Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CodeImp

Doom Builder map editor version 1.66 released!

Yes thats right, I did some hard work the last couple weeks and here it is, Doom Builder 1.66! If you already have Doom Builder 1.60 or newer, get the patch. If you dont have Doom Builder yet, or you have a version older than 1.60, get the full installation. Ofcourse it is still free and the source code is available here. You can see what has changed in this changelog. Any questions about this version?

CodeImp said:
Any questions about this version?

Why isn't it v1.666?

myk said:

Why isn't it v1.666?

In the name of all that you hold holy, PLEASE do this for next version.

Nice upgrade and I like the error checking thinghy plus the 3d window mode, however I've discovered that DB now crashes when I try to insert a prefab I made using the olde version (whatever that last one was 1.64). I'm just getting the standard error thing in windows that says 'Doom Builder generated errors and will be closed by windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created'. Id post the log if I could find it if it was worth posting.

Who ever said the new DB is compitable with old prefabs? :P No I tried to keep compatability, but I guess I failed then. Have you tried creating a new prefab?

CodeImp said:

Who ever said the new DB is compitable with old prefabs? :P No I tried to keep compatability, but I guess I failed then. Have you tried creating a new prefab?

New prefabs work fine. Oh well, figured id mention it. I'll just remake em all sometime. No biggie, just a pain. I'm sure nobody else is a prefab whore. :P

I like the error checking feature, but I think it could use some work, for two reasons.

1. It's not possible to select several errors/warnings at once and have them fixed all at once with a single click.
2. When you select an error/warning and click on the Fix button, the next error/warning is not automatically selected, so you have to do that manually before clicking on the button again.

It could probably be argued that 2. is not desireable (although I'd disagree), but I think 1. would be very nice to have. Right now, fixing, say, 50 errors takes 100 mouse clicks at least, which is rather tedious (especially when it's the same error over and over again for different objects).

Outside of that, I noticed that the "About" dialog does not work.

Haven't looked into it much outside of that yet, but it looks nice. :)

The about dialog works fine for me. Ill give 1 and 2 a thought, they are good suggestions. Ill have to let the user know in the description that maybe not all of the selected errors can be fixed automatically tho.

Excellent new version CodeImp, I'm really liking the windowed 3D mode a lot.

For the next version how about an option to disable the clipping done so that everything forward of the camera is always drawn. I use DB's 3D mode to aid in developing my own prog SCUDD and it would be nice to be able to tell at a galance if anything looked weird by zooming way out...

Intel Extreme Graphics arent supported by anything, nor anything it.

Well, as the dialog says; See if you can change some options in the 3D Mode configuration, because many of those options require a specific support on your videocard which you obviously dont have. Turning some options off lowers the requirements. Also, what iori said, onboard videocards do not have anything close to 3D graphics features, they are just enough for Windows and Word ;)

DaniJ: In the 3D Mode configuration, increase the "view distance".

CodeImp said:

The about dialog works fine for me. Ill give 1 and 2 a thought, they are good suggestions. Ill have to let the user know in the description that maybe not all of the selected errors can be fixed automatically tho.

Maybe you could put a small icon (like a wrench or so) next to items that can be fixed automatically? A "Select all fixable items" button would also be nice. :)

DaniJ: In the 3D Mode configuration, increase the "view distance".

Cheers that dun it.

While I was in there I noticed that I can set DB up so that the "2D mode texture browser" can be used instead of the "normal" fullscreen one. Much better, I find that one a lot quicker to use for some reason... Anyway when using it whenever I scroll the window the screen flickers a bit. Not really a problem but just thought I'd mention it (XPpro SP2, nV mx440).

Any chance of a mini automap style thingy while in 3D mode? /me ducks
(the idea being wherever you click in the minimap the camera instantly warps to that point. A click + drag would set the direction of the camera as well)

You can press CTRL+W (or whatever key you bind to it) to place the 3D Mode Start thing at your mousecursor on the map and when you enter 3D Mode, it will start right there. Will that do it?

You can press CTRL+W (or whatever key you bind to it) to place the 3D Mode Start thing at your mousecursor on the map and when you enter 3D Mode, it will start right there. Will that do it?

