Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Oh No Its Kyle

Icon Of Sin Tutorial

Are there any tutorials for creating an Icon Of Sin style level? There are things I want to know like do I have to actually place the IOS on the level in plain view or just the monster spawners, what everything has to be set to for it to work, etc.

I also have simple questions about the Icon that could be answered in a faq maybe...

There are three elements:
1) The Boss Brain (Romero head). Just sits there, and when it is killed, the level ends.
2) The Boss Shooter(s). Invisible "thing". When it sees/hears the player, it starts shooting out monsters that spawn at the...
3) ...Spawn spots. Just places where the monsters appear.

You can have more than one of each of these, but I think problems arise if you have more shooters than spawn spots (not sure about that).

On map30, spawned monsters telefrag anything (including the player) that is at their spawn spot. On other maps, they don't, and can end up getting stuck on top of one another.

Note that you can have a brain without a shooter, and vice versa.

I think the order in which the spawn spots are used is determined by the "thing" numbers of the spawn spots (ascending order), but you'd have to verify that. Exactly which monster spawns each time is determined by the RNG (random number generator).

One more thing (which I'm not 100% sure about): when playing on NM or with -respawn, if monsters spat out by the boss shooters are killed, they respawn at coordinates (0,0).

Okay, so there is nothing else we need to know? Just so you know, I have four boss brains, four spawners, and about 160 spawn points.

If you screwed around in DeHackEd, you could make the shooter killable, right?

The one thing that has always found it's way in the hardest book for the icon of sin for me, is making all the textures of it all perfectly on a giant wall with the piece of lava as a hole and jazz, I never got that to work. :D

One thing I can't believe is that that huge boss head demon texture thingy is supposed to be the actual demon.

I found out something:
If you place more than, oh, say, over 1000 items, Doom won't like you.
(Yes, it's possible.) I added four times the demon spawners and when Doom tried to load the level it died.

Well there were 1320 objects on the map and the only Doom that would load it was ZDoom. I've lowered the object count considerably, it's now more like 24 objects.

Darkhaven4 said:

Thing limit for anything in Doom is 32768. In ZDoom it's 65536.

There is no thing limit, neither in Doom nor in ZDoom. The only thing that is limited is the number of spawn spots for the shooter (max. 32 in original Doom and Legacy. JDoom has a limit of 64 and PrBoom, Eternity and ZDoom (all Boom compatible ports) completely remove this limit.

Oh No Its Kyle said:

Okay...
Well...
Let me tell ya...
I over shot that by about, oh, 1216 spawn targets, okay? :P

Is there really a need for that many?

I wanted to make it where the shooters could shot enemies anywhere and with four spawn shooters... anyway, now that it's down to a much lower number they all fire at once still but it's just not how I wanted. Oh well. :/

I once tried to make a "double barreled" icon of sin where two shooters where placed on 'hands' either side of the face, but it crashed the version of legacy i tried to run it with..ah well