Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FlexGalaxy

help with DCK

Well i recently found my DooM Construction Kit hidden in a bookshelf and i thought i'd give it a whirl. Problem is i cant get it to work. If anyone has the construction kit, can you help me out? thnx.

also I read the fucking manual, so no RTFMs.

It requires full DOS. If you don't have that, you'll have to try another editing tool. Note that the info there isn't necessarily 100% up-to-date. Refer to linked Home pages & whatnot.

You'll need to give some more details of exactly what you've tried (and whatnot) if you want people to be able to help you.

FlexGalaxy said:
I have full DOS, its just im following what the manual says, and its not working

By "full DOS", do you mean DOS 6.22 or your doxbox or dos prompt under Windows? DCK does not work in Windows, period.

FlexGalaxy said:

I have full DOS, its just im following what the manual says, and its not working

You probably don't have DOS at all, unless your computer is 7 years old or so. Where Windows 95 was basically just a GUI sitting on top of DOS, Windows XP is a completely new kernel and DOS doesn't exist anymore. WinXP has a DOS-emulator, but there are many DOS apps which don't get along well with it.

In DOS a programmer had direct access to the underlying hardware and could draw on your screen with interrupts and such. Now there's the win32 system calls between the program and the hardware, which screws up a lot of old programming techniques. (Thus your old DOS app will crash.)

for ease of replying, I will assume you have ms-dos6.22 installed and it functions fine.
to run DCK, you need a working mouse, -- a standard dos mouse driver will work fine (assuming you have a ps/2 mouse, etc...) -- a DOOM engine Iwad that DCK understands, and you will probably need to modify the DCK gd files to reflect the dos paths to these resources.
that's it.
oh, and although DCK is still my editor of choice, save often because it crashes more than IE and Netscape combined. :)

Yeah i use dck too and it crashes a lot, at least if you didn't save often before, you will soon find yourself saving every 5-10 minutes once u start using dck

ALL HAIL DCK!