I really should RTFM I guess...

Now that I can quickly swap between 2D/3D mode the above works pretty well thanks, so I guess a minimap isn't really needed.

The "view distance" setting helped a bit but I would like to disable the clipping so that I can zoom out an see the entire map(not really necessary though).

A few random ideas (feel free to discard):

My #1 feature request would be more mouse/key combinations to customise the controls with. For instance I'd love to be able to assign Mouse2+WheelUp/Down to stuff.

What are your thoughts on macros? (so that eg a string of commands can be recorded and played back upon key press).

I'm not sure you'll go for this but heres an idea for manually aligning textures in 3D mode:
Hold down a key and DB remembers what surface is picked upon keydown. While said key is held down the camera locks (can't be moved) and control of texture panning is given to the mouse. The center of the texture would be snapped to the mouse cursor so that moving the mouse would scroll the texture on that surface. keyup would then release the texture and camera. I'm thinking about speed here but obviously the position would still need to be fine tuned using the keys.

Something else that would speed things up: The ability to move textures by 8 pixels at a time as well as 1 pixel (like the raise/lower floor/ceiling).

How about raise floor/ceiling to next highest/lowest floor/ceiling shortcuts in 3D mode?

Select a group of sectors in 2D mode, switch to 3D mode and then use floor/ceiling lower/raise and it effects all the selected sectors (as it works in 2D modes sector edit dialog with the --/++ opperands basically).

I've got two random suggestions for DB:
1. Ruler tool. This would do nothing on the map, however, it could be used to measure distances on the map in the same way as Create Linedef can be used.

2. Draw Line tool. This also wouldn't a thing on the map itself, but it could be used to draw guide lines on the screen, much like you can draw lines on different layers in photoshop, paint shop pro and others.

Also, an option to stich vertices to the guide lines would be nice (the guide lines would be considered as pseudo linedefs by the program, or something like that).

I guess if anything would be really really desirable in the error checker, for those of us who like to fix certain kinds of errors manually, would be for the error check dialog to not be modal with the rest of DB. One should not have to close the error check box in order to manually fix an error then have to rescan from start again. Other than that, 'tis cool.

Suggestions, suggestions... I just released a new version, so you're late :P There will be another version, but it takes some time, it wont be tomorrow. Ill keep the suggestions and consider them when im up to that part again ;)

For the next version, please try to implement a thing editor in 3D.
I would do it myself, but i dont want to pay 120 Euro for VB, neither do i want to warez it.

How about a way to switch from 3d windowed mode to 3d full screen mode via a press of a key or did I miss that someplace. :p

Also I would like it better if a selected line would highlight any tagged sectors without having to keep the cursor over said line. It would help to find the tagged sectors on some of these big maps. Maybe this is anouther one of my bad ideas. ;)

Also it would be nice to have arrow indicators on the things that aren't monsters. Some of the models in Doomsday look better when they're aligned to whatever direction you want.

Doom Dude said:

Also it would be nice to have arrow indicators on the things that aren't monsters. Some of the models in Doomsday look better when they're aligned to whatever direction you want.

You could just edit some config file to show the arrows for other things...

Someone mentioned about thing editing in 3d mode... So things needs to be shown in the 3d mode then. I think they could be represented as some colored boxes that show the monster radius/height. They should be in correct Z position too. Some objects are hanging from the ceiling, hexen allows Z positioning anyway.

The thing boxes could have some angle arrow in the bottom and top and on the sides there could be some characters: F, L, R and B.

Or maybe they could just use the sprites... though then you can not see the direction with objects that only have one angle, but in engines that support models, they have all angles when models are used.

The fixing tool could check if there's things that are stuck to walls/other things or are fully outside the play area. If things have height defined in the config files, the fixing tool could also check if a thing is in a sector that is too low for the thing fit into it.

You could just edit some config file to show the arrows for other things...

Never thought of that. Might try hacking it later.

Hacking? If it wasnt meant to be changed, I wouldnt have put all that information in readable text files. These configurations add much flexibility to Doom Builder, and I encourage you to play with it ;)