Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
cycloid

bex: how to create a new monster missile attack?

i've been messing about attempting to upgrade my baron of hell to have a bit of a meaner attack than the hell knight and have tried to use the PainAttack pointer to fire a missle, changing the lost soul so it's properties match that of the standard slimeball, for example. this works fine if the slimeball hits the player but upon striking a wall it stops dead and floats there forever (though the explosion animation does play on impact before it reverts to floaty mode)

anyone else (using bex for maximum cross-port compatibility) managed to create a totally new missile attack without breaking much else... e.g. would it be possible to use the demon spawner cube?

tried searching these here forums to no avail, before anyone asks

Xenophon said:

How about make it throw 2 slimeballs at exactly the same time?

That's a pretty good idea, but wouldn't that freaking hurt?
Btw, I tried the spawn cube thing, but the monster kept killing itself. The spawn cubes are hostile to monsters.

i'd already thought of the two-at-once idea but would like the slimeballs to be red. currently i'm using the cacodemon's fireball instead and the cacodemon fires "double" imp fireballs. not the most elegant solution.

Dehacked is far too limited for this kind of changes. If you really need it you should consider using a source port which has custom monster support.

Xenophon said:

Notepad.

So you make some sort of script in notepad,im a newbie at this kind of thing sorry :(
Is there an tutorial somewhere that explains how to make new monsters.
Because i want to make my own monsters,but don't know how to do this.

Quast said:

for zdoom obviously

Thanks man im going to try to make an monster,lets see if im any good at it.
Im building a wad right now and want to use my own custom monsters.
Its not going to be an easy job for me to pull off,if i have any questions i know where to ask them :)

studied the source and figured out what happens with the lost soul:

1. it's spawned (spawn state)
2. it's "flying skull" flag is set
3. it's launched towards the player
4. once it hits something it's re-set to it's spawn state

if you set it's projectile flag then that'll cause it to "die" when it hits a player or monster but when it hits the world the "flying skull" flag is checked first and that's what causes it to revert to it's spawn state and just sit there

knowing this i tried inserting events such as Chase and Look in it's spawn state, to interesting effect. by setting it's move or attack states to the same as the die state (the explosion anim) it'll either pause once it hits a wall then explode after a moment or sometimes explode before it travells very far after being launched...

so i got close but if only you could somehow force it not to set the flying-skull bitflag

conclusion: cant be dont in deh/bex

Yeah this is something that's beyond the scope of pure DeHackEd/BEX. MBF and Eternity contain extensions in the form of new codepointers that make stuff like this extremely simple, however, so it's up to you if you want to move up and restrict the project's compatibility to a specific port, or stay down and alter your design for the monster.

yeah i'll stick with the doubled up attack. problem is i've actually got two new monsters so there are a lot of imp fireballs flying around, heh.

Hasnt anyone ever used BEX to make an attack that uses particles, like the famous Railgun?, how about a sort of rec 'beam' of particles that leaves a trail of particles behind, like the attack used by the "Black Knight" or whatever he was in Quake?