Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
netnomad312

Tag failures

I was playing my wad earlier today... when I reached MAP07, everything proceeded as usual, except for two things. Namely, the events that were supposed to be triggered by the 666 and 667 tags. Neither of these events occurred. Funny thing is, they used to work fine, and I haven't changed a thing in that level since I made it (which was months ago).

The damndest thing, though: I was using ZDoom .63 at the time. When I tested it in Legacy, everything worked fine. Is this one of the bugs that I've heard about in .63?

I do, actually... but I've had it in there for awhile now, and it hasn't caused such problems yet. I'll check it, though.

EDIT: How 'bout that. Seems that's something that's changed in .63, or one of the new versions. It didn't use to be that picky. Oh, well, at least it works... thanks.

While we're on the subject of mapinfo lumps, though, maybe someone knows the answer to this: I can't remember when this started, but strangely enough it only happens on my other computer (which is currently using .51). Every time I test the wad, I get messages on the ZDoom console saying "unknown chunk [word] encountered. skipping"... it says this a couple times, each with a word following it... and the only place I can imagine stray words being found is in the mapinfo. The wads on both computers are nearly identical. Maybe this is another old bug from .51?

'word' in this case probably means some grouping of bytes, meaning you most likely have wasted space in your wad, perhaps in the wad directory (wasted space is normally 'between' lumps). for whatever reason. running the wad through any cleanup util (Wintex and XWE both have one) will probably fix it. fyi if there is random text in your mapinfo lump then zdoom will usually bail since it needs the syntax in mapinfo (as well as other lumps) to be strict.

Your dehacked lump has an unknown keyword for what to patch. Appears it found "word" somewhere. Could just be missing control chars so it kept scanning.

I have no dehacked lump either... I do have a patch that isn't in the wad. And these messages come just before "patch installed," it might be the patch. But looking over the patch, I don't see any particular words out of place.

Well, that's the only place that issues that message - so something is getting borked :)