Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deadsmple

maximum vertices?

Does anyone know if there is a maximum # of vertices one can draw in a map? Or is this just a bug in HellMaker? Thanks.

Levels the engine like depends on the port you are designing for, but i can only approximate the max # to extremely high. And is what just a bug? Have you encountered a problem?

A Mac user I know had problems with hellmaker after he got a large level put together. All we had to do in the end was turn off the hellmaker nodes builder and use one of the others like BSP 5.1 or such. After that no problem at all.

I tried turning off HellMakers nodes builder but still no help. I can still do things like changing textures and adjusting floor/ceiling heights, but once i try to create a new vertice and then save it the app gives me an error stating it had a problem creatinng the file. Then when i go back to look at that file its gone. So i'm figuring there must be some limit to the number of vertices that Hellmaker lets you work with. If Anyone know for sure i would really appreciate it so i can plan more carefully when try to create new maps. Thanks again.

My Friends map had 3706 vert., 4500 lines and about 6700 sides. as well as 300 some sectors. So we know hell maker will do that much. If you are far beyond this I have no clue.

Deadsmple said:

Does anyone know if there is a maximum # of vertices one can draw in a map? Or is this just a bug in HellMaker? Thanks.

In terms of the game 32k for stock DOOM and all ports except ZDOOM. ZDOOM up to 65k. So the issue is with HellMaker for whatever reason with that particular level - although may not be a limit for HellMaker.

Realistically, the limit for all ports (except ZDOOM) is really the SEGS which can't go over 32k (because of NODES design) or the BLOCKMAP which is limited to 64k for DOOM, 128k for some ports and over that for ZDOOM and maybe MBF/JDOOM.

In terms of stats you make yourself, this usually ends up around 15-16k linedefs (varies depending on design). I made a ZDOOM level (3 Vrack2 pasted together) that is 37k linedefs to test out ZDOOM huge level support. Works great.

I am the mac user that Searcher was talking about. There are many bugs in HellMaker unfortunatley however I have never come across one that I could not work around. Would you mind sending me an email at phil1984@spymac.com with your level attached and I will see if I can find out why your level is crashing on you.