Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
toxicfluff

Dehacked editing question

Right, I've got some NPC's in a map I'm making, but when you tell them to move somewhere or to attack something, they move in that usual shitty jerky way which monsters do, especially since they move quite fast. But, after looking at the frame table, monsters seem to actually have to walking frames for one animation. Umm, let me simplify.... E.g. the imp has two frames for the walking frame where his arm is in the middle, and two for right foot forward etc,

Is this linked to how smoothly the monsters move? Do they actually only move forward every time the frame changes and the codepointer is executed? Fundamentally, does this mean that if I find more frames, I could make them move more smoothly? Because it looks horrible having a marine jerking around, and I need him to move faster than the monsters, because well he's a marine.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

Is this linked to how smoothly the monsters move?

Yes, very much so. If you make a monster that has single walking frames, as opposed to the double ones you describe, it looks quite odd. Definitely jerky. As to whether adding additional frames would smooth things out - maybe. I've not tried it, but it seems to make sense that it would work.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

Ah sweet, thanks man. Fuck knows where I will get the frames from, but I'll find 'em somehow.

Well, if you only want to up the frames to 3 instead of 2, you only need 4 (right?) so you can get them from the pain elemental respawn frames. There's actually 6 available there. In addition, frame 887 is never used in game (it's got the grey stalagmite sprite allocated to it - which is not an item used in game). Frames 892 and 893 are also unused. They have player death sprites allocated to them for some reason, but are not used in the player death animation. So there you go, 9 frames. Enough to make 2 additional frames for each walking picture and have 1 frame left over. :-)

Ah excellent. Even better. I'd used some of them, but hadn't noticed the 2 player frames or the Pain Elemental respawn. Once again, thanks for the help.