Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
The Ultimate DooMer

Palette Problems

When I take an existing DooM 2 texture, flat or sprite and colourise it in Paint Shop Pro, the colour goes all crappy when loaded into a wad with Wintex. (as if I was going from 24-bit to 256 colours, even though I'm not, as they're 256 colours to start with - PSP even says so)

When I play around with the various features (brightness, hue, saturation etc.) I can sometimes get it to screw up less, and with some colours (eg. red, grey) it doesn't screw up at all.

Is this a fault in PSP (does it always save bitmaps as 24-bit, thus producing this effect), or am I doing something wrong? Is there a better way of doing this (apart from doing it manually with Paint, which takes forever)

I have to deal with this problem all the time. Before putting the picture in Wintex, apply the Doom 2 (or Heretic or Hexen, depending on the game you're working with) palette to it (Nearest color matching). This way, Wintex won't foul up the colors.

Take any graphic, and save the pallete from there. Now you have the Doom Pallete. :)