etc. You could make it much more colorful if you wanted. Although it didn't have separate color balance options to make the picture a different hue. But I don't know if I'd ever touch those if they were present in either SS3 or Doom 4. I usually play on default settings like that, without any mods or anything, because I like having games "as intended" or, often, more like "as turned out".

I always like fixes or improvements, especially if it's officially produced or promoted, though it doesn't have to be.

It's like, you could watch the shitty theatrical cut of Metropolis with the butchered plot (as it turned out), or the recent restoration that added back in all the scenes that had been lost for almost a century.

Technician said:

Like some people are getting tired of FPS looking like it's been saturated in piss and shit since 1996?

You have recolored my balls, that's how much i care.

The recolored screenshot is kinda neat but nothing that makes me beg for id Software to change things.

It certainly seems like lighting plays a big role in this new Doom and that the lighting affects the color.

There certainly seems to be some color diversity in place but not quite like in the original Doom, multiplayer and SnapMap footage seems to indicate that each level/environment is colored differently judging from the lighting.

It was probably a coincidence that the two levels they decided to show at E3 both had similar yellowish color.

I do kinda wish hell was more red but yellow works for me, too. I find it hard to complain about color when Doom 3 was a thing. :P

As others have said, the recolour could be better, but still when you see them side-by-side it does highlight how sepia-toned the original image is. I think the game would definitely look better with a brighter, less conservative palette.

FireFish said:

That recolored screenshot looks like absolute shit, but i guess it fits right into the mindset of people unable to accept change, progress, or modernization.

They'll complain about even the most minute details. All they want is Ultimate DOOM HD Remaster.

They should just make one big rainbow map and replace monsters with teddy bears so it will be colorful enough for LSD enthusiasts that we call Doom fans.

It might be worth mentioning that most of the doomers you see here on doomworld are not the same doomers you see on most social networking sites. I honestly don't know where most of those people came from or where they're congregating.

Maybe Doom(4)guy wears a pair of these?

40oz said:

It might be worth mentioning that most of the doomers you see here on doomworld are not the same doomers you see on most social networking sites.

This is kinda obvious, given the very different attitude towards many things (if not all).

Forum newbies that want to post about Doom 4 should provide demos of them beating all iwads first, otherwise their opinions don't matter.

Cybersexdemon said:

They should just make one big rainbow map and replace monsters with teddy bears so it will be colorful enough for LSD enthusiasts that we call Doom fans.

Whateves, weird guy.

40oz said:

It might be worth mentioning that most of the doomers you see here on doomworld are not the same doomers you see on most social networking sites. I honestly don't know where most of those people came from or where they're congregating.

My guess is that they are the people who hang out on sites like IGN, Gamespot, and other mainstream gaming sites.

Memfis said:

Forum newbies that want to post about Doom 4 should provide demos of them beating all iwads first, otherwise their opinions don't matter.

Sounds like a bad business plan if id Software were to employ it but I guess you don't need sales when most people keep playing classic, colorful Doom wads anyway. :P

Although I must say, is it just me or is the new Doom at least a tad bit more colorful than Doom 2? Although I may be biased, I hold Doom 1 in much higher regard but of course Doom 2's good, super shotgun and all.

LOL, id should let users tell them how to make the game, but only after sending them demos of us personally beating all wads.

I'll sit there in a room with them and beat Knee Deep in the Dead in about an hour while exploring nearly the whole level. I don't claim to know 100% secrets or anything, but still...

Cybersexdemon said:

You mean like this?

;-)

I prefer the idea of additional color in the recolored photo but obviously it's not implemented in a professional manner. It's just an altered version of the original image so yes, it does in fact look worse. However, if id's professional art and graphics team designed the game with those colors in mind they would have far more depth I'm sure. Looking at those two images though I can't honestly say I'm totally pleased with either one but ehh - overall I still enjoy the new Doom's visual style. I think the actual game will have more color than the images floating around google lead us to believe. The actual gameplay footage on Youtube looked more vibrant and was quite well done.

It probably helps that for me, personally, doom's hell was always a very dynamic idea - meaning that it could be reimagined in a whole multitude of ways and I'll still like it. In the case of Doom 4 that particular level seems to be leaning towards a rocky, desolate wasteland. I'd wager that since it's said to be from about halfway through the game, further into hell things will gradually start looking more and more different. But of course people just want to spout the same tired "lol brown", the newer but already tired "lol piss filter", without taking a second to contemplate what's actually bad about a hell level looking that way.

kelliegator said:

Although I must say, is it just me or is the new Doom at least a tad bit more colorful than Doom 2? Although I may be biased, I hold Doom 1 in much higher regard but of course Doom 2's good, super shotgun and all.

Yah, just looking at the new assets Doom II had, it's pretty fucking brown. Doom 1 was far more colorful with its greens, and bright reds and blues. Doom II has some bright reds I mean, but otherwise it's pretty muddy. Not as bad as Quake, of course.

From an artistic point of view, too much red takes away the vibrancy of the colour. So if you have a red sky above and red lava or blood lakes beneath and some red glowing things in the environemnt, it all blends together into a muddy haze of redishness.

Notice how vibrant that red energy "coupling" looks in the original screenshot together with the dusty yellowish colours, and how it is barely noticable in that recoloured screenshot.

The screenshot is just a hint of what it could have been, of course nobody says it should be exactly like that... and perhaps, even if the game was exactly like that, i might have some interest in it. But being as it is, i'll pass it just like i pass every generic shooter. Just because this one got the license to be called "DOOM" doesn't mean i'm gonna be interested in it.

New Shadow Warrior was colorful. And was nice looking. Not needed to use just one color. To me, that stupid filter makes all the enemies looks the same. We live in a colorful world... c'ome on, lets use the rest of color!!!

I have to admit, I hope hell is a bit more diverse in its color choices. It's just that yellow/sepia doesn't suggest a particularly nightmarish palette.

My point is that we can't judge the whole game based on a few screenshots.

They really should have shown that blue stasis pod room too as a contrast to all others.

One thing I find interesting is just how quickly after the release of Doom that id abandoned the "bright colors" mentality.

Like, here's an infamous Doom texture:

But here's the Jaguar version of the same level, which was edited by someone at id just a few months later: