Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MuD

Spawning Enemies

Hey all

I'm a noob at doom mapping, infact I havent made a proper map yet...
After playing Deus Vult I decided I wanted to make some maps of my own, it was mainly the awesome architecture that inspired me ;) What I want to know is how to make enemies teleport somewhere when you set off a trigger, for example on the first part of Deus Vult when all those imps appear.

BTW I'm using doom builder

Thanks

You need to make a room to hold Your monsters somewhere away from the map. Place monsters there and also build there a teleport. Simple, when monsters start moving in that room they will teleport to Your specific location-meaning they will "spawn" there. I presume You know how to make teleports.
Now, because they are away from the map and cannot hear You, You should build something like airducts from that would connect a room from Your map with the room with the monsters, so the sound can travel trough there, so the monsters can hear You, when You roam the level (You, the player). Make them 1 unit high (the "ducts"). When You fire in that room the monsters will hear the sound and will be activated, they won't stand, they will start to move randomly and will walk into the teleport eventually. They will get teleported to the specific location.
Now, when You want them to appear in a specific moment, place a door by the teleport sector in the room with the monsters so they won't walk into the teleport, which will be blocked because of the doors. Place a line at the point in Your map, that when You cross it, it'll open the doors blocking the teleport and will enable the monsters to be teleported to the location. Get it? Doors open once the player crosses a line in the map, the monsters roaming inside will walk and will be teleported eventually, i.e. they will spawn at the place.
Feel free to ask anything more. Hope this helps. Now go make some maps! :-)

Ok thanks for the help, I understand what you have said, but I'm sure that there is another method. I noticed in Deus Vult that neither the rooms containing the monsters or the rooms where they will be teleported to have any ducts connecting them. I know they are alerted to the player by sound, but I dont understand how this has been done, I could not find any physical connection between the rooms.

They way Nmn described is the only possible in vanilla Doom. If you use an advanced port you can use some scripting.

Nmn said:

Now, because they are away from the map and cannot hear You, You should build something like airducts from that would connect a room from Your map with the room with the monsters, so the sound can travel trough there, so the monsters can hear You, when You roam the level (You, the player). Make them 1 unit high (the "ducts"). When You fire in that room the monsters will hear the sound and will be activated, they won't stand, they will start to move randomly and will walk into the teleport eventually. They will get teleported to the specific location.

This is not neccessary. Just make the distand monster room the same sector number a sector the player visited (and shot in) before. No need for stupid "ducts".

In order for the monsters to hear you w/o using airducts, "join" the holding room sector with another sector that can hear your gunfire, that is... given these facts:

-Sector A is the sector you are standing on.
-Sector B is the sector physically touching sector A, in such a manner that if a monster is on sector B, it will respond to your gunfire.
-Sector C is the "holding room" sector with monsters in them, it does not have to be physically connected to sector A or B.

Now if you would highlight sector B first, then highlight sector C second, now use the "join sectors" function, and now the monsters in sector C should hear you once you fire your gun in sector A or B.

If ur still confused about it, check out a simple sound tutorial I made at http://www.geocities.com/aaarogance/

EDIT: Damn! Boris beated me to the explanation =)... back to the DVII burner...

If you're using original Doom and you're using the detached sector method, be careful about putting too many things in that room. If there are two many things in a certain sector or viewable from a sector, some things will flicker in and out of view. Things in the detached room will count towards that limit because the detached room is considered part of the original sector.

I found that out the hard way as I was making the Crypts remake for Heretic. I made a dozen or so little rooms for the enemies to teleport from to different parts of the map. The trouble is that I set it so that they all referenced the same sector . It wasn't too long before I saw things flickers in and out of view, despite only having around ten things in the main room.

Of course, if you use a source port like ZDoom, scripts are your friend, since you won't need to depend on making a sound in order for monsters to hear you. Also, that viewable thing limit is removed.

boris said:

No need for stupid "ducts".

I used ducts a lot in Waste Site. Chris Hansen used it a lot in his groovy mapsies and I tought this is the only method.
I didn't know about the sector numbers and stuff tough. Thanks for the advice :-).

If you're using original Doom and you're using the detached sector method, be careful about putting too many things in that room. If there are two many things in a certain sector or viewable from a sector, some things will flicker in and out of view. Things in the detached room will count towards that limit because the detached room is considered part of the original sector.

I used doom 2 and found that out too, I downloaded jdoom and all was fixed. i havent tried zdoom or anything else though, zdoom seems very popular.

Indeed.

Doom + Hexen + slopes, colored lighting, and other extras = ZDoom

JDoom, on the other hand, mostly has nifty visual effects like lens flares. However, it is possible, either by .ded or in older versions .dll files, to modify the source code itself. Doom64 TC is one example of this. Unfortunately, all those neato, whizbang bells and whisles tend to really slow down many computers.