Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheShinobi

Best map builder for doom?

i used to use DCK back in the day when dos was alive and well. nowadays it wont even tickle on an xp machine. whats the best or close to best map building program for doom thats close to how good dck was? thanks guys.

ZF

I am at a toss up between DeepSea and DooMBuilder. Both are really good tools! I have been using Deep for years now, but as it stands I can't decide which one to use more...
Maybe I might be switching to Doom Builder because it seems easier to use and a bit more powerful!!!
I have to put it to the test and see...

just got hold of DoomBuilder. looks impressive:) although i dont see a configuration setup to use the wad file from Final Doom. why is that?

ZF

TheShinobi said:

just got hold of DoomBuilder. looks impressive:) although i dont see a configuration setup to use the wad file from Final Doom. why is that?

ZF

You can switch it out with the Doom2 section, since they have the same map name format. It's just a matter of inconvenience, but you can edit for Final Doom just fine.

ah ok thanks mate:) yeah im really enjoying it. hehe certainly good to use a desktop window to build doom maps as opposed to dos. you ever used like the Unreal Tournament editor? whats ur opinion of the 3D ones?

ZF

DoomBuilder should be the number 1 choice for everyone. It speeds up editing by far and about 2-3 times faster then with ZETH, DeepSea or others!

Tormentor667 said:

DoomBuilder should be the number 1 choice for everyone.

Thanks god not everyone is the same.

Tormentor667 said:

DoomBuilder should be the number 1 choice for everyone. It speeds up editing by far and about 2-3 times faster then with ZETH, DeepSea or others!

Yes it is my new choice of editors, but I can't knock DeeP, it always was a kick ass editor... (Better that WadEd :P)

Use3D said:

Thanks god not everyone is the same.

Thanks god not everyone flames the opinions of another. But then again, this topic is asking for it, the title is wrong. How hot do the flames have to get this time before it gets locked? :p

Thanks for recommanding Doom Builder guys. But, TheShinobi, just try any editor you think is worth a try. You can find a list of editors right here. Unfortunately I cannot mark the common editors bold in these tables (can you please make it possible ling?), so I guess youll just have to pick a few randomly :p

EDIT: Here is a list of more common editors, yet, still quite long for such a list. Unfortunately this site is a work in progress and not all editors have an article yet, but at least you have some common editor names.

CodeImp said:

Thanks god not everyone flames the opinions of another.

Use3D wasn't flaming. Indeed, I see no flames in this thread (just a touch of fanboyism and a pinch of backseat modding, but nothing to warrant taking any action). The point that diversity is a good thing is valid, and you appear to agree with it, judging from your post.

hey guys again thanks for your responses. im curious as to why there is the word Dumb beside my post? for newbies asking questions i dont consider that dumb. either that or its just part of the scripting:p

ZF

Doom Builder is just about the perfect editor for me, partially because I bugged Codeimp to add most of the features I wanted :P But each to his own.

one question when u can assign the wads for like legacy doom etc, u just choose either the doom, doom2 or plutonia/tnt wads for those ones right?

ZF

TheShinobi said:

im curious as to why there is the word Dumb beside my post?

Because when you started the thread, you didn't choose one of the other options. "DUMB" is the default.

You could go back and choose something different by editing your post at the start of this thread.

CodeImp said:

Thanks god not everyone flames the opinions of another.

Aw, insecurity doesn't become you.

Well not really mine. Linguica made it along with the rest of the site, im just maintaining it. I dont realyl care what you copy from it, it just a list of text :P

I have updated the list, now marked the active editors in bold. I know WadAuthor isnt active anymore, but still a reasonably amount of people use it. Also I have added Slade and ZDBSP to the list. I have my doubts on ZETH, is that active? is it popular?

I dunno, it hasn't had a new release for two years but obviously its author is busy with other things. I think some people still use it, although I know a lot of people who did switched to DB when it came out.

I used DEU to make 4 maps. That program really pissed me off to start with (joining vertices backwards and the like) but got used to it. Then I hit the Linedef limit and crashed it.

Then I found DCK. That allowed to me to map in about 1/4 the time DEU took. Helped me fix alot of the shit Id done with DEU too.

DoomBuilder seems to work fairly similar, but the 3D texture placement thing is one the most useful tools yet. And I like the ease of ACS scripting, but knowing C/C++ helps.

I tried DeepSea once, but I was used to DCK so it annoyed me, and the free version limit just annoyed me.

DB all the way.

CodeImp said:

Here is a list of more common editors, yet, still quite long for such a list. Unfortunately this site is a work in progress and not all editors have an article yet, but at least you have some common editor names.

I just noticed that the description of DeePsea needs some modification.

1. DeePBSP is NOT an internal nodebuilder, it's an external nodebuilder. Technically anyone can run this outside of DeePsea without even having DeePsea installed.

2. DeePsea has 3D ingame editing -aka the holy grail of doom editing- via R3Dedit an adaptation of the GL port RISEN3D, thus shows the level as a port would display it, plus Thing placement is available. R3Dedit also is a work in progress - more stuff will be added as time goes by.

Why is rordoom there at the start of the description?

DCK Corrections:

1, DCK is not primarly a sector based editor. The prefab tools (aka "sector" based) are just a small part of the tools just as in DeePsea's prefabs (not the prebuilt kind, but the interactive kind).

2. DCK also does not have an internal node builder.

TIA.

Eh? The page about DeePsea says "automatic" node generation, not "internal" node generation. What page are you talking about?

I still use Wadauthor. It was the first one I tried so I guess I just got comfortable with it. However, nowadays I use it in conjunction with Dbuilder (the 3D interface just makes things like texture allignments so much simpler). That is the one thing I didn't like about Wauthor: having to "test" the level by running it just to see what some bit of architecture looked like, etc.

The Green Marine said:

(the 3D interface just makes things like texture allignments so much simpler).

Simple addition/subtraction is pretty tricky.

I usually use XWE,
because it's not only a Level Editor,
but it allows you to import new textures, music, sounds, and sprites
into your PWAD.