Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SmellyOgre

Deepsea

When using the line tool, I can make lines small as 8. but know when i use the line draw tool the smallest line i can make is 64 in length. So the smallest i can make a room is 64 by 64 for example, not 8 by 8. Does anyone know how to change this back?

EDIT: WTF, i just opened deepsea and now the smallest line i can make is 2 in length, what is going on? Every time i get on deepsea the line length is longer or shorter, im not even doing anything.

to change your grid size just push "G" while in line mode and watch the bottom of your open program to see what the current grid size is. To hide the grid push "H"

ok thanks for the help. Heh, i have another question, when importing sprites to replace other, the sprite looks the same. example:

i replace SKULA1 with METROID1
I start the game and the SKULA1 sprite of the lost soul looks the same, not like metroid1.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

On the grid thing, you can also hit the / key to toggle grid snapping on and off.

i replace SKULA1 with METROID1
I start the game and the SKULA1 sprite of the lost soul looks the same, not like metroid1.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Presumably you are replacing SKULA1 with a METROID1 graphic called SKULA1?

If so, there's one more thing you need to do. Sprites need to be in a "section" of the wad identifying themn as sprites. This means they must be between markers such as S_START and S_END or SS_START and SS_END

To do this in DeePSea, import your graphic into a WAD, and then when you are still in the import dialogue, select your first new sprite in the target this and click the insert target button. Make sure "insert before" is selected, type S_START and click OK. Now scroll to your last sprite and repeat the process, this time inserting S_END after your last entry. Then save.

That should work OK with most (all?) ports. With Vanilla Doom you'll need to do things a little differently, but I can't remember how without importing all the sprites from the IWAD. I think it is possible though.

Thanks Enjay, it replaced the lost soul, and now it's on the ground. I made the image taller but it still appears on the ground. I'ts not floating like the lost soul does. Heh, is there anyone who can help me out here?

Did you somehow get the sprite image offset? Looking at the sprites with Wintex, you can see the offsets and adjust them. Check the lost soul in doom2.wad, note the offsets. Check your replaced graphic, make sure it's the same. If your sprite graphic is much larger, it may need some different offset to be centered on the lost soul actor.

You didn't use a dehacked patch on the lost soul, did you, and change any of its properties? You could force it to stay on the ground.

This is a little off topic, but Deepsea generated a very wierd glitch the other day. I was saving my map and when it reached the Node Builder options it crashed and deleted my wad. I was slightly terrified until I remembered that Deepsea saved a BAK file for me every successful save. Anyone have an idea what happened?

cyber-menace said:

Deepsea generated a very wierd glitch the other day. I was saving my map and when it reached the Node Builder options it crashed and deleted my wad. I was slightly terrified until I remembered that Deepsea saved a BAK file for me every successful save. Anyone have an idea what happened?

Are you using a Win9x-based OS? A problem I had when I used Win95/98 occured when I would save a map and DeepBSP would begin building the nodes, bomb out and corrupt the file. After a few months of thinking it was a DeepBSP error, I discovered that running ANYTHING DOS-based after Win95/98 had more than a few programs opened and closed would cause the OS to bomb out (including forced reboot by endless bluescreens if I ran anything fullscreen). The only solution is to not build nodes unless you're still somewhat freshly-booted, or get an NT-based Windows version.

cyber-menace said:

This is a little off topic, but Deepsea generated a very wierd glitch the other day. I was saving my map and when it reached the Node Builder options it crashed and deleted my wad. I was slightly terrified until I remembered that Deepsea saved a BAK file for me every successful save. Anyone have an idea what happened?

Yeah, that exact thing happened to me once a long time ago. Then it never happened again. How about that.

I'm finally touching up on it, i have all the metroid sprites imported and i just need to do the death sprites. Thanks to all who helped.

EDIT: heh, never mind, this is turning out bad, the sprite is too big. About twice the size of a lost soul so part of it goes through walls when it gets close to them. And their hit points are too low for a metroid. Is there a way to resize it with wintex or deepsea's graphics editor? And also, is there a way to change the HP of the monster?

This is so frustrating.....

heh... Now you've run into the little device known as DeHacked. It's a DOS based editor you can get of Doomworld to edit almost everything you can think of. It's not easy though. Anyways you must set up Dehacked up properly and then follow these instructions.

1. Open Lost Soul for editing in the sprite editing menu.
2. Change its HP to whatever you please.
3. Change its Height and Width to match the size of your Metroid pics.
4. Change its Speed if you wish (Metroids are far faster than lost souls)
5. Change its Mass (How easily can it be shot backward)
6. That about does it... Now save your work with any name you desire.
7. Copy and paste the .deh patch to another folder.
8. Rename the .deh file to DEHACKED.deh.
9. Using a lump management tool import the DEHACKED.deh into your wad.
10. It's all done! Now go test it. If it doesn't work then try again.

Well those 10 steps should work for you.

SmellyOgre said:

Thanks Enjay, it replaced the lost soul, and now it's on the ground. I made the image taller but it still appears on the ground. I'ts not floating like the lost soul does. Heh, is there anyone who can help me out here?

Lost souls actually do basically sit on the ground when first placed in a map.

Biffs suggestion of checking offsets it a good one. DeePsea has this feature in F7 Sprite and IMGZ name edit.

If you are using Zdoom, you could scale your sprite to be smaller.

The suggestion of using dehacked to alter things is a good one. Some ports do not support an embeded dehacked lump, and have to load them from the command line though. If you want more dehacked information, pop along to my site and click the dehacked button for some beginner to intermediate tutorials.

cyber-menace said:

you could try using an external (native windows) nodes builder, its pretty easy to set up within deepsea.

I use Windows XP as well...Deepsea works fine, all my Doom stuff plays great and I even got Wolfenstein 3D to play good...with sounds!

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

Heh, im talking about dehacked not deepsea. Also, how do i import a sky texture for a certain level? I imported RSKY1 between PP_START and PP_END but it's not working.

The only way I know how to change the default sky is by turning your map into a Zdoom/Hexen map. You can use Zdoom's Mapinfo lump to change the sky. Take a look at this for a little help on setting it up. When you choose your sky for the mapinfo lump just make it like this

sky1 SKY1 0
and that will change the sky texture. Using the map info you can also add new sky textures. By uploading any new texture you can assign it to the mapinfo by its texture name.
sky1 ASHWALL2 0
It might look wierd if it's not meant to be a sky though... That should help you out unless you want to keep your map in the DOOM 2 area. Then I can't help you...