Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SyntherAugustus

Walkable translucent water.

Currently, I'm making some hires textures using a changed and more (natural tuned) version of 8 bit doom palette, for my Elidor project.

And I can tell, 8-bit textures are a pain in the @$$, You can not make shiny windows that show a bit of the interior, you can not make metallic shades, or you are only limited in one or two particular colors, you have to make a chioce of which themes and color sets you need ,and so on...

The end days for 8-bit are long overdue.

Sphagne said:

And I can tell, 8-bit textures are a pain in the @$$,

Absolutely. The first time you try to make a nicd gradient of any kind one finds that NO 8-bit palette of any kind can do the job.

As one gets more experience and talent then one doesn't make silly statements that 8-bit paletted textures are no problem and so on. Ignorance is bliss :)

Yup

Sphagne said:

Not when it comes to Doom! But in the real world you are correct.

deep said:

Absolutely. The first time you try to make a nicd gradient of any kind one finds that NO 8-bit palette of any kind can do the job.

That's not entirely true:

Gradients and such can be done just fine in 8-bit for the most part, but you're pretty much screwed if you want to use it in a game (or if you wanted to add some non-blue/red/purple details to that 'texture') unless your entire game palette is two colors... which would be weird

I would love to see 16bit color, if for nothing else than for the textures and sprites. I don't really care too much about the fades and stuff too much though, but it would certainly be nice as well :)

Cyb said:

That's not entirely true:

Well if you pick a specific NARROW band, which is what you just did (and you recognize as being such) - sure. But overall if you want flexible real world effects, forget it. The general statement still holds.

And 16 bit color really isn't worth the effort. You get banding very easily and it's actually pretty limited. Just go to 24/32bit color and be done with it.

(you can see this problem in JDOOM just by running it in 16-bit color mode - looks pretty bad)

I don't care if it's DOOM or not. 8-bit paletted stuff is like keeping DOOM the way it was (no slopes, no DECORATE, no hires and so on). It's TIME TO MOVE ON.