Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

swimable water? and teleporting woes

I know this has been explained before, but I can't find the thread that contains it. how do I make swimmable water in zdoom using wadauthor. if anyone can link to an old thread about it or just explain it here, I would appreciate it.

my other dilema is teleporting. I'm setting up teleporters, but they only work once. I'm using the regular teleport(tag) command and have a teleport destination thing in the destination sector. what did I do wrong? why does it onlt work once? how do I get it to work every time? all help is appreciated

Share this post


Link to post
VileSlay said:

I know this has been explained before, but I can't find the thread that contains it. how do I make swimmable water in zdoom using wadauthor. if anyone can link to an old thread about it or just explain it here, I would appreciate it.


http://zdoom.notgod.com/ftp/examples/waterteleport.zip is an example with a readme file on how to do it.

My other dilema is teleporting. I'm setting up teleporters, but they only work once. I'm using the regular teleport(tag) command and have a teleport destination thing in the destination sector. what did I do wrong? why does it onlt work once? how do I get it to work every time? all help is appreciated


Have you checked "Repeatable" on both of the teleporter ?

Share this post


Link to post
Darkstalker said:

Have you checked "Repeatable" on both of the teleporter ?


heh, just call me lame. didn't see the little box there.

and thanks for the file, BTW.

Share this post


Link to post
VileSlay said:

I know this has been explained before, but I can't find the thread that contains it. how do I make swimmable water in zdoom using wadauthor. if anyone can link to an old thread about it or just explain it here, I would appreciate it.


Set up 2 sectors, one of which is going to be the 'water sector', and the other in void space which is the 'control sector'. Let's say the 'water sector' has heights of
(0, 128) and you want water that's 128 units deep. Change the properties to the following:

Water sector: Heights (-128, 128), floor flat "F_WATER1", ceiling flat "whatever you want"

Control sector: Heights (0, 128), floor flat "whatever you want", ceiling flat "FWATER1"

Assign the water sector a tag.

Assign the Transfer_Heights special to one linedef in the control sector, and give the linedef the same tag as the one in the water sector.

Place a "water zone" thing in the control sector, and it's done! To make the underwater bit blue, change the colour of the control sector (using Sector_SetColor, preferably on an open script).

Share this post


Link to post
Ultimate DooMer said:

To make the underwater bit blue, change the colour of the control sector (using Sector_SetColor, preferably on an open script).


the rest of what you put works, but I'm not sure about that last part, UD. don't mean to bug ya, but you think you could explain that a little more? if its a acs scripting thing then I have no clue how to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Ultimate DooMer said:

Set up 2 sectors, one of which is going to be the 'water sector', and the other in void space which is the 'control sector'. Let's say the 'water sector' has heights of
(0, 128) and you want water that's 128 units deep. Change the properties to the following:

Water sector: Heights (-128, 128), floor flat "F_WATER1", ceiling flat "whatever you want"

Control sector: Heights (0, 128), floor flat "whatever you want", ceiling flat "FWATER1"

Assign the water sector a tag.

Assign the Transfer_Heights special to one linedef in the control sector, and give the linedef the same tag as the one in the water sector.


A better setting for the control sector would be (-16, 128), then the water won't be flush with the surrounding floor (if any).

Use the line special Transfer_Heights to a line in the control sector and tag it with the water sector (use same tag for line/sector) Transfer Heights is under 'Class: Special' in Wadauthor linedef window.

The 'Water Zone' is inserted like any sprite in Doom, and it goes in the control sector. Water Zone can also be found in the Class: Special Thing window in Wadauthor. However, without SOME scripting, your water will not be coloured properly and may look lame.

Make your script like this:

#include zcommon.acs

script 1 open

{
//red blood water
Sector_SetColor (xx, 203, 0, 0,);
}

Place a tag on your control Sector, and put that number in as XX in the script. 203 is the R value of the RGB. G and B are 0 cause you don't want any of those colours.


whew, after three edits i think this post is right ;P

Share this post


Link to post

I tried your script, use3d, but I got an error in line 7, incorrect number of special arguments. this is my first time utilizing a script, so I' pretty clueless on what the deal is.

Share this post


Link to post
VileSlay said:

I tried your script, use3d, but I got an error in line 7, incorrect number of special arguments. this is my first time utilizing a script, so I' pretty clueless on what the deal is.


He left a comma on the end of the bit in brackets, it should be:


#include "zcommon.acs"

script 1 OPEN // blue water

{
Sector_SetColor (tag, 0, 0, 255);
}

You can also trigger this property with a linedef, but IMO it's better to use an open script.

Share this post


Link to post
Use3D said:

Place a tag on your control Sector, and put that number in as XX in the script.

VileSlay, did you do this?

Share this post


Link to post

The underwater colour can be set as part of the transfer heights line. No need to do it via a script. So, unless you want to change the colour during play or something just use the line.

In your dummy/control sector edit the transfer heights line. On the lower side put a numeric value to represent the colour you want under the water where you would normally put a texture name.

The colour format is

AARRGGBB

AA = an alpha value (how cloudy the water effect is)
RR = How red (FF = very red)
GG = How green
BB = How blue

I find 80008080 quite good for regular water

and 80003000 quite good for under nukage.

You can also simply use the word "WATERMAP" on the lower side, and Zdoom will automatically generate an underwater colour similar to the BOOM watermap lump.

Share this post


Link to post
mmnpsrsoskl said:

VileSlay, did you do this?


yeah, I just had an extra comma in there. so it works now. thanks guys.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0