Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Apothem

Lit flag in a BEX Patch

Im trying to make the archvile fire dim and not lit compred to all the other flames and i was wondering how you set that flag in a BEX patch. Any explanations?

Fullbrightness in DeHackEd/BEX is controlled via the subsprite, or sprite frame, number. To make a frame display its sprite at fullbright light level, you add the number 32768 to it (technically you bitwise-OR it, but since all the valid values for the sprite frame number are bitwise exclusive of 32768, it is the same as adding in all cases).

So, if you want to make a frame that is already fullbright be normal, just find its sprite frame number and subtract 32768 from it, then provide that in a DeHackEd frame block.

Okay you lost me there, can i get that explanation in english? =D
Translation- Can i get an example here ;D

Each frame is set to bright or non bright, not the item itself. The easy way to change this is go into dehacked, change to the frame editor (F3), find the frame(s) you want to change and check/uncheck the "Bright Sprite" option for each frame.

What this does is exactly what Quasar described. ie it adds 32768 to a sprite sub number to make it bright, or subtracts 32768 to make it normal. However, because all this is done in the background by dehacked, you will only be aware of checking an option for each frame unless you inspect the resulting DEH file with a text editor. This is something you will probably have to do sooner or later if you are using BEX options, because these are not compatible with the old dehacked program (because they are newer than dehacked).

Edit: oh yeah, you wanted an example didn't you? Here you go. This should make the archvile fire non bright. I did it by unchecking the bright sprite options for each of these frames in the dehacked frame table. You'll notice all the sprite sub numbers are quite low. Originally they would have been 32768 higher.

Patch File for DeHackEd v3.0

# Note: Use the pound sign ('#') to start comment lines.

Doom version = 19
Patch format = 6

Frame 281
Sprite subnumber = 0

Frame 282
Sprite subnumber = 1

Frame 283
Sprite subnumber = 0

Frame 284
Sprite subnumber = 1

Frame 285
Sprite subnumber = 2

Frame 286
Sprite subnumber = 1

Frame 287
Sprite subnumber = 2

Frame 288
Sprite subnumber = 1

Frame 289
Sprite subnumber = 2

Frame 290
Sprite subnumber = 3

Frame 291
Sprite subnumber = 2

Frame 292
Sprite subnumber = 3

Frame 293
Sprite subnumber = 2

Frame 294
Sprite subnumber = 3

Frame 295
Sprite subnumber = 4

Frame 296
Sprite subnumber = 3

Frame 297
Sprite subnumber = 4

Frame 298
Sprite subnumber = 3

Frame 299
Sprite subnumber = 4

Frame 300
Sprite subnumber = 5

Frame 301
Sprite subnumber = 4

Frame 302
Sprite subnumber = 5

Frame 303
Sprite subnumber = 4

Frame 304
Sprite subnumber = 5

Frame 305
Sprite subnumber = 6

Frame 306
Sprite subnumber = 7

Frame 307
Sprite subnumber = 6

Frame 308
Sprite subnumber = 7

Frame 309
Sprite subnumber = 6

Frame 310
Sprite subnumber = 7

oh, thats it? eh, ive already done that-and its not making it dark. like the sprite is still kinda bright, but thats the way i have it set up in my bex patch, should i just set a transparency bit to the frame or is that possible? because i wanna make the frame kinda transparent- ya know, like the way it looks in the beginning frames of animation?

Transparency gets applied to a thing, not to individual frames. Depends on which port you are using. If it is just a port that uses transparency in place of the old "predator fuzz" effect for the spectres, then check the "Partial Invisibility" bit. If you are using Zdoom, you can specify a whole bunch of transparency types:

From a post made by Randy Heit a long time ago...

Translucency

The translucency, and style of translucency can be set via a dehacked patch. Add the appropriate values to the things section for the item you want to change.

Alpha = (alpha amount)

Sets the alpha value for the thing. It can be in the range 0.0 - 1.0. You need to set an alpha value for many of the following effects.

Render Style = (style)

Specifies how to draw the thing. (Style) can be:
STYLE_None - Don't draw it at all
STYLE_Normal - Draw the thing without doing anything special
STYLE_Translucent - Draw the thing with regular translucency
STYLE_Add - Draw the thing using a type of translucency that keeps the
background at full intensity. (Useful for a brighter type of translucency.)
STYLE_Fuzzy - Draw with the fuzz effect.
STYLE_OptFuzzy - Draw with fuzz or translucency depending on the r_drawfuzz
cvar.
STYLE_SoulTrans - Draw translucent, but use the transsouls cvar to get the alpha value.

eg

Thing 2 (Trooper)
Render Style = STYLE_Translucent
Alpha = 0.6