Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chronoteeth

Help with alt fire ideas (edge)

Now for my next weapon mod, I want to use only 4 weapons (rifle W/three round birst alt fire, shotgun, machine gun W/ grenade laucher alt fire, and fist with kick alt fire [different boot]) Now the question is, I have no idea what to make the shotgun have for an alt fire, anyone got ideas for the shotgun alt fire?

Strike out with the butt of the shotgun, like as if it were club or something. It could be a silent attack, used for taking out an enemy with stealth.

Maybe the alt-fire could be an under/overbarrel flamethrower? I know that sounds weird, but since shotguns and flamethrowers are close range weapons, the pair kind of makes sense. It's up to you to add a new ammo type for the secondary attack(fuel) or just use shotgun shells. Alternatively, you could have the player load a different kind of shell into the chamber, such as an incendiary or acid shell.

Lobo said:

Strike out with the butt of the shotgun, like as if it were club or something. It could be a silent attack, used for taking out an enemy with stealth.

After XIII, I don't think it is a good idea.

How about incendinary ammo as a secondary fire?

OMG its so simple!! Normal fire should be the normal shotgun, but alt fire should be automatic fire. the auto fire (alt fire) should cause less damage since it isnt pumped. the pump fire (normal) should be more powerful but slower.
If its a double barrel shotgun, you cant really do 2 shells at once for alt fire, because in the orginal game it already does 2 shells. Maybe you should have acid shells or sumthing, where the shells are filled with poison dipped pellets and it does slow continuos damage to the enemy, but takes more ammo.

CyberDemonHunter said:

OMG its so simple!! Normal fire should be the normal shotgun, but alt fire should be automatic fire. the auto fire (alt fire) should cause less damage since it isnt pumped. the pump fire (normal) should be more powerful but slower.

This isnt a BB gun with a pump.

-a bayonet
-explosive shells
-a sniper rifle (fire all the shells in the same spot)

CyberDemonHunter said:

OMG!! That has been done to death!

I have a few quick ideas for this. How about making it useable as a club that does a bit of damage and knock whatever it hits back a bit. How about swining the gun to your left, firing a shot and then very quickly flipping it over and shooting to the right? I dunno if thats been done ever. Or the same as the previous idea only you quickly fire in front of you and then behind. Stuff like that would be good for big crowds but not make the secondary fire over powered (the gun would fire faster in secondary, but wouldn't be useful in small combat). Also it would be really cool looking. :)

I find too many games make the alt fire to guns way too powerful making the primary useless in compairson. I hope you don't fall into the same pit.

The alt fire of the shotgun could just be a different type of ammunition.

/From wikipedia

Gas shells spray a cone of gas for several meters. These are primarily used by riot police. They normally contain pepper gas or tear gas. Other variations launch a gas grenade like projectile.

Flechette rounds fire tiny aerodynamic darts instead of shot. These are useful in heavily foliaged areas, since plant cover is less likely to disperse the darts than round shot. These were used during the Vietnam War, under the name beehive rounds.

Fireball or Dragon's Breath rounds fire a column of fiery sparks up to 250 feet (76 m) in length. They are intended to convert the shotgun into a single shot flamethrower. They are used by the United States Forest Service to start backfires. Their use on human targets would be considered inhumane.

The fireball and the flechette rounds sound like they might work pretty well.
I know the half-life mod "heart of evil" just used flechette rounds for the alt mode on the shotgun, with a very satisfying and devestating effect.

Also, a slug might be something to think about. Basically it's a very large single round fired from a shotgun instead of the typical shot composed of many small spherical pieces of steel or lead. Basically a short range .50 caliber rifle.

Here's a picture of a melon getting a-sploded by one.

http://www.ftmeade.army.mil/SoundOFF/archives/SO2003/Jan%2023/images/so.rangeAClr.jpg

Well, I hope my suggestions prove useful, and good luck on your project.

Oh yeah, to balance it, so you don't use the alt fire all the time, you could have it use up more shells, or have a different type of ammo altogether. Although I'm not sure that's possible in edge, I'm not too famiiar with how it work, but from what I've seen it's a pretty flexible source port.

Jello said:

Have a different type of ammo altogether. Although I'm not sure that's possible in edge.

It's possible.

SEC_AMMOTYPE=AMMO9; //Flame Shells.
      SEC_AMMOPERSHOT=1;  //Has to be defined

Before this even came up, I got the idea from the game "Undying" to give my shotgun phosphorus shells for its alt-fire. However, I made it necessary to load the different type of shell before you shoot it, making it take longer to shoot and balancing out the power of each firing type(also the phosphorous shells are in less supply).

Looks like this idea of fire shells is going to be done a lot in other mods as well...

Caco-Puff said:

This isnt a BB gun with a pump.

Ur an idiot, Shotgun doesnt shoot single BBS, it shoots High velocity Pellets that burst from a shotgun shell. A single shotgun shell is filled with these. When you fire a shotgun the hammer hits the tip at the end of the shell which is filled with gunpowder. The gun powder explodes the shell and the pellets release from the shell. That is why it shoots multiple projectiles at low accuracy.